Autofill... domain matching choices?!? O. M. G.

2»

Comments

• andmade
    andmade
    Community Member

For the new autofill choices, I noticed the exclusions only take effect on the dropdown box (so the other ones you told not to show up still show up in the extension popup). Is it possible to have it also take effect on the extension popup? That's what I normally use for filling via a keyboard shortcut rather than the dropdown (which has the autoshow option turned off).

• @andmade if you're referring to the 1Password popup that you can access via the browser toolbar, you're right, that seems to be an oversight on our part. I've tracked this bug and we'll see about getting it fixed in the upcoming betas.

Let me know if I can help with anything else :)
    Gabriele

• petro
    petro
    Community Member

+1 for this. I just tried the new settings, and saw it couldn't differentiate between:

company1.my.salesforce.com
    company2.my.salesforce.com

A setting that allows it to be filled out for the exact FQDN would be helpful.

• petro
    petro
    Community Member

+1 for this. I just tried the new settings, and saw it couldn't differentiate between:

A setting that allows it to be filled out for the exact FQDN would be helpful.

• petro
    petro
    Community Member

I just tried the new settings, and saw it couldn't differentiate between:

A setting that allows it to be filled out for the exact FQDN would be helpful. Or am I missing something?

• @petro the use-case you're referring to should be supported. Have you enabled improved autofill suggestions? You need to right-click on the 1Password icon in the toolbar, click Settings, then scroll to Autofill and enable that option. Plus, if you want improved suggestions in Quick Access too, you have to go to the desktop app's settings, navigate to Advanced and set "Experimental Autofill Suggestions" to Enabled.

The only other thing to check is that your items are configured correctly. You have two options. Using the Autofill behavior menu, you can set the two items to "Fill anywhere on this website" and they will still show up on both subdomains, but they should be prioritized based on which subdomain matches best. If you set them to "Only fill on this exact domain", you'll see them show up only on the appropriate domain.

Curious if you're still running into this after doing that. It might also be that you're running into one of the bugs we've already ironed out but not released to the beta yet.

Cheers,
    Gabriele

• petro
    petro
    Community Member

Ugh sorry for the duplicate posts. Browser content blocker was acting up...

@ag_Gabriele a few more specifics to help narrow this down:
    MacOS Ventura 13.0.1
    Safari Version 16.1

Extension:
    Extension: 1p for Safari 2.4.1
    Autofill: both settings on

Mac App:
    1password: 1Password for Mac 8.9.12 (80912004)
    Experimental Autofill Suggestions: Enabled

Vault Config:
    Both items are set to "Only fill on this exact domain"

So I think I've got everything right, but both suggestions show up on each other's domains!

• petro
    petro
    Community Member

Oh and as a side comment, I was skeptical of 1p v8 months ago, and the direction 1p was taking with "enterprise" features. Now I absolutely <3 it, and can't live without the improvements... Well done across the board!

• Thanks for trying out the new autofill behaviour setting, @petro ! The Safari extension doesn't have a beta channel, and its latest update is still in review, so it is still a bit behind in terms of supporting the new beta matching capabilities. Safari will catch up soon, and we will make sure the setting is respected everywhere it should be before we release to stable. Really appreciate your feedback and bug reports!

• petro
    petro
    Community Member

Thanks @Mitch now I know it's "working as currently designed" and i'll eagerly await this to make it to the Safari extension one day!

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

I'm on the beta channel and got the latest production release 1Password for Windows 8.9.12 (80912010) yesterday. Now the new beta settings for autofill behavior are gone. There is no possibility anymore to change the autofill behavior.

I already changed the behavior for some of my entries. Are these settings lost now? Or will they be available again as soon as there is a new beta build available? 🤔

• wagnerone
    wagnerone
    Community Member

@wagnerone interesting, thanks for explaining. I wonder if the “archive” feature found in 1Password 8 would help your use case. Archived items remain perfectly intact for an indefinite time, but they never get suggested in the browser. Anyone in the team can access them at any point via the app.

Secondarily (although I know you mentioned you prefer not to edit existing items), 1Password 8 has a password history feature that lets you keep track of all the password a specific item’s ever had. You can see them by using the drop-down next to the password field. I imagine the workflow your team has is already fairly set, but I wanted to mention this possibility.

I’m curious if any of these approaches would work for you.

@ag_Gabriele Thank you for reply!

The Archive feature could be useful, yes. I never really understood what it might be used for. Right now it seems like, in our case, a "pre-Trash" area. We could reconsider (or, consider) how we're using that vs the trash.

I know all about the password history. ;) It's a thorn in my side and IMO a security gap to not let us "clear" that password history on an item. My issue with it is I often have the need to duplicate complex records with various unique data items in them, but I cannot do so because of the password history being forever retained in the record.

Anyway, it's not just the password we want to track for historical reasons, but all the notes, additional Section and field items we add throughout that records actual lifetime.

• vidario
    vidario
    Community Member

Hi! I really love this feature! Thank you!
    I was wondering if there's a way to manage this case:
    bank 1: www.bankxyz.com/apps/pib2/03191brand0/public/login
    bank 2: www.bankxyx.com/apps/pib2/03417brand0/public/login
    Any chance to differentiate the two logins?
    Thanks again

• @vidario I'm seeing two differences in the URLs you specified. One of them has host www.bankxyz.com and the other www.bankxyx.com. Unless that's a typo, 1Password should be able to tell these apart right away. If that's actually just a typo, and the only difference is in the path, then the "Improved Autofill Suggestions" found in settings will still be able to handle the differences in the URL's paths. Specifically, if your login item has a specific path and the page you're visiting matches that path, then the relevant item will show up first in the list.

Let me know if that makes sense and whether you have more questions :)

Gabriele

• vidario
    vidario
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

Thank you for your reply.
    Sorry, it was a typo. The two urls are identical except for the numeric part. As you wrote, 1password shows the correct login as the first choice, but it still shows both. I was wondering if you can only see one login for each url

• That won't be possible for the time being, but it's something we might consider in the future :)

Cheers,
    Gabriele

• vidario
    vidario
    Community Member

Sorry, one more doubt: I don't know if it is related to this new feature, but I don't understand in what order the logins are proposed when there is more than one.
    For a certain address I have 6 logins:
    Account 1 (mail1@mail.com)
    Account 2 (mail2@mail.com)
    Account 3 (mail3@mail.com)
    and so on
    1Password however puts them in an order I don't understand (account 3 - 4 - 2 - 5 - 1 - 6). What is the sorting criteria for the logins? Thank you!

• Our latest implementation uses a scoring system to determine how close of a match each item's URL is to the URL of the page you're visiting. Beyond that, items with the same score are sorted by their internal ID. That's probably why you're seeing them show up in a not so logical order in your list.

Are the accounts you're looking at all originating from the same website? What makes their ordering important to you?

• Hey folks, we've just posted an update about the future of these improvements so you're aware of what to expect in the coming months. Always happy to hear your feedback and answer any questions you might have :)

Gabriele

• esodesod
    esodesod
    Community Member

Hi! (just a quick suggestion) As much as I'd like the "scoring system" to always default to the correct suggested logon automagically, I guess it will always be some exceptions and/or overrides needed - at least in my (possible) "corner cases". No reason to "reinvent the wheel" here; Bitwarden has some simple, but (really) powerful options, where the end user can choose between e.g. "Starts with" (URL) and "Regular expression" (regex), which I think will cover many, if not most cases (at least for me).

If possible, also prefer having an option(s) to select what fits best in each of my cases (which will be different from other users, hence having an option is preferred), like choosing "Starts with" or "regex", based on my needs, in each case, not having the back-end trying to automagically "be smarter", by selecting something else.

(from Bitwarden, default options for each URI per entry):

• Default match detection
    • Base domain
    • Host
    • Starts with
    • Regular expression
    • Exact
    • Never

Screenshot

Regarding the ordering, LastPass (in lack of other features) had a solution, where basically it followed the name of the item, ascending. "Account A" (match) will be displayed before "Account B" (match), etc. A bit simple, but it might work (in some cases). Also really easy for the end user to override, by just renaming items accordingly, to fit their cases best.

Looking forward to testing/evaluating further improvements on URI matching, and great work (so far)!

• @DenalB could you try switching to the Nightly channel, updating, and letting me know?

You won't be able to get back to Beta directly after updating to Nightly, however if you set the channel back to "Beta" directly after updating you'll automatically get updated to the next Beta when it's available.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hey @ag_Gabriele !

Actually, I'm on the latest beta - 1Password for Windows 8.10.0 (81000009). What should I test in nightly build?

• @DenalB I was referring to the issue you were experiencing where the Autofill Behavior menu is not showing up. I am currently unable to reproduce this issue because I'm on a production version that's newer than the latest beta, but switching to the nightly on my end does cause the menu to show. Wondering if that would work for you too.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Ah, okay. I already got this Autofill Behavior menu back with the latest beta build. It was gone in latest production release, that I got some days ago. Everything's fine now. Thanks!! 👍❤️

• Good to hear! Let me know if I can help further.

This discussion has been closed.