To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1Password account password requirements

Comments

• TambourineMan
    TambourineMan
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

I am seeking LastPass replacement and considering 1Password. What is the maximum password length allowed? Are any symbols disallowed in it?

Can I paste part of it from a encrypted VeraCrypt vault? Can part of it be pasted from a keyboard macro? Can I login on a smartphone using an NFC Yubikey? does it permit fingerprint sign in?

• Hi @TambourineMan

Welcome to the 1Password Support Community, and thank you for considering 1Password for your password management needs. To not get too far off the original topic of the other thread (PBKDF2 iterations), I've split your comment into its own thread. This way we can better ensure both subjects get the attention they deserve.

What is the maximum password length allowed?

I'm having a little difficulty finding the maximum number of characters off-hand, but I can say for sure at least 50 characters are allowed.

Are any symbols disallowed in it?

Likewise I'm not finding anything suggesting specific characters are explicitly disallowed, but I do recommend sticking to the characters that are available on a US-English keyboard, due to how different characters/inputs may be interpreted by various devices.

Can I paste part of it from a encrypted VeraCrypt vault?

The account password field will accept pastes from the system clipboard.

Can part of it be pasted from a keyboard macro?

Depending on your system, it may not accept macros. For example, on macOS we use Secure Input, which prevents 3rd party macro utilities from reading or interacting with the field.

Can I login on a smartphone using an NFC Yubikey?

A Yubikey can be used as a second factor for authorizing devices but it is not supported as an account password substitute.

Use your security key as a second factor for your 1Password account

does it permit fingerprint sign in?

Yes:

Please note though that these options do not replace the account password, and there are circumstances where the account password will need to be typed even with one of these options enabled.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• TambourineMan
    TambourineMan
    Community Member

@Ben

Fantastic! Thanks so much for your quick and complete response.

• Happy to help! If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.