1Password 8 x Clean up duplicate item

julieee
julieee
Community Member

I have an unfortunate abundance of duplicate passwords and logins. Is there a way to mass cleanup duplicates in 1Password8?

Thx, j

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 12.6
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @julieee,

Sorry to hear you're seeing duplicate items. We do have an open feature request to add ways to help address these, but ideally we're helping you avoid them to begin with. If you're open to sharing more about their origins and your use case, I'm happy to record your feedback for the rest of the team.

In the meantime, I can recommend a couple strategies to help sort them manually:

Within 1Password 8, you can sort items by title, as well as when they were created or last modified:

Watchtower will also have a list with different websites but the same password:

Depending on your situation, you may also find the helpful to use vaults, collections, or tags to help organize which items have been reviewed and which still need to be:

Let me know if you give any of these a try or have any questions. 🙂

• kjdiehl
    kjdiehl
    Community Member

Along with the sorting ability, (which is, as you point out, crucial for finding duplicates,) it would be lovely if you could add multiple levels of sorting available, and ESPECIALLY the ability to FILTER a search. Right now, if I search for Chase Bank, it shows ALL my family's Chase Bank entries, rather than just from a given Vault. Ideally I'd love to be able filter a search by Vault, and probably useful to filter by category and tag as well. Further, if I search across multiple vaults, (or even just across all items, as it currently is,) have search results display prominently which vaults they're in. Otherwise, I have to click on each individually to see if it's in the correct Vault.

Thanks!

• Hi @kjdiehl,

Thanks for your feedback, I can certainly see how folks would benefit from more robust searching and filtering options. I can make a couple recommendations to help sort your existing data:

• Use separate vaults for your own items and those that belong to family members. I personally have a Private vault, a vault shared with my spouse, and then a separate vault for each family member for whom I manage login items.

• Use a collection to group and search vault(s) separately from each other. In my case, I have a collection with my Private vault and my shared vault with my spouse, and then a separate collection for all the vaults that contain other family members' items. This means I spend most of my time in the first collection since all of my frequently used items are there, and when I need to look for something on behalf of a relative, I can swap to the other collection and search without my own items cluttering the results.

• You can also make a collection with a single vault, which means you could search that vault exclusively and use categories and tags from there to further narrow down your results.

All that said though, I recognize there's always room for improvement and we do have a couple feature requests to bring more robust searching and filtering to 1Password 8 so I'll add your voice to those. I also really like the idea of being able to tell which vault an item belongs to without opening it, so I've logged that feedback as well.

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks again for all your valuable insight. 🙂

ref: IDEA-I-1480
    ref: IDEA-I-1061
    ref: PB-30078613

This discussion has been closed.