Business plan: single-item sharing, password conceal, guest permissions

Options
KathyS
KathyS
Community Member
edited January 2023 in Business and Teams

After the latest LastPass debacle, we're transitioning to 1Password. I've been reading the support forum and the help sections, but still have a few questions that I'd like help with:

1. Is there an option for single-item sharing (link share excluded)? And if not, what is the best practice to accomplish this?
    Some employees only need access to a certain item or two vs an entire vault of items. Potentially, we could have "Employee name" vaults and make copies of logins in there but not sure if this is good practice. Also - if the original item's password gets updated, I assume that if the item was copied, the password of that copied item would not change when the original item's password gets updated?

2. Where can I find more information about the detailed Permissions in password sharing? My main concern is to make sure that users don't see the actual password.

3. How are guests permissions different from the member permissions?

Comments

• Hi there @KathyS

I'll come to your points individually for clarity.

1. Is there an option for single-item sharing (link share excluded)? And if not, what is the best practice to accomplish this?

Items can either be shared one-off using a link (see Securely share 1Password items with anyone), or on an ongoing basis by providing access to a shared vault, which could contain as little as one item.

Potentially, we could have "Employee name" vaults and make copies of logins in there but not sure if this is good practice.

Yep! Sounds like a sensible idea to me for "static" items that aren't likely to change all that often, such as when a new employee is onboarded and IT need to give them credentials for access to systems, and so on.

Also - if the original item's password gets updated, I assume that if the item was copied, the password of that copied item would not change when the original item's password gets updated?

This depends a bit on the items being used and what they're for. By default, no, those items would need to be updated manually, but there are other options. We can offer you some advice on best practice for this, which might include things like Secrets Automation: 1Password Secrets Automation. If you can tell me a bit more about what you're aiming to do here, I can help suggest the best course of action.

1. Where can I find more information about the detailed Permissions in password sharing? My main concern is to make sure that users don't see the actual password.

Here. 😁 ☞ Create, share, and manage vaults in your team # Manage access

You can see all the available permissions that can be allowed or denied to a vault for each user or group.

1. How are guests permissions different from the member permissions?

"Guest accounts are ideal for sharing information with people on a limited basis. They don’t have their own private vaults and only have access to a single vault which you choose."

— from Share with guests in your team

Hopefully all of the above answers your questions, but if you'd like any more detail or I can be of any other help, do let me know. :)

— Grey

This discussion has been closed.