Delete duplicate logins

Options
MariaRho
MariaRho
Community Member
edited October 2022 in Windows

I went into one of my Amazon accounts and changed my password. 1Password prompted me to save the update and I did. When I went into 1Password the next day for something else I noticed that there were hundreds of duplicate entries of the Amazon login that I had updated the day before. How do I delete these duplicates? They truly are duplicates - all of them have the exact same information in them.

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: 2.3.8
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:Delete duplicate logins

Comments

• ag_mike_d
    edited October 2022
    Options

Hello @MariaRho,

Thanks for your question about deleting duplicate entries.

Removing duplicate items is best accomplished in the 1Password for Windows desktop app, but will need to be done in a manual fashion.

Depending on the number of duplicates you have, these can be recognized when searching by title of the duplicate items, then using (Ctrl + Enter) to show all matching items. These duplicate items can then be removed manually by selecting the item (or Ctrl + Click for multiple items) and the right clicking one of the selected items > Delete (or archive). See this guide for more details: Archive and delete items

We're investigating ways to simplify this process and add a feature/tool to help identify and clean-up duplicate items. Please let me know if you're interested and I would be happy to pass a +1 along to the product team.

ref: IDEA-I-615

• MariaRho
    MariaRho
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much for getting back to me! (I was traveling and couldn't respond right away) I did what you said and it worked. There were over 500 duplicates. A mindnumbing exercise to get rid of them manually. I am curious to know how it happens that all of these dups get created to begin with. Thank you again!

• ag_mike_d
    edited October 2022
    Options

Happy to help and glad this worked, @MariaRho!

I am curious to know how it happens that all of these dups get created to begin with.

The majority of the time, duplicate data can be caused when importing from standalone vaults, though this is normally one (or multiple) duplicate sets of data rather than just many duplicates of the same item.

I'm unsure what may have caused this in your case. You mentioned you changed the password on one accounts then the next day noticed all the duplicates. Could you let us know when you first noticed this? If it was within the past 14 days, we can review a diagnostics report to see if the logs help to explain things.

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thank you!

• Kataklizmic
    Kataklizmic
    Community Member
    Options

I also greatly desire the option to delete duplicates on the Windows OS.

• Thanks for your feedback, @Kataklizmic! I've added a vote on your behalf to the issue we're tracking. ๐Ÿ‘

ref: IDEA-I-615

• ScottC69
    ScottC69
    Community Member
    Options

I would also like to chime in. Long time 1Password user and advocate. Duplicates happen with some frequency when you do not pay attention what vault new entries added to (newest version of 8 allows the change of default vaults for new items thank goodness). However can I make a suggestion since "We're investigating ways to simplify this process and add a feature/tool to help identify and clean-up duplicate items. Please let me know if you're interested and I would be happy to pass a +1 along to the product team." Taking a page from another password manager....they used the command line, quite nicely, to do this with some parameters:

find-duplicate --title
    find-duplicate --login --password
    find-duplicate --login --password --url
    find-duplicate --full

• Hi @ScottC69! Thanks so much for taking the time to write in with your suggestion. I've passed these details along to our Product team to help with their investigation ๐Ÿ˜„

• dkg
    dkg
    Community Member
    Options

As noted by the user that first posted this topic, for some strange reason, many (but not all) of my passwords have been duplicated when I updated to v8. For an additional strange reason, rather than post the solution, 1P Support chose to close the thread - - so here it is again:

1) MULTIPLE log-ins have self-duplicated. Some show identical "modified" dates and some show different dates.

2) If there is a "FIND DUPLICATES" function in the program, including "Watchtower", I have been unable to locate it.

3) Using the iOS app, attempts to manually eliminate duplicates is inconsistent and frustrating. Some items can be left-swiped to reveal a "remove' panel but some cannot - why the difference. Even after an item is removed it may still show in list and cannot be swiped away, but the 3-dot menu offers "COMPLETELY DELETE". Why the inconsistency and why the two-step process to eliminate the unwanted entry ?

Thank you for any help with this issue.

1Password Version: 8.10.3
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: MAC Ventura OS 13.2
    Browser:_ many

• dkg
    dkg
    Community Member
    Options

I am also trying to deal with many Duplicate Items that have suddenly appeared in version 8 of 1Password. I have tried the above suggestions for locating a menu item to FIND Duplicates in all menus including Troubleshooting and the non-existent "Tools" with no luck. What am I missing?

1P v8.10.3 / MacOS 13.2

• dkg
    dkg
    Community Member
    Options

A view on this forum regarding "Duplicates" reveals quite a number of entires going back through multiple versions. Solutions that worked in v6 and v7 no longer appear to apply to v8. Unfortunately, the Support responses do not appear to be at all comprehensive and instead focus on very individual fixes, including command-line solutions. Isn't it time for AgileBits to step up, find the cause of the odd duplication issues, and issue a real fix ?

• ponyboy3
    ponyboy3
    Community Member
    Options

I am looking for this as well, might downgrade to 7

• Hello @dkg and @ponyboy3,

Thanks for your messages and sorry for the delay in response.

The last version that contained a "clean up duplicated items" function was 1Password 7 for Mac. This tool's ability was limited as it checks on a per vault basis for exact duplicates. The process for cleaning up duplicate items in 1Password 8 currently remains a manual process.

Depending on the number of duplicates you have, these can be recognized when searching by title of the duplicate items, then using (Ctrl + Enter) to show all matching items. These duplicate items can then be removed manually by selecting the item (or Ctrl + Click for multiple items) and then right clicking one of the selected items > Delete (or archive). See this guide for more details: Archive and delete items

The Product team continues to look in to ways simplify the duplicate detection process or add a tool to help identify/clean-up duplicate items. I've passed your feedback along to the team.

If you have any other concerns or suggestions, please let us know!

ref: 32406817
    ref: 32407564

@dkg - You also mentioned:

Using the iOS app, attempts to manually eliminate duplicates is inconsistent and frustrating. Some items can be left-swiped to reveal a "remove' panel but some cannot - why the difference. Even after an item is removed it may still show in list and cannot be swiped away, but the 3-dot menu offers "COMPLETELY DELETE". Why the inconsistency and why the two-step process to eliminate the unwanted entry ?

In 1Password for iOS, you can swipe left on entries from the item list to Archive or Delete. After deleting an item it should remain deleted but is moved to the recently deleted folder where you can access these items and restore them for up to 30 days from within the apps.

The menu on items offers the same delete functionality. However, after viewing an item in the recently deleted folder, the menu offers the ability to destroy the item permanently - a separate process from deleting the item. Is this the second step you were referring to you were referring to?

Archive and delete items

• ponyboy3
    ponyboy3
    Community Member
    Options

IMO dedup effort needs to be a thing.... and not lazy like by 1 field, but from a human perspective.
    It would also help to have vaults be excluded from all item results. this is the functionality that the archive vault broke. it should be excluded by default.

• dkg
    dkg
    Community Member
    Options

So, Mike, - can you give Users a clue why this "Find Duplicates" Version 7 feature, limited as it was, failed to be included in Version 8. I became a 1Password Member specifically to help foster improvements to the application, but instead we are witnessing useful feature elimination. Certainly seems hard to understand.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @ponyboy3, thanks for the additional insight ๐Ÿ˜„ our team will be able to see this when reviewing your feedback.

Hi @dkg, thanks for your question! The duplicate clean-up tool in 1Password 7 was only available on Mac, and was very conservative in what it considered to be a duplicate. This meant that in a lot of cases it wasn't particularly helpful. With the introduction of 1Password 8, we wanted to move away from developing separate apps with different feature sets, and instead use a common core, where any implemented features would work across all platforms. As my colleague Mike mentioned, our product team are investigating ways to prevent the creation of duplicates in the first place and simplify the de-duplication process, as well as looking into the potential for implementing a more robust duplicate identification and/or clean-up method across platforms.

If you have any other questions or suggestions, let us know!

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @molitar, thanks for weighing in here. I would be happy to pass your feedback along to our product team as well - just let me know.

Are you running into any issues with duplicate items that we can assist with?

• 1P_Gem
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hi @molitar, thanks for getting back to me! It sounds as if you've been running into a known issue with 1Password 8 at the moment, where it's not possible to delete more than 49 items from the Recently Deleted section at once.

This issue has been fixed in our latest Nightly release. If you'd like to give this a try, you can update in the app by navigating to โ‹ฎ > Settings > Advanced and changing the release channel to Nightly. Then head to About, check for updates, and restart the app to apply the update. After this, open your Recently Deleted item list, click an item, hit Ctrl + A to select everything, and then right click > Destroy Permanently.

Once you're done, you can change the release channel back to Production. This won't be an immediate switch, but as soon as a new Production release is available, the app will update to it and you'll no longer be on the Nightly channel.

Alternately, you can wait for this fix to make its way to the production version of the app. I'm not able to provide a timeline for when this might be, however you can keep an eye on our release notes for updates: 1Password Releases

ref: dev/core/core#17690

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @molitar, thanks for the update! Let us know if you run into any trouble along the way, or have any questions ๐Ÿ˜„

• kinneyrob888
    kinneyrob888
    Community Member
    Options

this issue is a huge pain.

• @kinneyrob888

I'm sorry that you're seeing duplicates in 1Password. I'd like to better understand that situation so that I help you remove the duplicates:

1. Do you see the duplicates when you log in to your 1Password account on 1Password.com (in the browser, not the app)?
    2. Before the duplicates appeared, did you recently migrate to 1Password 8 and import your items from an old standalone local vault or from another password manager?
    3. Are all of the duplicates in the same vault or are you viewing multiple vaults at the same time?

-Dave

• naalipalo
    naalipalo
    Community Member
    Options

The last post Ive seen regarding adding this duplicate finder option to the Windows version was 2021. Has there been any progress now that we are nearly 3 more years down the road to finally get some of the features from Mac to work in Windows?

I have used 1password.com and have installed the 1password on my laptop (dell) and nether option has any feature where I can search for, identify, remove, filter etc. duplicated passwords.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser: Not Provided

• ag_mike_d
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hello @naalipalo / folks,

I've merged your message into this thread as it discusses duplicates. The team has been working hard to implement a tool to help locate and delete duplicates.

We've recently a new 1Password beta that includes the ability to see a list of your duplicate items through Watchtower > Items with duplicates:

If you'd like to give this beta a try, you can follow the guide below to:

Let us know what you think or if you have any feedback to share with the team. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.