iPadOS 16.1 Watchtower crash [Fixed. Please see the approved answer for details.]

Comments

• hazlebury
    hazlebury
    Community Member

I have the same problem. I feel I am paying £££ for a £ application. Looking forward to a credit.

• Hi @nsbadger and @hazlebury 👋🏻

This is a known bug with the current version of 1Password for iPadOS and will be fixed in the next update. Apologies for any interruption to your workflows. I'd recommend avoiding the Watchtower tab on iPad for now and making sure that you have automatic updates turned on, so you receive the fix as soon as it's released.

• hazlebury
    hazlebury
    Community Member

POOR. It's one thing to have bugs but another to make me go through a whole registration process (forced to agree ridiculous privacy terms) on your support website to find this out. An hour wasted when you could have easily sent me an advisory. You seem to have no problem sending me billing requests so you are perfectly capable of sending stuff to users. It's clear to me that you are embarrassedby such a big bug. Furiously annoying.

• CMRater
    CMRater
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

As you can see, the entire community is with you and awaiting a fix they claim to have actually solved, just not implemented.

• Dave_1P
    edited January 2023

@hazlebury

I'm truly sorry for the impact that the issue has had. As Kester mentioned, our developers are working on a fix which we plan to include in a future update as soon as testing is complete. For now, please avoid using Watchtower in the iOS app in order to workaround the issue. You can still use Watchtower on one of your other devices or on 1Password.com

An hour wasted when you could have easily sent me an advisory.

The reason why we haven't sent out an advisory is because the issue is affecting some users but not the majority. We also have users that run into other issues that might seem similar and we didn't want to cause confusion by causing those users to think that they're running into a known issue when the problem on their device is unrelated.

Sending an email to support@1Password.com is the best way to get assistance as soon as possible. That being said, I agree that we can improve how we communicate bugs and issues and I've passed along your feedback to our team.

-Dave

• hvbeek
    hvbeek
    Community Member

The app still crashes on the iPad, how long does it take for 1Password to fix this?
    I was looking for an alternative for Lastpass but with this quality of apps i do not think 1Password is going to be the one….

• olandere
    olandere
    Community Member

Seeing the same issue with iPadOS 16.2 and 1Password.

• mijogsp38
    mijogsp38
    Community Member

IPad air 4. Gen.
    IPadOS 16.2
    1Password 8.9.7

It is the same on my IPad.
    Using watchtower is crashing the app.
    Seems to be a common bug, according the number of posts here.

• damcify
    damcify
    Community Member

As a workaround you seem to be able to launch it in the Split View as another user mentioned. Open safari first, and then drag 1Password on top of the safari view. 1Password seems to launch successfully now, with a narrow view of the watchtower, so you can navigate back out of watchtower, and after that go full screen again. Took 2 tries in my case, but now it works… just don’t go back to the watchtower.

• hvbeek
    hvbeek
    Community Member

If you cannot fix this in 3 months whats the speed of fixing security bugs in your software?
    It clear that 1Password does not care about their customers.

• damcify
    damcify
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

-deleted-

• Terylon
    Terylon
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

. Bug is not repaired until today. What is the Status @Dave_1P ?

@damcify Thank you. It works and the app ask me to send an error report.

Did you noticed that Watchtower is switched off in the settings?

• damcify
    damcify
    Community Member

Great it work for you @Terylon ! I was not asked to send an error report, so maybe there are variations of the error or different bug collection behaviors (“a b testing” and things like that).
    Watchtower is not disabled in my settings i.e. of the three options below security under the watchtower heading, 2 of 3 are enabled. “Check for vulnerable passwords” is disabled (again) as I originally thought that this triggered the bug.
    This is on my iPad Pro 10.5 with iOS 16.2 just to be clear.

• ings
    ings
    Community Member

I too experience this iPadOS crash and have been patiently waiting for a fix. The crash is especially annoying because for some reason it makes it difficult to relaunch 1Password. Fortunately I run 1Password on multiple platforms so I can easily avoid the issue.

I've been a 1Password customer for almost 10 years now, and the inability to release a timely fix for a flagship feature crashing is, to my recollection, almost unprecedented. There must be something out of the ordinary going on here. So it sure would be nice if Support provided more information about the delay than "Development is working on it".

Dave Ings

• Whenever I try to look at weak passwords in Watchtower the app crashes, then crashes instantly when I try to log in again. The only was I can fix this is deleting the app and installing it again.

Currently on iPadOS 16.3 beta.

1Password Version: 8
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: iPadOS 16.3 beta
    Browser:_ Not Provided

• Pifou69
    Pifou69
    Community Member

Waiting for months for iPadOS crash fix, Face Id bug fix and now 1Password 8 is unavailable on the French stores (iOS and mac)
    What's the problem ?

• wolli
    wolli
    Community Member

Same Problem on iOS 16.2

• wolli
    wolli
    Community Member

The app doesn’t start after checking watchtower. I already deleted the app and reinstall it - same problem. What should I do to fix the problem?

OS Version: 16.2
    Browser:_ Chrome and safari

• granny
    granny
    Community Member

I have the same problem.

• Hi @wolli @granny

I'm sorry to hear that 1Password is crashing on your iPads when you access Watchtower. Our developers are investigating and we aim to include a fix in a future update to 1Password. At the moment, we don't have an estimate of when this will be, but would recommend you keep 1Password up to date:

Apologies again for the inconvenience and we hope to have this resolved as soon as possible. You should also find that restarting your iPad and avoiding the Watchtower tab should help in the meantime.

• damcify
    damcify
    Community Member

Been around for a while now, if you check other posts regarding iPad and Watchtower crashes.

As a workaround you seem to be able to launch it in the Split View as another user mentioned. Open safari first, and then drag 1Password on top of the safari view. 1Password seems to launch successfully now, with a narrow view of the watchtower, so you can navigate back out of watchtower, and after that go full screen again. Took 2 tries in my case, but now it works… just don’t go back to the watchtower.

• JochenHartmann
    JochenHartmann
    Community Member

Same here. The app is crashing constantly on iPad Air and Pro. No issue with iPhone. All devices running with IOS 16.2 and App version 8.9.7. Removed and reinstalled the app, no improvement. It’s even worse on The iPad Air.

• mklieman
    mklieman
    Community Member

Same issue as everyone else here (on iPadPro running 16.1). While it can be a pain in the neck to release patches, you guys should push your product and dev teams to get this fix out the door to users... an unrecoverable crash is an unacceptable experience.

• CMRater
    CMRater
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

Good news is they are well aware of the problem first registered October 2022.

Bad news is they don’t seem capable of implementing a fix :(

• rmautz360
    rmautz360
    Community Member

I just loaded the iOS app. My Lastpass database was imported using my Windows 10 system. I opened my iOS app and see my various data. I tried doing some login tests which worked okay at first. I minimized my app, then short time later opened the app, used TouchID to try to login and the app crashed. I tried it by manually typing my user name and password and it still crashes. The app appears to just be minimized, but it i tape on it, it asks for my TouchID and crashes back to minimized. I cannot get into the app. I clear the app from memory, and re-opened it from the app icon on my home screen but the same thing continues to happen. Can’t use a password manager that is so secure not even I can use it.

OS Version: iOS 16.2
    Browser:_ Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:iOS app crashing when trying to login

• rmautz360
    rmautz360
    Community Member

I didn’t provide exact ios app version, but it’s the one I just downloaded from the App Store. I have Safari and Edge on my iPad but am trying to use the native app, not the web browsers.

• rmautz360
    rmautz360
    Community Member

Okay.. I deleted the app then reinstalled it. It seems to be working for now. In the review written in the Apple App Store, i saw reference to this sort of issue and seems to be common (or at least not uncommon). Not a very good start for me in trying to get off of LastPass!

• rmautz360
    rmautz360
    Community Member

Okay, more bad news. I thought it was working but just began crashing again. My iPad is my primary device so 1Password is putting me in an untenable situation. I’m trying to get off LastPass and had high hopes for 1PW, but those hopes are evaporating. Time to look at Bitwarden or one of the other password managers?

This discussion has been closed.