1Password For Safari Bogs Down Safari On macOS Ventura

pappjo
pappjo
Community Member
edited December 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

I believe I had previously posted something similar when I had originally installed 1Password 8 and the Safari extension on my previous Intel 2013 MacBook Pro. On that computer the Safari extension had quite an impact on the system. Launching Safari would result in multiple bounces of the icon in the dock accompanied by the the rainbow spinner for several seconds before Safari was finally launched and the window opened. That computer could only support Big Sur. I deleted the extension and continued to use the main app.

With my new M2 MacBook Air on the current Ventura release I expected that this would not be an issue. So I was surprised when after downloading the extension from the Mac App Store, before even enabling it, to see the Safari icon bounce a couple times when launching Safari, no rainbow spinner and the process was certainly faster than on that 2013 machine but surprising nevertheless. Since it is a new computer that I’m still exploring and getting used to I considered that there might be something else affecting this. But I don’t want to see this on the latest Mac so I deleted the extension and Safari immediately went back to one click and one bounce with the window immediately opening. As there was never such an issue with the previous 1Password version 7 even on that older machine I am quite surprised to see this issue in the latest offering. For now I have the main app version 8 installed and it works without issue, as it did on the old laptop, but I will not install that extension again. Most of my usage occurs on my iPad Pro and iPhone where I do have version 8 installed and have yet to run into any such issues. Fortunately I believe I can revert to version 7 if that becomes necessary.

As on that old computer once launched I detected no issue in Safari's behavior with that extension in place. However when I have paid as much as I have for this most recent Apple computer this is not what I want to see. and it was immediately apparent, before downloading the extension from the Mac App Store Safari was as fast to launch as I expected. As soon as the extension was installed Safari launches appeared to stall momentarily. I had submitted diagnostics to Agilebits and received followup when I first encountered this on the 2013 computer. The reply I received seemed to suggest there was an issue with Intel devices. But clearly there is still some issue. The MacBook Air was set up as new without migrating anything and both extension and the main app were new installations.

1Password Version: 8.9.11
Extension Version: 2.4.1
OS Version: macOS 13.1
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hi @pappjo,

Thanks for taking the time to provide these details, I'm so sorry 1Password in Safari hasn't been as smooth an experience as we would hope. If you're open to some troubleshooting, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach this to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so I can link your diagnostic report to what you've written here. We'll take a look and let you know what we find. 🙂

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member

I had previously done all that with my old computer back in the Fall I believe. I received a response here from one of your guys, maybe I can find that post. At that time I was using a 2013 MacBook Pro and there was a significant issue in launching Safari. The only thing mentioned was that it was only being seen on Intel macs. But that’s obviously not the case. Even though Safari does launch properly it hangs, or bounces a couple times before opening to a window. There is no beachball or any other indication of a system problem but I just got this computer and there should be no lag in launching an app. It’s disheartening to see that there is still some issue with this extension. My guess is that logs or diagnostics would only show the same as my last report but this time I can’t be told that it’s because it’s an Intel machine. Perhaps it’s the M chip units that have this problem.

I mostly use my ios devices and 1PW 8 doesn’t create any issues, not even Face ID issues. When I deleted 1Password for Safari the app returned to its normal snappy self. I plan to leave it that way and just leave the main 1PW 8 app on it to access when needed. It’s ironic that 1 Password 7 had caused no issues whatsoever either on that old computer nor any iOS device. If I need to re-install the extension again on the MacBook Air I believe I would just revert to 7 which I believe is still listed in the Mac App Store.

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member

It was actually much longer ago that I complained about this on that Intel mac. This is a link to the thread I started back then. I was contacted by email around that time and submitted logs at the time, I think.
    https://1password.community/discussion/130420/1password-for-safari-extension-makes-safari-launches-sluggish#latest

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2022

@pappjo

You said Intel then and M series now. Did you use migration assistant or the like to move between the two? If so I would start with a reinstallation. If you used migration assistant it may have carried over the Intel version of the app. I have seen a few occurrences of behavior that sounds like what you experienced.

• Make sure all of your data is available on https://my.1password.com and ensure you have a copy of your 🚒 Emergency Kit along with your password.

• Your data is maintained outside of the app and will be completely safe. * Please be mindful to follow the steps below, especially the part about NOT using an app cleaner. They have been known to remove user's data, and we DO NOT want that to happen.

1. Quit all open web browsers, especially Safari.
      2. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click on the helper and select quit.
      3. Drag 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.
      4. Restart the Mac.
      5. Download 1Password 8
      6. Quit any open web browsers and then install 1Password.
      7. Open and unlock 1Password before opening your web browser.

--

I did not see any recent reports on our end. Please send the report if the trouble continues.

--

The above assumes you wish to work with 1Password 8 and 1Password for Safari.

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member

I had initially migrated 1 PW 8 from the Intel Mac, but not the Safari extension as I had long before deleted that because of the issue I mentioned. That initial migration must have brought over the Intel version as the need to install Rosetta popped up. But that new M2 MBA had to be replaced because of a screen issue and the new one was set up from scratch. No migration. So everything was a new download and installation from your site and the Mac App Store. This is the one that I again experienced the Safari lag with the extension installed. Not as bad as before on that Intel Mac but noticeable. Deleting it has now returned to Safari launching immediately. I prefer it that way.

This discussion has been closed.