Wrong One-Time Password codes (codes from the future)

Options

My 1PW version 7 on Windows 10 creates the wrong codes (codes from the future).

What I did: I had trouble to paste the QR-Code to my 1PW on Windows 10. It did nothing with any QR-Code on my screen nor with a picture of the QR-Code. So my solution was to scan the code with my 1PW 7 on my iOS Device and to copy the secret string and pasting it to 1PW on Windows 7. The codes will now genereated on Windows but they are wrong. They also differ from iOS. On iOS they are correct.

What I noticed, that 1PW on Windows generates codes which are valid after 2 iterations (2x 30 seconds). Whyt I mean, the 1PW codes from windows I see exactly on iOS ... but 2 iterations later.

How can it be? Windows and iOS are using the same secret.

1Password Version: 7.9.828
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @pauLee

Is your Windows PC set to the same date/time & timezone as your iOS device? And is it set to sync its time with an NTP server? There is a 3rd party article available on configuring these settings, here:

How to Synchronize the Clock in Windows 10 with Internet or Atomic Time

I would recommend using the pool.ntp.org time server. The most common cause of OTP issues is inaccurate time. Please let us know how that checks out.

Ben

• pauLee
    pauLee
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Ben, yes my clocks are in sync.
    Even if they were not, the token generation must be correct. iOS and Windows are not dependent on each other.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@paulLee

OTP relies on very accurate time.

• pauLee
    pauLee
    Community Member
    Options

To sum up: time is not my problem.

• @pauLee

1PW on Windows generates codes which are valid after 2 iterations (2x 30 seconds)

This would suggest your PC's clock is about 1 minute fast. Go to https://time.is/ to compare your system clock to internet time. If it needs adjusting, that will solve the problem.

This discussion has been closed.