Legacy Planning: How to deal with Microsoft Authenticator 2FA for 1P

Options
TravelSD
TravelSD
Community Member

I'm trying to plan for my legacy estate and for any contingency. Regarding 1P, I already have the emergency kit printed and in a safe that my estate executor can access. But I have Microsoft Authenticator as my 2FA for my 1Password account. Assuming all of the devices that I own with 1P/authenticator on it are not accessible to my estate, I'm puzzled how my estate can recover Microsoft Authenticator to get the 2FA needed to install 1P on fresh device. I read through the Microsoft Authenticator docs, and I can't find a way out of the 'chicken and egg' problem.

What's the best solution here?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member
    Options

Update: I switched to Authy for my 1Password 2FA. Trying to recover MS Authenticator on a new device without access to my iCloud account (for recovery) seems impossible. Authy has a better new-device recovery process.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

I recommend you print the QR code you got for adding mfa to 1Password and add it to your emergency kit. This way you have it independent from any actual authenticator app. You can scan these QR codes again on new devices, they are valid for as many devices as you like until you create a new QR code. In case you don't have it any more, you can remove mfa from 1Password and add it again to create a new, or if you added the code to your 1Password account entry within 1Password, you can edit the entry and access the mfa secret in the OTP entry. This OTP field contains the generated OTP number if you just view the entry but access the secret if you edit the entry, then it contains "otpauth://something....", which you can copy and print. There are also websites who can recreate the QR codes from this code, or you can enter the text manually.

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member
    Options

@Tertius3 Ah yes such an obvious solution. Ya I'll have to get a new QR code for 1P and then print it. Thanks!

• @TravelSD

I'm happy that @Tertius3 was able to give a good suggestion. Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.