can't sync between iPhone and Mac using iTunes

jmorris
edited December 2012 in iOS
I'm trying to follow the directions at

http://learn.agilebi...-to-itunes.html

but I can't find a file named 1Password.agilekeychain in the Library > Application Support > 1Password folder on my Mac. There are only folders in that location - no files.

I'm using 1Password v3.8.20 on my Mac and 1Password v4.0.3 on my iPhone. Can you help me with this?

Comments

• TonyK
    TonyK
    Community Member
    Are you going to user user's Library folder or the system Library folder? Here is a string you can copy paste in to Finder's Go To Folder (Command + Shift + G)

~/Library/Application Support/1Password/
  • I was going to my user's Library folder, but I just checked the system Library folder and the file was there. That was the ticket - syncing is now successful.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    If the data file is in your system Library folder I would expect that you would have some problems with read-write access since user accounts are not supposed to access system files. I'm not sure how your data file would have ended up there. Are you sure you don't have the user Library and system Library confused?

I just want to make sure you don't have any trouble down the road. The default location of a 1Password 3.8 data file is:

Users > [username] > Library > Application Support > 1Password > 1Password.agilekeychain

If yours is located in your system Library for some reason, I would strongly recommend moving it back to the default location.
  • I moved it to my Library and re-directed 1Password to that file. So far, so good. Thanks for the help.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Great news! Thanks for letting me know that everything is working well. :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!
  • sparks14
    sparks14
    Community Member
    If you want to sync with iTunes you have to first unhide the Library dir if you have Lion. Go into Terminal and run "sudo chflags nohidden ~/Library". Then follow the directions to sync with a Mac and iTunes. Then go into settings on your iPhone and merge the files.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Please proceed with caution. What you described is not supported. Direct syncing via USB is in the works. It is currently in private beta testing, and we hope to make it available soon.
  • sparks14
    sparks14
    Community Member
    So are you saying the only supported way to sync with 1Password 4 on an iPhone with iOS and a Mac with OSX Lion is via Drop Box?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Actual syncing, yes, until 1Password 4 for Mac is released. Dropbox is the method by which 1Password 4 for iOS syncs with 1Password 3 for Mac. 1Password 4 for Mac will add iCloud as an option. To transfer data files unidirectionally for backup/restore purposes you can use iTunes File Sharing, but it does not offer true syncing.

I'm not at liberty to provide a time frame for either, but I expect direct syncing via USB to be available as an option for 1Password 4 for iOS and 1Password 3 for Mac before 1Password 4 for Mac is released.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with in the meantime.
This discussion has been closed.