Location of Local Encrypted Vault File on Windows for Offline Access

Mycenius
Mycenius
Community Member
edited January 2023 in Windows

Hi All - was looking through old posts but couldn't find anything since 2020 on this (and nothing specifically in the help on it) - can someone confirm where the local copy of the encrypted vault file(s) should be found in Windows 10 and if this is different at all between 1PW v7 and v8? Also what is the file naming scheme/extension? TIA.

1Password Version: 8.9.10
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Ekalb
    Ekalb
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

Hello,
    The file is : 1password.sqlite
    It's in the folder: : Name of your session > Appdata > Local > 1Password.
    Unless I am mistaken, it is this file that serves as an intermediary between the encrypted data in the cloud and your 1Password application.
    1Password decrypts the data that are in 1password.sqlite and displays them in your app 1Password.

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member

Great - Thanks @Ekalb - Yeah I'm looking to update my notes in case I ever have an issue. Do you know if the vault can be extracted/opened from the sqlite file without 1PW app? Is or should all this be in the Knowledgebase somewhere - I did look but couldn't find it?

• Ekalb
    Ekalb
    Community Member

Hello,
    Only the 1Password app that created that particular sqlite is guaranteed to be able to open it.
    Unless I am mistaken, 1password.sqlite created by the Windows application cannot be opened with the Mac application (and vice versa). These are two different applications that each create their own 1password.sqlite.

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member

Great Thanks @Ekalb - appreciate the info. Good to know and help understand things.

(P.S. I won't repeat verbatim what I said in my similar query in the Mac section but FWIW see my reasons for asking in post #5 here: Location of Local Encrypted Vault File on Mac for Offline Access).

• Hello @Mycenius,

Thanks for your reply. As quick note, same details about the 1password.sqlite file apply on all platforms using 1Password 8, aside from the location itself. So we're not duplicating answers, I'll close this thread and have responded in the other post you've mentioned from the Mac section. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.