grooming imported passwords

daveatkins
daveatkins
Community Member
edited December 2022 in Mac

I would think that what I'm trying to do is a common practice, so looking for some guidance. I imported my passwords and now I have 1Password pre-populated with like 250 or so items. Many of these...I don't even know what the websites are for. So I was thinking I would go through, log in with the saved password and "clean things up." I am updating this because a bit of practice educated me...what I have found works well is to review my saved passwords and figure out how to login first. Then, delete all the old entries in 1Password. Then, reset my password and make sure the 1Password entry is complete. Then...test it on my phone to see if i can log in easily without having to remember the password or login. This seems to work well and exposes any problems. The key is to take things one at a time and go through patiently. Some of these saved passwords are really bogus and I just delete those. But I am finding things I forgot about, so it is good to review them and get them documented and working with the new system.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi there @daveatkins

Welcome to 1Password! It sounds like you want to do a bit of an audit on the items you've imported. I'd suggest following the steps in this article from the 1Password Support website as a starting point:

Use the password generator to change and strengthen your passwords

Clearing out unused accounts and making stronger passwords for your items will probably be one of those tasks that takes a little time, but will be well worth doing.

If you need any help or run into any trouble doing so, you can get individual help by email at support@1password.com, or you can post here for more general advice. :)

— Grey

This discussion has been closed.