Why should I turn on "safe for travel" mode?

Options
JohnLM
JohnLM
Community Member

I see how to turn on "safe for travel" and what it does, but I don't see anything describing why I might use this feature. I saw a help forum post by an employee of 1PW that explained that they used "safe for travel" to remove sensitive customer data from devices. But they didn't explain why it was necessary to remove data from their device when entering a foreign country -- short of being Jason Bourne and a secret agent who might be jailed and interrogated (then I'd have bigger problems), if this data is encrypted why would I ever have to remove it from my device? None of this makes sense from a **regular **user standpoint. This seems like a very powerful feature with a simple on/off switch and I can't figure out when I might ever use it. Can anyone shed some light on this feature?

1Password Version: 8.9.10
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: all
Browser:_ all
Referrer: forum-search:When should I turn on "safe for travel" mode?

Comments

• Hello @JohnLM! ๐Ÿ‘‹

Good question! When travelling it's possible that a police officer or customs agent may ask you to unlock your phone or laptop so that they can inspect it. By enabling Travel Mode on a particular vault you prevent that vault from being part of that inspection. For example, I wouldn't want my bank account password to be visible to a random customs agent at the airport and so I might turn on Travel Mode for the vault that contains that bank account password before I travel.

You can read more about why you might want to use Travel Mode here: Travel Safely by Using 1Password's Travel Mode on Your Devices

I hope that helps! ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• JohnLM
    JohnLM
    Community Member
    Options

This helps, Dave. The article helped explain what I was asking. The piece I didn't fully understand was that I would turn on safe to travel before I leave and then turn it off once I arrived at my destination. Thanks for the explanation.

• @JohnLM

I'm happy to help. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.