To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I have 1Password 7 for Mac. I'm looking to upgrade to 8, but I need my Secret Key.

radioactivebug
radioactivebug
Community Member
edited January 2023 in Memberships

I have 1Password 7 for Mac. I'm looking to upgrade to 8, but I need my Secret Key. I've followed the instructions and went to 1Password, preferences, then accounts, but I have no accounts and therefore no Secret Key. I've tried searching for this in topics, but can't find anything. Thoughts?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Ventura 13.1
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Secret Key

Comments

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member

You aren't running a 'local vault' just on your Mac are you? You may not have secret key for that as its only used for vaults stored on 1Password.com and similar.

• radioactivebug
    radioactivebug
    Community Member

Thanks Mycenius. I'm not sure what kind of account I have, I know it's 1Password 7 on my Mac, but it syncs with my iPhone where I have all of the features I need. I just checked to se if I had a Secret Key on my phone, and it shows the same as it does on my Mac.

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member

Have you followed these instructions?

Otherwise you need to go to your 1Password.com account and download the Emergency Kit - you should have a copy of this printed out somewhere safe anyway.

• radioactivebug
    radioactivebug
    Community Member

Yup, I tried all those instructions. I can't do anything without the Secret Key. I can't even get the emergency kit.

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

That is truly bizarre @radioactivebug - I'm not sure how you can have a 1Password.com account (not your 1Password Community one) and NOT have the secret key?

To be clear (that we are both talking about the same thing - I'm sure we are but to be safe) you did the yellow highlighted steps below and there was no secret key visible?

And you did the yellow steps here, downloaded the PDF, and area highlighted orange was blank?

If so - most definitely you best bet is to email the 1Password Support, probably support+forum@1Password.com I think. Include your user name and a link to this thread and when you get the automated bot support code acknowledgement back post a comment with it here.

• radioactivebug
    radioactivebug
    Community Member

Hey @Mycenius , it may be because I have a standalone license. I can't login at all without a Secret Key. Not sure how I can upgrade with my same account. I've never received a Secret Key.

I really appreciate your help with this.

• Hi @radioactivebug

If you've been using a standalone license, and do not have a Secret Key, then you've been using 1Password without an account. You would create one in order to proceed. Full instructions can be found here:

Migrate your existing 1Password data from standalone vaults to a 1Password account

I hope that helps!

Ben

• radioactivebug
    radioactivebug
    Community Member

@Ben , thanks for this. I have to say, I'm proud that I figured this out on my own, however I am very grateful you confirmed I got it right. I now have a full account and easily migrated my standalone over!

• 🎉 So glad to hear it worked out. 😃 If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.