Nonstandard Login Fields

cowshill
cowshill
Community Member
edited December 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

I am investigating switching from LastPass to 1Password and am having difficulty with websites that have nonstandard login fields. For example the login fields for my local library account are labeled Ticket Number and Surname, and 1Password doesn't seem able to deal with these. LastPass is quite sophisticated in allowing one to deal with these irregular fields, but so far I have not found a way to handle them in 1Password. Am I missing something or does 1Password just not have this ability?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hey @cowshill ,

Welcome here at 1Password. 👍

You could try filling out all the fields you need to log in and then save the credentials with the help of the browser extension. The new entry should have all fields included.

Let me show an example. I got a website where 3 fields have to be filled out. The first field is a custom field.

Now I type in all the information and use the inline 1Password icon to save the entry as a new one.

Now when opening the website you could see the fields again and their defaults. I click into a field and select the formerly saved new entry with its custom field.

As you can see, the custom field Benutzergruppe is filled automatically, too.

So it should work to fill out custom fields. But maybe you have to let 1Password detect the fields and create a new entry from specified website.

I hope it works for you, too. 😉

• cowshill
    cowshill
    Community Member

Thank you for your input. I managed to get 1P to save the Ticket Number and Surname fields, but it doesn't seem to recognise that there are no username or password fields. So even though there is a saved entry for the library website it doesn't offer to fill the fields when I go to the website. It thinks it should write the ticket number into username field and the surname into a password field, but there are no such fields on the web page. So I'm still trying things to see if there is a way to make it work.

I think the reason your example works is because you are adding a third field to the username and password fields. But apparently those two fields have to be there. I need a solution for when there are no fields named username or password.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hey @cowshill ,

Do you have a website for me, so I could test?

• cowshill
    cowshill
    Community Member

Sorry, the only websites I can find with this issue (not having username and/or password fields in the login) require you to already have some information (such as the ticket number for the library) in order to log in. You have to already belong to the organisation to create an online account.

• Hey @cowshill,

We can take a look at the page structure to see if we can suggest ways for you to fill the fields if you would like to send it over in an email? Here's how:

Navigate to the page you are having trouble filling on.

1. Right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar.
    2. Click Help and choose Collect Page Structure.
    3. 1Password will save a .json file to your "Downloads" folder.
    4. Attach the downloaded .json file to an email addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

This discussion has been closed.