Stop requring masterpass after every restart.

strif4
strif4
Community Member

I find it a bit cumbersome and annoying that I have to use my master pass every time I restart my home computer and restart the browser (if I'm not using the desktop app).

Given I have to do this multiple times a day a home, why is there no trusted device feature where we don't have to login for 30days or even unlimited duration like I'm used to in lastpass?

I use multiple different browers at home so I had to re-login countless times each day on each browser unless I installed the desktop app...But that's another app installed on my computer causing clutter and slowing down my startup time. Previously on LP I didn't need to install a seprate desktop app because each browers didn't need login for 30 days (i eventually made it never requiring login).

Another option would be a passwordless login option for trusted devices..Using faceid on the 1P IOS app to approve unlocks requests.

1Password Version: Family
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser:_ Chrome

Β«1

Comments

• Ekalb
    Ekalb
    Community Member

Hello,
    Entering the main password when restarting the PC is normal and related to security.
    If you had the application on your PC, the extension in your browser would remain active as long as your application is unlocked and therefore even if you close and then relaunch your browser.
    Why don't you want the app?

• strif4
    strif4
    Community Member

I have the app installed now. But still needs to login after every restart which seems unnecessary on a home computer to me.

• Ekalb
    Ekalb
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

Hello,
    The program is designed like this for security reasons.
    What you can adopt as settings in the application:
    1. DΓ©cochez Lock 1Password when computer locks.
    2. Lock after the system is idle for > Never.
    Your security will be minimal but the choice is yours.

• Hello @strif4,

Thanks for your messages and sorry for the delay in response over the holidays.

While adjusting the idle lock timer is certainly an option, (thanks @Ekalb) - there are other options to help ease unlocking 1Password 8 for Windows: Use Windows Hello to unlock 1Password on your Windows PC

While using the account password is still required after system restarts, there is an additional option to allow Windows Hello to persist through restarts if you have a hardware backed Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 2.0 in your device. Those details can be found here: Windows Hello - Manage your settings

Give this a try and let us know how this works for you. If you have any other questions, we'll be here to help!

• donatom3
    donatom3
    Community Member

Not having to type the password in means the pc is storing the password somewhere on the machine to decrypt the database. This means if the machine is compromised the decryption key for the database would be readily available. As ag_mike_d pointed out you want to use the 1Password desktop app connect it to Windows Hello backed by your computer's TPM. This way what is needed to unlock your database is stored on the TPM and not the operating system itself. Then you can simply unlock it with your Windows Hello biometrics or pin code.

• GolferWHH
    GolferWHH
    Community Member

I'm in a trial phase of 1Password, coming from a competitor (Maybe). I've not had a good start with 1PW and the requirement to re-enter my Master Password when I've shut down my Microsoft 11 desktop PC, which doesn't have a bio-metric device that allows me to use Windows Hello.

My context: We (my wife is a second user and not technically literate so I'm our Tech Support) have: 1 Desktop PC (Windows 11 no bio-metric nor Windows Hello), 1 Laptop with Windows Hello capability (2ndary windows device), 2 Pixel Phones (Android), 1 Samsung Tab S6 light (No bio-metric).

To date I've done most of my testing out 1Password on the Desktop PC. I've made life more challenging/frustrating as while I live in Canada I inadvertently established the trial account on the *.COM (US) site. Frustrating found that I can't logon tot he *.CA site.

I've further created frustration by not understanding the different capabilities of the 1Password App (country neutral it seems), the 1Password Web site (must logon to *.COM" site, and the browser extension (Firefox and Edge). As I'm working towards understanding how to use each of these 1LP apps(?) I'm most frustrated by having to logon every time I've shut down the PC so my wife can use it. Leaving it on 24/7 in my opinion creates it's own security exposures (you can't access a PC and it's data if your PC is off).

I'll be trying the Laptop next to see if life is acceptable with a Windows Hello capable PC. I've tried security settings as per Ekalb's suggestion, but also have selected "Unlock using Windows Hello" as I have a Windows Hello capable Laptop. I'll next deselect the Unlock using Windows Hello and see it this works.

A comment if I may. Given our Windows PC use is in our locked condo we have pretty good physical security. We only use two PC's, which I've found somewhere on my 1LastPass account so 1LP knows which PC's are accessing my/our accounts. I fail to see why 1Password makes logon process so frustratingly challenging. The PW manager I'm looking at leaving had the ability to stipulate "Trust the PC for xx days". Seemed to me a pretty balanced approach to security for a Password Manager.

My long winded comments.

I must say this just may be a deal breaker given our requirements and use case.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

@GolferWHH You don't need any biometric device on a Windows PC to use Windows Hello. You can always create a Hello PIN to login to Windows. A small password prompt pops up that asks the pin - independent from any biometric feature. Use a short pin of 4 to 6 digits and/or letters that's easy to enter, and the login to 1Password becomes quite simple. It only asks your account pasword the first time after a reboot (if you don't enable TPM support in 1Password) or every 2 weeks (if you do enable TPM support in 1Password, and 2 weeks to make you not forget your account password).

You don't want to use the website for managing your items but the desktop or mobile apps instead. Use the website only as fallback or if you need to manage your account such as billing.

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member

You don't need any biometric device on a Windows PC to use Windows Hello. You can always create a Hello PIN to login to Windows.

πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

• GolferWHH
    GolferWHH
    Community Member

Thanks Mycenius and Terius3. I've got Hello Pin to work on the Laptop but the desktop is dringing me around the bend. I believe it is a Windows 11/BIOS/?? and maybe the 1Password App. I'm off on a search of various help sites to see if I can figure out the source of the problem. I've attached to screen shots of the 1PW app security settings for the Laptop and the Desktop. Note: The Laptop is an LG Gram which came with Windows 11 per-installed, while the desktop is a custom build with a MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX motherboard, which I've confirmed TPM is enabled. The desktop was originally a Win 10, which I upgraded to Win 11 a month ago.

Laptop Security settings:

The Desktop Security settings from 1PW app are:

I a stumped as to why the 1PW app for the desktop PC (verified it is the same Version) doesn't allow me to select "Use the TPM with Windows Helllo". Also don't know if this is a lead to why I can't get Win Hello PIN to work on Desktop and be recognized by 1PW.

Anyway, I tend to reason better when I talk, or in this case write about the situation I'm trying to figure out.

Again thanks for the assistance, More problem solving for me.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

This Google search will bring up a huge number of answers to the greyed out TPM setting: https://www.google.com/search?q=1password+tpm+greyed+out

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

Also @GolferWHH did you try unticking the "Show Windows prompt automatically" (in 1PW) on the PC (then do a full reboot) - just to see? It just means you have to click the smiley face every time to do the PIN; but it could be some weird issue with that between 1PW and the PC causing the issue...?

I can't help with Windows 11 I'm afraid, I'm still on Windows 10 Pro (as apparently my, admittedly older, AMD Radeon 5870 GPU isn't adequate for Windows 11) - but I would not be surprised if an upgrade from 10 to 11 (versus a clean install of 11) has caused some sort of issue...

• GolferWHH
    GolferWHH
    Community Member

Thanks Tertius3 for the suggestion.

Following the google search led me to a solution posted by RogueScholar at the following link: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/665840#Comment_665840. In working my way to this solution I found a comment in another thread on TPM that spoke to what may have been the root cause of my problem, I was on Windows 10 without TPM enabled in the BIOS before upgrading to WIN 11. Rogue Scholar's solution worked for me.

Again, many thanks to all. Now just to replicate this on my wife's account on the Desktop PC.

• digitalatlas
    digitalatlas
    Community Member

I share much of the same issues as GolferWHH, and even though TPM is enabled, can't get Windows Hello to show up. Very frustrating, and will not be able to sell my wife on entering the master password every reboot. I can barely get her to use Lastpass with the persistent login.

• Hello @GolferWHH and folks,

I'm sorry for the delayed reply but happy to hear you you found resolution through the help of the community. Please let us know how things go with your wife's PC, or if we can be of further assistance with troubleshooting any problems you run into there with Windows Hello.

With regard to your comment about signing up through 1Password.com versus 1Password.ca, you can change your region by following that guide. Should run into troubles, could you send an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with some details so our team can assist further?

@digitalatlas - I appreciate your message here and sorry you are still having some troubles. I've seen your related post and reached out internally for some further assistance regarding your specific case. Someone from the team or I will be in touch via that thread once we have some next steps. Thanks for your patience!

• GolferWHH
    GolferWHH
    Community Member

Hello @ag_mike_d

Thanks for the post.

I checked out the link to change your region. It's a non starter for me. I will ask tech support a second time to migrate the accounts to CA from US.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, it requires setting up 1Password ALL OVER again from the .CA site, First save all items for 2 accounts. Then delete the US accounts. Then create two accounts (mine and my wife's) on the .CA site, import the saved items. Not work I'm interested in doing during a trial period.

I will add I thought I'd change my 1Password logon password. A good learning exercise I thought. While the "security" architecture of 1PW is robust, it is bluntly a pain in the butt for a couple who use online banking and multiple "product" sites that require a sign-in with PW. I may be missing the main thrust of 1PW with the 3 elements (App, Web Site, and Browser extensions). Having got the PIN logon working I'm still faced with a User Interface that is sub optimal IMHO. An example follows:

If say I want to login to an online account. If I do this via a browser:
    1. Open browser,
    2. Logon to 1PW, OK with PIN working.
    3. A small window that shows 7 sites
    4. Search for site (type in key letters), or scroll down till I find the site.
    5. Select Open & Fill which takes me to the site and often requires additional steps as most sites have Account Sign In as an drop down option off the home page. Some are for security/marketing reasons I presume.

If I do this from 1PW app:
    1. Open/login to 1PW App.
    2. Much more usable interface with 17 sites showing on my Windows screen, and the left panel lets me reduce the items shown to make it more acceptable.
    3. I find the site I wish to open with 1one or two mouse clicks.
    4. I then hover mouse over the item's website field and select Open & Fill.
    5. Default browser opens, or if already open a new Tab in the browser opens, or if Web Browser not open it is opened and I land on the sites home page. Same as noted above.

I'm going to this extreme length for two reasons:
    1. To obtain advise / guidance if I'm not using 1PW in the most efficient way,
    2. To clarify for me if 1PW will work for my wife and me. Being this pedantic helps clarify my thinking.

The product I'd like to get off, regrettably is more end user friendly. Here's what have to do to get to one of the sites:
    1. Open browser,
    2. Select PW manager icon and logon, unless it is still active from last time I logged on. It can be for up to 30 days.
    3. Open Vault on my Edge Browser I have 49 of my favorite sites showing on full web page.
    4. Hover mouse over site and select the "Launch" button.
    5. Site opens in another tab in the browser.

What this is telling me is the most effective way to use 1PW is to open the Windows App first, and use this as the vehicle for opening sites. If the browser extension remained a persistent tab in the browser and has more of the features of the app for reducing sites displayed it would be a big improvement. This comment applies to the Windows environment where most of our households Password work occurs.

My next step will be to request 1PW support to move my account to the .CA site.

Thanks for putting up with me.

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

The product I'd like to get off, regrettably is more end user friendly. Here's what have to do to get to one of the sites:
    1. Open browser,
    2. Select PW manager icon and logon, unless it is still active from last time I logged on. It can be for up to 30 days.
    3. Open Vault on my Edge Browser I have 49 of my favorite sites showing on full web page.
    4. Hover mouse over site and select the "Launch" button.
    5. Site opens in another tab in the browser.

...If the browser extension remained a persistent tab in the browser and has more of the features of the app for reducing sites displayed it would be a big improvement.

@GolferWHH it's amazing how different every individuals perceptions are of what's good and bad. Obviously there is no right or wrong but I have to say I for example find the process you describe pretty clunky sounding versus how 1PW works for me - I for example would never use a product like that that required a whole web browser tab to operate or that persistently kept a tab open. Not saying you are wrong, just saying for me the process you like is definitely not what I'd like. Also I'm not sure how you are describing 1PW working is for you is quite right - it doesn't sound how it works for me.

That's not to say it can't do both...

But sometimes too, change is good πŸ˜€ πŸ˜‰

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

@GolferWHH

If say I want to login to an online account.

The intended workflow is different to what you describe for yourself. You're using 1Password as starter and library of browser bookmarks/favorites, but that's not the intended way. Do it differently:

Prerequisites:

• download and install the desktop app and let it start on Windows startup. Log in once and stay logged in during your Windows session
    • install the browser plugin and configure it to integrate with the 1Password app. This way it adopts the login of the desktop app.
    • for each of your websites you visit regularly, with or without login, create a bookmark/favorite within your browser (Chrome or whatever). If you want to visit some site, passworded or not, use its bookmark and not 1Password to open it.
    • in 1password, for each of your websites with a login, make sure you have a "login" item that has these 3 fields: a username, a password and the URL of the website.

How to login to some website:

• open the website with the browser bookmark. Not from within 1Password. If it is a website with a login, you're now presented with the login page.
    • in the username input field, you will notice a drop down entry with the 1Password item the 1password browser plugin found for that website. You don't search, 1Password just finds the entry. Usually, you click on that drop down entry, the browser plugin autofills username and password, and you click the login button. Then you're logged in.
    • this autosearch and autofill works for about 90% of all websites. It requires 3 clicks to login. 1st click: choose website from browser bookmark. 2nd click: click on the automatically appeared drop down entry with the matching 1Password entry to autofill. 3rd click: login button.

You don't need to search for an entry in 1Password to login. The browser plugin automatically searches and proposes item candidates valid for login. Usually, you just choose the one that was found or perhaps between 2 alternatives. Only if it doesn't find an entry, you need to search manually. But in this case, you need to just correct website URL in the 1password entry to match the website in the browser.

• digitalatlas
    digitalatlas
    Community Member

@ag_mike_d, thanks for your reply, and I have been trying to sort this out with Support. First, I want to say that I'm very impressed by you and the other Team Leaders on the forums, and with the email support for your responsiveness. To be fair, I haven't really contacted LastPass, but there probably could have been issues I would have raised if I had known better (no preconceived notions with first time user of a password manager).

I did, however, manage to solve this problem myself in a somewhat inelegant way. I'm running Windows 10 Pro, MBR partition, TPM 2.0 enabled, no Secure Boot. I couldn't get the Windows Hello prompt to persist through restart. I tried to convert my partition to GPT so that I could enable Secure Boot, but got an error and it broke windows even though the conversion apparently went through. I didn't bother fixing the issue, and just reinstalled windows. Switched to UEFI, turned on Secure Boot, and voila. Windows Hello login persists through restart. I think the Windows Hello method is more palatable than entering the master password every time. Especially for other members of the household, and school age kids. I'll get back to support and let them know my solution too, perhaps it will help others. Users on Windows 11 probably never run into his problem because it requires all the stuff I had to update.

I'm trying VERY hard to decide to go with 1P over Lastpass Families during this trial period. There's some adjustment, but I like 1P as a company more and I'm impressed by the support. I'm trying to find workarounds for the biggest deal breakers, but there are still some items (unfortunately) holding me back. Here are a few:

1. Non-persistent login. I think Windows Hello can address this reasonably enough, putting in a shorter PIN hopefully is acceptable to my family. But I have 3 other PCs all using MBR and no Secure Boot...reinstalling Windows if the GPT conversion doesn't work will be a pain...but I guess it'll prepare me for Windows 11 (whole other discussion, holding off on upgrading).

2. When autofill doesn't work for some reason, LP allowed you to right click, then manually copy username/password. I don't see a similar fallback feature in 1P, unless you include opening up the extension/app, searching for the password, then copying the password. It's not too onerous, but not as convenient as being right in the context menu. Seems to me like this can be added?

3. Bigger issue is that only one person in the family can be in the app at at a time on a shared computer. I guess the workaround I came up with was to log in the "primary" user of a shared computer. Then if someone else needs to access their vault, a separate browser profile can be setup with that person's secret key, to access the vault via the website. Not as convenient as how each Chrome profile can have a different person logged into the extension, so I can access the passwords from multiple users without logging off the windows profile.

This could be somewhat alleviated with a one-direction shared vault, but 1P doesn't seem allow that. This may seem trivial to some, but as the resident technical person in the family, I might need access to my wife and kids' accounts, but don't want them messing with mine, or even having view access. They might be a security risk :P LP has an option that allows a shared user to "use" the saved password but without access to view the password.

1. I am trying to get behind the tagging/vaults organization structure in 1P, compared to a more old-fashioned folder structure in LP. Tagging isn't bad, and you can almost simulate folders, but I think folders still make a lot of sense. This isn't the biggest deal I guess, will take some getting used to.

It's not a trivial move. I know some people can transition in 30 minutes, and use the import tool, but any software migration takes time to set up the way you like. Also, there will be some manual culling and resetting of passwords, all takes time. Never mind if my Windows setup isn't able to accommodate this right now.

The secret key is an interesting touch, though I think having different strong passwords for each site, 2FA and notifications from critical accounts (banks, CC, email), and maybe even double blinding some passwords, is probably sufficient even without the secret key. It does force one to be more judicious about whether to log into one's vault from too many computers. I guess that itself is protective, but I'm also worried about the possibility of getting caught without my phone and then I've lost access to my vault...

Anyway, congratulations if you read my whole post. Thanks

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

@digitalatlas Updating Windows from mbr to gpt without reinstalling is possible, however it's definitely out of scope for this forum. See this Microsoft article about the most painless workflow: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt
    There are numerous other ways to do this, however every single way has its own caveats you need to know about. These other ways might involve starting Windows from USB stick in repair mode and let it fix boot issues, since plainly converting mbr to gpt without doing other requirements (create efi partition,reinstall bootloader) will render Windows unable to boot for now.

• Hello @GolferWHH,

Thanks for your kind reply and feedback. We're always happy to help!

Unless I'm reading it wrong, it requires setting up 1Password ALL OVER again from the .CA site, First save all items for 2 accounts. Then delete the US accounts. Then create two accounts (mine and my wife's) on the .CA site, import the saved items. Not work I'm interested in doing during a trial period.

In a nutshell, this is the process involved with a region change. However, it's not possible for Customer Support to assist with a move of your data from one region to another. If you decide you'd like change regions in the future and run into any troubles along the way, I would suggest reaching out to our Memberships team with an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com, they'd be happy to help walk you through the process.

With regard to your further feedback about using 1Password, you're off to great start with having both the extension and the desktop apps installed. Following the advice from @Tertius3, I use 1Password in a similar manner whereas I follow a bookmark and while the extension (and 1Password app) is unlocked, click a credential field and select the pop-up menu to fill the item: Get started with 1Password in your browser

I use the app itself for things like more in-depth item creation/management: Get to know 1Password for Windows

Not all customers (or password managers) will be used in the same manner by everyone, but while you're still trialing 1Password, I'd urge you try some different workflows and to give what was previously mentioned a chance. Please let us know what you think!

• Hi @digitalatlas,

Thanks for your reply and kind words about 1Password Customer support!

I'm happy to hear things worked out with Windows Hello on this device, though it sounded like quite the ordeal! I'm sorry you went through that. We certainly appreciate you giving 1Password a chance. There is always an adjustment period to using a new password manager and I'm glad you're persevering. 😊

Non-persistent login. I think Windows Hello can address this reasonably enough, putting in a shorter PIN hopefully is acceptable to my family. But I have 3 other PCs all using MBR and no Secure Boot...reinstalling Windows if the GPT conversion doesn't work will be a pain...but I guess it'll prepare me for Windows 11 (whole other discussion, holding off on upgrading).

There's a fine line between security and convenience. In this case, Windows Hello is the best workaround when it comes to more easily unlocking 1Password after system restarts.

When autofill doesn't work for some reason, LP allowed you to right click, then manually copy username/password. I don't see a similar fallback feature in 1P, unless you include opening up the extension/app, searching for the password, then copying the password. It's not too onerous, but not as convenient as being right in the context menu. Seems to me like this can be added?

In situations where you're unable to fill a field such as in an Windows app, you click to copy, or drag and drop the username/password/OTP fields from the extension or app. In addition, from the app you can right-click one of those fields and use the Type in window feature to add that content to the focused field.

Bigger issue is that only one person in the family can be in the app at at a time on a shared computer.

As mentioned, this is not possible, but using a separate Windows profile when it comes to the app, and alternate profiles in the browser, are the best bet here.

I am trying to get behind the tagging/vaults organization structure in 1P, compared to a more old-fashioned folder structure in LP.

We appreciate the feedback about Tags. I can understand getting used to a new workflow, but as mentioned, this is similar to folders and I hope your able to get this to usable working state while trialing 1Password: Organize with favorites and tags

The secret key is an interesting touch, though I think having different strong passwords for each site, 2FA and notifications from critical accounts (banks, CC, email), and maybe even double blinding some passwords, is probably sufficient even without the secret key. It does force one to be more judicious about whether to log into one's vault from too many computers. I guess that itself is protective, but I'm also worried about the possibility of getting caught without my phone and then I've lost access to my vault...

The Secret Key, along with the account password, is an important of what keeps your data safely encrypted within 1Password. If you'd like to learn more, you can refer to this article, About your Secret Key. For a deeper dive, here's link to our 1Password Security Design White Paper.

If you lose your Secret Key or account password, we cannot restore it for you or help you recover your account. Please ensure you've saved a copy of your Emergency Kit and record your password on it, so that you always have access to your account.

Get to know your Emergency Kit

If you have any other questions or concerns, just let us know!

• digitalatlas
    digitalatlas
    Community Member

Omigosh, THIS is how hard I'm trying to migrate to 1Password...This may be obvious to you guys in IT fields, but I'm not. Found more data on getting Windows Hello to persist:

After getting persistent Windows Hello to work on my relatively new main personal desktop PC, I figured, I need this to work on the oldest machine I have, which is my kid's T440s Thinkpad, or I can't migrate the whole family and it's a deal breaker.

So I converted to GPT partition, enabled TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot, didn't even need to reinstall Windows this time. I check 1P, and the TPM option with Windows Hello is grayed out....I don't understand. Read the other articles floated around the forum and google, key among them this one: https://helgeklein.com/blog/checking-windows-hello-for-business-whfb-key-storage-tpm-hardware-or-software/. But Certutil reports nothing. Not hardware or software key.

I realize that the article is for Windows Hello for Business. Am I using that? I didn't choose. Finally after some trial, I believe I usually set up Windows profiles as local accounts and then connect to Microsoft accounts. I realized the difference was I needed to log in using a Microsoft account. This likely won't be an issue with W11 because I think it requires everyone to login with a Microsoft account in the future.

After login into an MS account, instead of my old local accounts, I run Certutil again and finally it reports info about my Windows Hello credentials. Logging in with MS account must allow me to use Windows Hello for Business. But 1P still won't let me know Windows Hello persistently. TPM Box is still grayed out! I'm about to give up and stick with Lastpass.

I try to reenroll Windows Hello in a few different ways, with Admin, without Admin, standing on my head, etc. Still doesn't work. I noticed that Certutil reports software key, no matter how many times I follow the article and reenroll.

I figure...for some reason, even when I recreate the Windows Hello PIN, it gets stored in software even though hardware TPM is available. On my working desktop, Certutil reports using the hardware TPM, and 1P recognizes this. Maybe there's a way to force hardware TPM?

After some searching, I find that in the Group Policy Editor\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Hello for Business has a setting called "Use a hardware security device." Bingo, change from "not configured" to "enabled."

I delete the Windows Hello container one more time. Restart. Login and create a new PIN. FINALLY! 1P recognizes the TPM and the box can be checked. I restart a few times and confirm the Windows Hello login persisted.

TL;DR, I found that I needed to login with MS account, and force hardware TPM for Windows Hello for Business in order to get 1P to recognize TPM (in this case).

I still have a couple other PCs...will need them to work too if I'm able to fully commit. A little wrinkle, I initially needed to create a 6 digit pin, but you can change this in a group policy too. Also, in reading the forums, I realized I signed up for the US region when I'm supposed to be in Canada! I hope when the trial is almost done, I can export my vault structure and create an account in the Canada region...as long as I address any other remaining deal-breakers. At least this whole exercise has probably made my computers more secure overall. I'm gonna need a vacation from my current vacation...

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member

I'm about to give up and stick with Lastpass.

You don't want to do that @digitalatlas πŸ˜ƒ

(Just my personal opinion but) LP have failed their customers terribly at **multiple levels ** and the worst bit is most of it is stuff they have known about for many years (some since 2015-2018 others longer). They also responded very poorly to the breach at the time. I don't think most LP customers realise how badly LP have served them and how disingenuous (IMO) a lot of the information released has been (and also how at risk they might be due to their lost vaults and personal info, and the hackers likely having had that data for 4+ months now)... Personally if I was a LP customer I'd be long gone off their platform by now regardless of any minor UX (user experience) 'inconveniences' I might think there are with the alternative I choose. So don't give up, you are doing the right thing in my opinion; I for one would be doing whatever I needed to do to migrate ASAP - even if it meant a work around in the interim and not having the ideal workflow (login process or whatever) that I've been used to previously... πŸ™‚

• DJRiful
    DJRiful
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

I'm not sure what is going on with 1Password, I had it set to Never. Sometime, some random update for 1Password reset it to 30 days required password again.

This happened like 3 times so far, it kept changing my setting.

?!?

• GolferWHH
    GolferWHH
    Community Member

After spending an unacceptable amount of time trying to get 1PW to work, and with some fabulous support from the 1PW community on this forum I just can't continue. The last straw was a repeat of the 1PW software (App/Extension/Website which I'll call the Holy Trinity) not matching instructions on the 1PW. The latest was moving from the US to the CA site. It has been painful trying to get 1PW working in our home environment, and I'm sad that I just can't justify continuing.

1PW is clearly a good product technically and is attractive to those individuals for whom this is held in high regard. It is also a solid product in the Password Manager space. I say that after an extensive search and review of articles on Password Manager products.

During my trial/evaluation of 1PW some comments on this discussion reminds me of the wars between IBM Mainframe zealots (I was one at that time) HP and then Microsoft PC supporters way back when I worked in System SW in an IBM environment. Ultimately the decision for all is made based on a number of criteria, some objective and most being subject. What is essential to one is irrelevant to another. One truism I came to after 35+ years in IT is the customer is always right, and that applies even when one makes decisions while unwittingly ignoring issues with their choice.

A PW manager is a tool that allows me to keep track of the many internet sites that require accounts and passwords. Some, such as banking sites require a more robust security posture, for me this means robust passwords and 2FA. It is also essential to follow solid security practices: frequently changing site PWs, changing PW Manager master PW, using 2FA logon's to the PW Manager, monitoring site exposures and the list goes on. It may also be prudent to use a VPN. A PW manager that doesn't support and encourage that while retaining a level of ease of use is not serving the market.

I gave 1PW a solid assessment because of the Hacks of Lastpass. I'm disappointed that for me there were just too many product issues, Hopefully to forestall a holly war on this I'm not talking about the 1PW SW. An example is my error in creating my initial 1PW account on the .COM site and finding out many hours of work later that to be billed in $CA I needed to create an account on the .CA site and then migrate items from the .COM account to the .CA site and then delete the .COM account. An easily made error that resulted in a days of effort that led me to finally give up. All I wanted was to get billed in $CA and the Product required way more work than was acceptable to me.

In closing, I'd like to complement the 1PW Community for the timely and helpful support during my trial of the product. This community and the 1PW users contributing to it are one of the best elements of the 1PW Product.

One encouraging element is the progress on the broader Internet Security world, and the work I see in both PW products I've now got some hands on experience with.

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member

An example is my error in creating my initial 1PW account on the .COM site and finding out many hours of work later that to be billed in $CA I needed to create an account on the .CA site and then migrate items from the .COM account to the .CA site and then delete the .COM account. An easily made error that resulted in a days of effort that led me to finally give up. All I wanted was to get billed in $CA and the Product required way more work than was acceptable to me.

Yeah that's pretty fair comment @GolferWHH - it shouldn't be so hard for something as simply as being billed in your preferred currency. I can picture some reasons why 1PW have set up their business and sites as they have (possibly around having registered offices in US, CA, EU, etc, and related tax laws) - but it should definitely be easy to change... And not such a big thing that it makes you consider ditching the product altogether... πŸ˜₯

• GolferWHH
    GolferWHH
    Community Member

I guess I'm like the speaker of the house (US) I just don't quite. Please take me out and shoot me:(

While ruminating over my challenges after my last post I figured I had divined the way out of my problem with 1PW.

So far I've been able to create a family account on 1Password.CA. Named it so I could easily recognize the account (W&B - CA)
    I exported my wife's sites to a .PUX and .CSV files. Belt and suspenders.
    I deleted the family account from the .COM account.
    I am able to Login online "1Password.ca" and all works well to here. I was so exited I nearly fell off my chair. Only a couple of steps to nirvana success.
    I download the 1Password App (Windows). When I go to logon to the App, I've presented with Family Name of "Our Family", which only shows as I hover the mouse over the Icon above the password field. I enter the same password that logs me on and VOILA I get a message "That doesn't work, Check you password and try again".
    Frustrated but undeterred I figure, maybe there is something hanging around in Windows that the 1PW app is using. So I try multiple attempts of a Windows Restart, searching OS drive for "1Password*" files and deleting those that look like system folders under the \user folder. After in excess of 5 attempts at this, and various other attempts to get the app (Other phrases come to mind) to recognize the account on .CA that I can logon to via the browser.

If anyone can assist I"d be forever in your debt. Non monetary payment.

I'll send this on to support and see what they have to say.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

@GolferWHH Is it mandatory that you change from .com to .ca? I live in Europe, but I am on .com and not .eu. My credit card is billed in Dollar by my credit card company. If I look at prices and VAT and exchange rates, the price is roughly the same. I'm in the same situation as you (didn't realize that there is a different, more appropriate region available), but I found it too tedious to change the family account after initial establishing. The .com account works, it is advertised in German language, it is possible to have a EU billing address, so it seems fine. I guess it's the same with CA. Just let it go and continue to use .com.

• GolferWHH
    GolferWHH
    Community Member

I've managed to get my account set up as a .ca account on our desktop, laptop and cell. My wife's is set up on the laptop, but I'm having a challenge getting her account set up the desktop. I believe I did not select the check box "multiple accounts (?)" when I created my family administrator account on the desktop.

I'm so far into this I'm unable to restart with a US account.

I see the glass half full as I am gaining better understanding (??) of 1Password.

I don't remember information popups for installation & configuration options. I guess it's a hangover from my career in IT and the many usability issues that get foisted on end users. I guess this is last para shows too much about my character.πŸ˜‚

• Hi folks - Sorry for the late reply and troubles that have been encountered along the way.

@DJRiful - Regarding the troubles with 1Password retaining the setting to Require password Never, could you to create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC and attach it to an email message addressed to support+windows@1password.com please include details of the trouble you've been experiencing and we'd be happy to help look into this further.

@GolferWHH - I'm glad to hear that you've got a 1Password.ca account setup on those devices and that you're gaining a better understanding of 1Password. We'll be here to help you at every step along the way!

but I'm having a challenge getting her account set up the desktop.

Are you trying to add your wife's account to the 1Password app under the same user Windows user profile? If this is the case, the app does not allow for multiple users from the same family account. You'd need to sign out of your account to add your wife's account. I'd recommend setting up a separate Windows profile and installing 1Password 8 for Windows there so she can sign in with her credentials from her new .ca account's Emergency Kit.

As an alternative, if you are using the same Windows profile, using an alternate browser profile with 1Password in the browser installed and app integration disabled, will allow your wife to access her data in the browser from her account in a standalone manner.

I hope these details help!

This discussion has been closed.