Nested Tags in the browser

Options

New user trialing 1Password. Find myself unable to add nested tags using the / (slash) in latest Chrome per the documentation.
I just end up with banking/credit union and banking/bank with no nesting. I also can't find a way to add a second tag to any entry. Should tags be fully working in the browser including adding nested tags?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.5.1
OS Version: macOS 12.6.1
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

Unfortunately, nested tags are displayed as nested only in the desktop and mobile app, but neither in the browser plugin nor on the website my.1password.com. This is probably WIP - the website has more features missing that were introduced with the version 8 client.

If you're trialing 1Password, I recommend you download the desktop app. It's much more comfortable to manage items with it than the website. To assign multiple tags on the website, separate them with , (comma) on the input line. With the desktop app, editing is more intuitive. I see the website only as fallback if I somehow don't have access to the desktop app.

• @J1234Security

I believe Tertius3 was able to help. Let us know if you have other questions. I would also note you indicated 12.6.1 in use. I would recommend updating to 12.6.2 when possible.

• J1234Security
    J1234Security
    Community Member
    Options

Appreciate the candor @Tertius3
    So it sounds like the website interface and plugin are feature incomplete and alpha quality and have remained that way for quite a while. This is a surprise.
    Where are such limitations documented so a trial user can make a fair assessment and not be needlessly frustrated?

Can 1Password confirm what the plan and timeline are to get these two beyond their alpha state?

Thanks

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

@J1234Security I believe you're seeing this a bit upside down. The website resembles the status of 1Password from 2 or 3 years back. The current version 8 app is a brand new complete rewrite with every platform in mind to have a state of the art common feature set for all platforms as well as state of the art user experience. The browser plugin is just some autofill-helper with the barest minimum of features to find items, not intended to really manage and edit. At least this is how I see it. The website is a bit lackluster, but it's not really an issue, having the desktop or mobile app.

If you switch from a different password manager, you need to adapt your workflow to the workflow implemented by the new password manager. If you try it the other way round by forcing your old workflow on the new password manager, you will probably fail, because you will not make the developers change their design. Small things, but not the design. If you cannot adapt to a slightly different workflow with some things, best would be to find a different password manager that better implements your required workflow.

So you should try and find how 1Password offers its functionality. The main access should be the desktop app, or the mobile app if you're on mobile. The desktop browser plugin connects to the running app and does autofill. The website is for billing and family member management, in case you're using a family account. If you're in the trial period, you probably imported some data. Re-organizing and sorting this data is a major task, a barrier you have to overcome with much frustration, because you will probably have the tedious task to edit and correct quite some entries, remove duplicates, re-label things and so on.

I switched to 1Password about 2 years ago. It was some work go get into, because it's necessary to prepare all item data properly, so autofill works best. The most difficult thing for me then was the feature disparity between website, v7 desktop app and v7 mobile app, because they were many distinct developments with distinct feature set, and even disparity between Windows/Mac platform or iOS/Android platform. But this is not an issue today. Today there is the unified v8 client for all desktop and mobile platforms with equal feature set, and the website is only good for billing and account management but not vault data management. The most important thing, i. e. finding logins and autofill works seemlessly, now I understand how to use the software.

• J1234Security
    J1234Security
    Community Member
    Options

Very, very informative and thank you for taking the time to reveal so much, @Tertius3 !
    I'll take my medicine and download the desktopper :)

• We look forward to learning what you think of the desktop app, @J1234Security! If you have any questions, do let us know - we'll be here to help. And we'll continue to do our best to enable great experiences across desktop, mobile, and browser alike.

• J1234Security
    J1234Security
    Community Member
    Options

So far, so good! The desktop-app-first/desktop-driven approach is unusual and unexpected. Perhaps that can be made piercingly clear for new users up front so they don't have to pull it out of community lore.
    Best, Jon

• @J1234Security,

Thank you for the feedback Jon, let us know if there is anything else we can help with!

This discussion has been closed.