To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Do i need to turn off iCloud when moving passwords from LastPass to 1Password

Options
Luisinko
Luisinko
Community Member

Your instructions on migrating from LastPass warn: "Before you export your data from LastPass, temporarily turn off any backup software you may be using, so the unencrypted export file isn’t backed up".
However, when I go to turn off iCloud drive to prevent unencrypted file to be backed up to iCloud i get the following message:
"If you turn off iCloud Drive, all documents stored in iCloud will be removed from this Mac".
Do I really need to turn iCloud off?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: mac OS Ventura 13.1
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @Luisinko! 👋

The advice to turn off backup software is given so that your unencrypted CSV file (which contains all of your passwords in plain text) isn't included in a backup where it will sit unencrypted and unprotected by 1Password's encryption and security.

I believe that iCloud Drive only backs up a limited set of folders on your Mac (usually the Documents and Desktop folders in addition to the folders located in iCloud Drive itself) so if you make sure that the CSV file is never saved in one of the folders that is being backed up to iCloud Drive then you should be okay to keep iCloud Drive turned on.

I hope that helps. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.