Where does 1Password store an Internet copy of my vault?

Options
jimthepcguy
jimthepcguy
Community Member

Hi,
I am a new 1Password user (a transplant from LastPass). I am curious but haven't found a definitive answer on the Interweb. Out of curiosity where does 1Password store a copy of my vault? There must be a copy somewhere but where is it? AWS? Google Cloudfiles? What things are disabled if my Internet connection goes down? I assume things like adding a new PC but are there other things that plain out won't be available without an Internet connection?
Thanks, you have a great product.
J

1Password Version: Latest
Extension Version: Latest
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Chrome, Firefox, Edge

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jimthepcguy

Thanks for the kind words. 🙂 The 1Password service is hosted by Amazon AWS, and is available in a few different regions. A basic overview is available here:
    https://support.1password.com/regions/

The in-depth technical details can be found here:
    https://blog.1password.com/terraforming-1password/

As to the question of which functions are unavailable offline... it may be easier to speak to which functions are available offline. While offline, you can:

• Unlock the 1Password desktop or mobile application on already set up devices
    • View your data as it was when you (or we) went offline
    • Make additions/edits to your data that will sync when you (/we) are online again

A non-exhaustive list of what is unavailable would be:

• The start.1passsword.com web app — you'd need one of our desktop or mobile apps to access your data offline
    • Billing changes
    • Adding/removing family/team members
    • Creating new vaults
    • Setting up new devices
    • Syncing changes between devices
    • Putting a family/team member though recovery, if they've lost their account password/Secret Key

We recently introduced a connectivity indicator into our desktop applications which can help identify and troubleshoot times of limited or no connectivity to the 1Password service.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• jimthepcguy
    jimthepcguy
    Community Member
    Options

It does help and I thank you for taking the time to reply to my query.
    J

• @jimthepcguy

I'm happy that Ben was able to help. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.