New to 1Password from LastPass

Options
Paradym3
Paradym3
Community Member

I am new to 1Password after 9 years of LastPass use. The recent breach has served as the impetus for me to make the switch. As part of getting to know 1Password I have a few questions about the local equivalent of some LastPass features when using Families.

1. With Lastpass I had the option to share a password with someone and not have them able to edit the password. Yes technically they could change the password in some cases. But I do not want someone to be able to change the 1Password stored password inadvertently or delete it. There was also an option to not have the password visible to them. Using the shared link or moving to a shared vault does not seem to do the same. How can I share a password with a family member and restrict their ability to see the password or edit it within the vault? A read only share of sorts.
  2. With the LastPass Firefox extension at time of web login creation/capture there exists an option to set the password complexity options. This is EXTREMELY useful as some sites have length requirements and quirks. Does there exist a way to change password length, complexity ie use special characters or "make readable" etc from the 1Password password creation tool? I have tried a few password resets and do not yet see an option to change these parameters on the fly. I can see see these options from within the web vault when creating a new login so I must be missing something here.

Otherwise the move to 1Password as been incredibly smooth. Kudos to the team for making the import tool work perfectly. I have found absolutely zero data transfer issues so far with notes, stored payment methods and logins all transferring over.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

@Paradym3 While being in the 1Password password generator, you can choose the type. One of these is random password, and with that you can refine the generated characters. However, some websites publish their password policy in machine readable format and 1Password uses this automatically to generate a proper password according to this policy. May be you tested the password generator with such a site and may be 1Password doesn't offer the user to choose other password types for those sites, because they would probably not conform to the policy.

• Paradym3
    Paradym3
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

Thank you @Tertius3 Found the options to override the smart settings and indeed the max password length was picked up correct at twenty characters in my test.

• @Paradym3

Welcome to 1Password! I'm happy that @Tertius3 (thanks for the help!) answered your second question, I'll respond to the first question:

With Lastpass I had the option to share a password with someone and not have them able to edit the password. Yes technically they could change the password in some cases. But I do not want someone to be able to change the 1Password stored password inadvertently or delete it.

There are two ways that you can share a password with another person without them having the ability to edit that password:

1. You can create a shared vault for other members of your family and then just give them the View permission rather than both the View and Edit permissions:
    1. You can use a secure share link to share a read-only copy of the item: Securely share 1Password items with anyone

There was also an option to not have the password visible to them. Using the shared link or moving to a shared vault does not seem to do the same.

The ability to prevent a user from revealing a password that has been shared to them is available only with 1Password Business. If you're using an individual account or 1Password Families then, at the time of writing, this feature is not available for those accounts.

However you should be aware that this feature is merely a deterrent but not a guarantee that the recipient won't be able to ever view the password. Our permissions only apply to the 1Password apps and not to other apps like the browser. If they use 1Password in the browser to fill the password into a website then they could use a tool like Chrome's Developer Tools to view the filled password on the webpage.

I believe that the same limitations will apply to other password manager's implementation of this "hide password" feature as well.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.