[Feature Request] Rescan Saved Passwords for Watchtower Strength Reports

Options
Ind3X
Ind3X
Community Member
edited December 2022 in Mac

Hi 1Password Team

I've been playing around with 1Password 8 to get to grips with changes since v7 and noticed that when I created a new entry in my vault for a login which already exists, the newer entry gave a lower PW Strength rating to my newer entry, despite it being the same PW as in the old entry. This makes sense as best practices with passwords have changed a fair bit since I started using 1Password / Watchtower, but this has lead me to wanting to review all my currently stored passwords, which were saved a long time ago in 1P, and generate a more accurate Watchtower report.

Would it be possible to add a 'rescan passwords' feature to 1Password which would check my password strength ratings against whatever algorithm you are currently using, instead of still reporting password strength based on an older version of watchtower / 1P?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi there @Ind3X

Watchtower already re-scans all your items when you open the Watchtower tab in the sidebar. I saw you mentioned:

when I created a new entry in my vault for a login which already exists, the newer entry gave a lower PW Strength rating to my newer entry, despite it being the same PW as in the old entry

Passwords that aren't generated by 1Password will always rank lower in strength, even if they're identical to a generated password and copied across. 1Password can assess the randomness of the passwords it generates, but not ones that it's provided (either by you manually entering it, or by copying and pasting). Since it can't tell the difference between a password you've pasted in, or one that you've manually entered, it doesn't know that this password was originally generated, so it will rank lower in strength.

I hope that explains what's happening, but please let me know if you have any questions. :)

— Grey

This discussion has been closed.