How to trigger Masked Email Prompt

gordon3834
gordon3834
Community Member
edited December 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

I love the idea behind the masked email feature. I have a Fastmail account and have it linked in integrations. The problem I'm having is that I'm almost never given a chance to create a masked email. I would say roughly 90% of the time if I click the email field on the web, there is no option to create a masked email with 1Password. By contrast Safari's built-in/iCloud masked email feature virtually always pops up on these fields.

I thought maybe there was a limitation of the Safari extension, but I didn't have any better luck in Chrome or Firefox. Is there a way to manually generate a masked email? I can do it through Fastmail but then the email address is totally unlinked from 1Password.

1Password Version: 8.9.11
Extension Version: 2.4.1
OS Version: 13.1 (22C65)
Browser:_ Safari, Firefox, Chrome

Comments

• Hey @gordon3834,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

We have an open feature request to be able to manually create a new masked email if 1Password doesn't suggest one so I will add your voice to this. In the meantime, if you have Fastmail open in the browser, you can generate a masked email there, copy it, and then paste it into the form on the page. I realize this is not ideal, but it should achieve what you're looking for.

If you find you are not seeing the option to create a masked email on specific websites please let us know the website URL's so we can take a look and try to improve the behaviour on these pages in a future update.

I hope this helps, let us know if you have any questions!

ref: IDEA-I-640

• martinewski
    martinewski
    Community Member

This is still an ongoing issue. I moved my email to Fastmail mainly due to this integration, but it usually doesn't work. Having to do it all
    manually is disappointing.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @martinewski, sorry to hear about the issues with the Fastmail integration. I'd like to ask a few questions to better understand what is happening:

• What browser are you using and what version of the extension do you have installed?
    • Are you having trouble on a specific website? If so, what is the URL to it?
    • Do you get a suggestion to create a login with a masked email address on our form at https://fill.dev/form/registration-email?

Looking forward to help with this further. Talk to you again soon.

• martinewski
    martinewski
    Community Member

Hi @Joy_1P

I'm using Safari. The extension is version 2.8.1 (shown in Extensions, on Safari Preferences).

I usually (but not exclusively) have the issue where a site asks for an email only. Some require only an email, some ask for the email and the password is asked on a later stage. The last one I had the issue is an online store at digorestte.com.br. When going to checkout, it asks for an email, shipping info etc.

I do get a suggestion to create a masked email on the form at the url you provided.

All the best.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2023

@martinewski Thanks for the link. I was able to reproduce the issue as you had described. The issue here seems to be that 1Password is not recognizing or designating the Email field properly. 1Password should be suggesting email addresses from Identities but it seems to want to suggest logins. I've reported the behavior there to our developers. Hopefully they can create a fix for this in the future.

Unfortunately, the digorestte.com.br website uses a Shopify checkout form. So the issue likely impacts all Shopify checkout forms, which is why you have encountered this on many websites. For now, I recommend generating a masked email from Fastmail's website when you check out on a Shopify form. It's not always clear if a website is using Shopify, but most Shopify checkout forms look very similar. Just use the checkout form on digorestte.com.br as a guide.

I hope that you'll be able to use the workaround above. If you have any questions or run into any other issues, please let us know.

ref: dev/core/core#20645

• Pfhortune
    Pfhortune
    Community Member

Looks like this is still an issue as of August 2023. I am unable to create a masked email for Adobe, as shown in this screenshot.

Any ETA on when manual masked email will be implemented? May I suggest adding the option to this menu? No need to overthink the UX.

• Frits
    Frits
    Community Member

I would like to second the suggestion made by @Pfhortune. On most sites where I try to change the existing email address out for a masked one, the Fastmail integration does not work and 1password only suggests the email address already on file. Having an option in the "EDIT" functionality, as a suggestion in the 'add another field' menu to add Masked Email, would help enormously. Having to have fastmail open in another browser, just to create masked emails, sort of defeats the purpose of the fastmail integration in 1password ;-)