Apple Watch focus mode

This discussion was created from comments split from: Watch not prompting for authorization.

Comments

• shazron
    shazron
    Community Member

I have my Apple Watch to unlock my macOS desktop 1Password, and it works great, especially with the SSH agent when I am developing and pushing some code.

However, working late at night, I have the Sleep focus mode turned on (automatically), which obviously will suppress all notifications, including 1Password. However, I do allow some apps to have notification exceptions in the Sleep focus mode, like other auth apps like Okta Verify, or my banking app.

So I thought that I can add the 1Password app as an exception on my iPhone, however it is not listed as one of the apps. How do I add the 1Password app as a focus mode exception? I think it's not listed as an app because it does not have any notifications, not sure.

The workaround for me is to turn off the Sleep focus mode when I am working but that often is dangerous if I don't turn it back on before I go to sleep (usually groggy), since that is tied to my alarm in the morning, so sometimes I miss my morning alarm because of it.

• Hello @shazron! 👋

As far as I'm aware, 1Password 8 doesn't use notifications on macOS. Can you tell me a little more about what it is that you're trying to do? Are you running into an issue when unlocking 1Password 8 for Mac using your Apple Watch?

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

-Dave

• shazron
    shazron
    Community Member

No, I outlined the scenario exactly above.

My Apple Watch is in a Sleep focus mode. I can't get any notifications on my Apple Watch when in this mode (to unlock 1Password, especially to unlock it for SSH key requests), naturally, because it stops all notifications, except if you allow apps to bypass it, which I allow with my banking app and Okta Verify (it's a focus mode setting via the iPhone). I want to allow 1Password as an exception, but it is not available in the list it provides.

1. Allow 1Password to unlock using your Apple Watch
    2. Set up SSH agent on 1Password (make sure it works well)
    3. Put your Apple Watch in Sleep Focus mode
    4. Try to do a git pull or something which will trigger a request to unlock on your Apple Watch
    5. It won't show the notification of course, and "goes away" quickly on the Watch, because it is in Sleep Focus Mode (as expected)
    6. Workaround is to allow the app to bypass the focus mode setting, but the app is not available to be selected (it is not in the list of apps)
  • Dave_1P
    edited January 2023

@shazron

Thank you for the clarification. I can indeed confirm that I'm not only able to reproduce the same behaviour on my own Apple Watch, but that we're already tracking the issue internally to see if there's something that we can improve here or if this is a macOS/watchOS issue. I've added your notes to our internal tracking item for the issue so that our developers are aware.

Hopefully this can get fixed in the future. I'm sorry for the frustration that the issue is causing, thank you for reporting it.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#19161

• 1pwusername
    1pwusername
    Community Member

I have the exact same problem as shazron. It makes 1password much less usable at work, where I have a focus mode that turns on, but need to still log in to apps by approving on my apple watch.

• @1pwusername

Thank you for the feedback, I've added you to the internal work item open for the issue.

-Dave

• brisktent
    brisktent
    Community Member

hi there! I've noticed exactly the same problem and it's quite annoying as it disturbs my late night coding sessions;) Do you think it will be resolved soon or should we rather look for workarounds like disabling the Focus mode entirely, or something like that?

• @brisktent

Our developers have looked into the issue and it looks like this requires some changes to be made by Apple to how interactions are transmitted between devices. Hopefully improvements are made in future updates to watchOS and macOS.

For the time being, you'll need to use either Touch ID or your account password to unlock 1Password while using the sleep focus. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

-Dave