but how many passwords do I have

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:how many passwords do i have

Comments

• Hi there @keitht1958

You can find the total number of items in 1Password by clicking the Sort button at the top of All Items, like this:

The number of items in any list is also shown at the bottom.

I hope that answers your question fully, but please do let me know if I can be of any further help. :)

— Grey

• keitht1958
    keitht1958
    Community Member

cheers new it had to be there just needed some guidance
    thanks for the help ****

• @keitht1958 – Glad I could help! We'll be here if you need anything. :)

• ctry
    ctry
    Community Member

1P7 had an option to show counts on the sidebar categories so you could quickly see at a glance how many logins, credit cards, identities, etc. you had. Would love to see this come to 8!

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

Instead of using the well known standard implementation (count next to item in sidebar) 1PW8 uses one that almost no one founds...

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

The issue was mentioned in the past (the v7 client used to conveniently display item counts in the sidebar), but 1Password support said this was by design and they don't want to clutter the window with seldom used information. However, I cannot be talked out of wanting the numbers in plain sight and consider the hidden and unintuitive display of the numbers a flaw and a removed required functionality I want back.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

The "cluttering problem" could easily be solved by a show/hide flag/option for item counts. A standard solution used by pretty much every application I now.
    The questions here and in other similar threads show that people are unable to find the hidden item counts without help from support or other users.

• Greetings @Tertius3 @viswiz. I'd be happy to learn more about your use case here.

The sidebar already contains a good many elements - the user accounts, vaults, tags, archive + delete, categories (if you enable it)... I'm curious as to what benefit the item count provides to you in that location. If you can let us know why this should be moved from the sort menu, I'll file a request on your behalf. Thank you as always!

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

Difficult to say. I will not justify why I want the numbers display. It just happens that while browsing or managing items in the desktop app, my view goes to the sidebar and misses the numbers present in the previous app. In this moment, I need the numbers to make sure I am in the correct collection or view with the expected number of items. If the numbers are not what I expect, some item went missing or I did move it wrongly, or whatever happened and I need to correct that. It's usually only one look for verification purposes, but now I have to actively look for the location to click to, than scroll down or locate the sort button and click it to get the number (which is not very intuitive).

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

The/My main purpose of item counts is to easily get an overview of how many items are belonging to (sub)structures. Hiding the count doesn't give an overview at all. Having to scroll thousands of elements within a list to get to the end just to see the count is an awfull UI design. Putting the count into a sort order button is breaking the context of this button as sorting has nothing in common with counts.

How to I use the count or why do I need it? I'm a software engineer and part of my work is creating test accounts, notes and other login related information. Often I'm too busy to sort this information directly during creation into the separate vaults or to tag them. Sometimes vaults or tags are created, split or deleted later on. The directly visible item counts help a lot to get an overview of all items at the same time. This is even more true as all the other programs I use for information management just go the usual way of item counts next to the respective element.
    In addition a simple show/hide option in the view menu could be used to avoid clutter.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

@spinoza what's really wierd about the item count in 1PW8 is that it was available for one or two nightly builds, was removed and reappeared in its current unusable form.

• Thank you all for the feedback. I've passed along all of your comments and use cases to the product team. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-31437508
    ref: PB- 31437541
    ref: PB- 31437555

This discussion has been closed.