Allow for more complicated password recipes / remember recipes per site

Options
cobaltjacket
cobaltjacket
Community Member

I would like to request two related features:

1. I often need to generate passwords that have a number and a special character. Basically if both can somehow be part of the recipe, that would meet my needs.
  2. I often also need to rotate passwords for a given site frequently. These sites are a violation of NIST 800-63B, but the services are stupid about this and I don't see them changing their policies any time soon. These sites often require numbers and special characters AND often have a character limit of say 16 or 20 characters. It would be nice to save the recipe settings for individual sites for this reason - and this way the "default" recipe is more secure.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hey there @cobaltjacket

You might find that 1Password in the browser already meets this need. Give this a try:

1. Open 1Password in the toolbar of your browser and click (≡) > Password Generator.
    2. Change the Type to Smart Password.

If the website in question is following standards and encoding its password requirements in its code, 1Password can read that and can automatically generate a password that meets the requirements.

If not, you can set a default recipe for the password generator like this:

1. Open 1Password in the toolbar of your browser and click (≡) > Password Generator.
    2. Set the recipe as you would like, including turning on numbers and symbols. (If these options are greyed out, change the _Type _from Smart Password to Random or Memorable.)
    3. Turn on "Use as default for suggestions" at the bottom.

Then, any suggested password you see, or any password you generate will (by default) follow the recipe you've just set.

I look forward to hearing how you get on. If you need something different, let me know and I'll be happy to help. :)

— Grey

This discussion has been closed.