Support for Orion Browser

Comments

• awkweb
    awkweb
    Community Member

Would love to see this as well! I tried Arc and it's not as good as Orion IMO (besides the marketing).

• darsnack
    darsnack
    Community Member

I would like support for 1Password in Orion as well. It is completely unacceptable that Arc has support when it is invite only. Arc uses far more resources on my machine in comparison to Orion, and it lacks any kind of mobile support. It is objectively a smaller user base on an experimental project.

Your actions speak louder than your words which so far ring hollow.

• EdsonBittencourt
    EdsonBittencourt
    Community Member

I really don't understand why Arc has full support and Orion don't.

What is the criterion for supporting a browser and not another, considering that the unsupported one has a much larger number of users, as it is open in general?

• ordinarybeef
    ordinarybeef
    Community Member

Please add support for Orion. Right now it doesn't properly work so it's a lot of copy-pasting back from the 1Password app, which in itself is less secure than having autofill and the extension working

• RamGuy
    RamGuy
    Community Member

+1 on this one. I'm not going to be as vocal as many others there. I understand why the 1Password developers won't be spending resources on adding support for niche browsers. But Orion has been a blessing for me on macOS and iOS as I prefer WebKit browsers as they are more efficient on Apple systems,. Sadly Apple has made so many strange decisions regarding browser extensions annihilating a lot of developers that have dropped support for Safari completely. Orion gives the benefit of having something very close to Safari while being able to utilise the expansive world of Firefox and Chrome extensions.

Only thing not working for me currently is the 1Password extension. Using the desktop app for autofill etc is much slower compared to having the extension working directly within the browser.

• CharlieCortial
    CharlieCortial
    Community Member

Hi @RamGuy, do you realize that we have been waiting many months for this very requested feature? 1Password support at least one browser that is way more niche, Arc Browser (not even open to the general public). The support for Arc Browser was added in a very short amount of time. I don't think it's a matter of resources, but we, as customers, don't seem have the right to ask for answers and accountability.

• SukinoVerse
    SukinoVerse
    Community Member

Please count my vote for Orion support +1 ☺️

• wallerstein28
    wallerstein28
    Community Member

Please add support to Orion. It's an amazing browser that will not stay niche for long. Makes me reconsider my family subscription to 1Password.

• philippgerard
    philippgerard
    Community Member

Please support Orion.

• sannidhyz
    sannidhyz
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

I'd love to use it in Orion as well, so I support this +1!

Any updates on this? I'm using the Firefox extension version of 1Password (Orion supports both Chrome & Firefox extensions) and right now, it seems the autofill works and the settings page also loads. However, it still can't connect to the desktop app.

• zkanda
    zkanda
    Community Member

Voting for Orion support as well.

• roguesith
    roguesith
    Community Member

Does anyone know if Bitwarden is better with Orion support?

• sankara
    sankara
    Community Member

+1 for Orion as well

• dcow
    dcow
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

+1 for Orion. You'd think after 10 pages in this thread and inordinate amounts of capital raised that 1Password could pull their head out of the sand and figure out how to support a novel browser.

• vprelovac
    vprelovac
    Community Member

Vlad here from Orion team. We have removed 1Password from our "Popular extensions" page with today's release, and we will be focusing on supporting other password managers in the future, until 1Password officialy supports Orion.

• ainom
    ainom
    Community Member

I've been using 1password since 2011. PLEASE add Orion support! It';s currently the best browser available, and 1password sticks out as the ONLY extension that is not willing to add support for it. All other Chromium extensions work. Stop the shenanigans, guys.

• netopolit
    netopolit
    Community Member

Please add this integration.

• Numline1
    Numline1
    Community Member

This has been an issue since October 2021, nothing useful has been posted by the 1Password team, just a bunch of nonspecific replies. I'm done with this app, switching to Bitwarden as soon as my subscription is over.

• Sankcool
    Sankcool
    Community Member

I guess the 1P team has given up even pretending to care with occasional replies in this thread. Orion’s team (Vlad et al) have repeatedly extended offers to provide whatever is needed, and 1P is just oddly stubborn on refusing to flip on the native messaging switch which would instantly turn 1P into a first-class extension on Orion.

I’m spending an ungodly amount of money on 1P every year across my business and family, so this new pattern of indifference over the last 2-3 years for issues the community cares about is super disappointing. Like many others, I’ll likely also be switching my team/family away upon our subscription expiring.

• Sankcool
    Sankcool
    Community Member

@oarain LastPass, Dashlane, Bitwarden are all fantastic options to consider, have heard especially good things about Bitwarden which seems to fully support Orion with a small manual/temporary fix. iCloud Keychain has also gotten a lot better over the years and fully supports Orion. I’m testing each over the next few weeks as I consider switching my team/family over.

• erikmh
    erikmh
    Community Member

This is, I’m afraid, the last straw. I’ve stuck with 1Password even as it gets harder and harder to use (and to support — I’m the “IT guy” for a good dozen clients who are more and more confounded by 1Password with each passing release). I even stuck with you when you went Electron, though the gods know how much worse the interface is now.

But as this thread shows, AgileBits no longer cares about their security-conscious Mac users.

Regretfully, unless there’s a sudden and dramatic shift on AgileBits’s part by the time my renewal is due in May, I’ll be leaving. And I’ll be recommending a different solution to my clients and family.

It’s a shame, too. This used to be such a good company and such a good product.

• freeAgent
    freeAgent
    Community Member

Wow, this is a pretty depressing thread. Lack of 1Password support in Orion has been keeping me from using it more heavily (Firefox is my primary, but I occasionally need something else, and Orion's vertical tabs and speed are great). I'd always assumed it was an issue with Orion's extension support and never researched the issue. However, now that this thread was linked from the latest release notes I'm seeing that the issue is actually that 1Password is actively blocking connections from the browser extension when users have installed it on "untrusted" browsers, and that for some reason they have refused to trust Orion up to this point.

This is a bad look, AgileBits. I'm not exploring alternative password managers for the first time in years. Please let us use 1Password on our browser of choice.

• theokoenig
    theokoenig
    Community Member

Looking forward to this intergration as well.

• CharlieCortial
    CharlieCortial
    Community Member

Hey @jvacek, I think the community is a relic from a past when Agile Bites was indeed listening and caring about its customers’ wishes.

• rh535
    rh535
    Community Member

+1 for Orion

• gcarrion
    gcarrion
    Community Member

Stop using 1Password or stop using Orion. Don't make me choose guys, you have high chances, and not just with me.

• caphector
    caphector
    Community Member

Man, it's really disappointing when I go to use a browser that should be able to run the extension, but can't. If 1Password can support Arc then there's no reason they shouldn't be able to support Orion.