Two factor authentication problem

Darcorn
Darcorn
Community Member

Hey guys!

I'm having a weird problem when trying to activate 2FA on Twitch. The QR code doesn't appear. There's only a blank square with a refresh button in the center and a generic 'an error has occurred. Please try again' error. Does 1P allow adding 2FA via entering a QR code manually? I've contacted Twitch support but all they did was disable 2FA on my account. What's funny is the fact that now I can't even activate 2FA via phone. The codes come in fine but the system says they're always incorrect. I am seriously considering closing the account altogether to be honest.

1Password Version: Latest
Extension Version: Latest
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• Hi @Darcorn,

Thanks for your message. It sounds like you are referring to the QR code provided by Twitch in your account settings.

After looking at Twitch's page for setting up 2fa, it does not appear as though they offer a string of characters that can usually be used as an alternative to a QR code for an authenticator apps: Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

Have you tried adding 2fa to your Twitch Login item through another browser or a different device with 1Password for iOS or Android?

Looking forward to your reply.

• Darcorn
    Darcorn
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply @ag_mike_d Yes, I've tried using both Chrome and Edge in addition to Firefox. The error was the same in every browser. I've been in touch with Twitch support and sent them a screenshot of the error. They said they'll send it to further investigate my issue. My gut says it's on their end because the error message says 'there was an error confirming your code'

As for trying a different device I didn't try adding Twitch's 2FA via phone (iOS)

• Hello again @Darcorn,

Thanks for letting us know these additional details. We'd be interested in knowing the results if you can now see the QR code and if attempting to scan and setup the one-time password through your iOS device.

Could you also let us know if you're seeing any issues with 2fa for other accounts using 1Password, or is Twitch the only one that has been troublesome? Thanks!

• Darcorn
    Darcorn
    Community Member

Must be a post Christmas miracle but I just received an e-mail from Twitch support with steps to take and whatnot and thought about trying again. I logged in, enabled 2FA, the phone code came in and was accepted and then boom! QR code was shown with no problems. Don't know what happened or how but all is well now and 2FA is safe inside 1Pass!

And to answer your question, yes Twitch was the only site that was problematic with 2FA. I was able to disable the previous token just fine but when I was trying to enable it using 1P it presented the aforementioned issue. That was also the last 2FA token that I needed to reactivate after the LP exodus. Thank you very much for your help with my issue! :)

• Darcorn
    Darcorn
    Community Member

Come to think of it, there was one instance where 1Password wouldn't scan the QR code. It was on Backblaze's site. In the end I had to use Microsoft Authenticator to scan the code

• Thanks for the reply @Darcorn - happy to hear about the Christmas miracle and all is working with the Twitch 2fa!

While I'm not too familiar with the Backblaze website, but I've had look at the support page and don't see any sign of the possibility of using the string of characters (instead of the QR code) as previously mentioned. If you're interested in giving this a try and this option is available after disabling and trying to reenable 2fa, please let us know if this works. Or, does setting up 2fa for this website in 1Password 8 for iOS help when trying to scan the QR code with your iPhone?

Thanks again!

• Darcorn
    Darcorn
    Community Member

I'm sorry for not clarifying this earlier but the Twitch 2FA problem was occurring on my PC, not my cellphone. The problem with Backblaze was that when I disabled the previous token and then tried to scan the QR code with 1Password, the Firefox extension could not scan it (no QR code found on website error).

• Darcorn
    Darcorn
    Community Member

Update: I've just received an e-mail from Twitch support. They've written that they've made some repairs overnight so that might have fixed my issue :)

• Hello again @Darcorn!

Thanks for the update - 🤞that helps with Twitch!

The problem with Backblaze was that when I disabled the previous token and then tried to scan the QR code with 1Password, the Firefox extension could not scan it (no QR code found on website error).

Do you see similar issues when using the 1Password 8 for Windows app itself after trying to edit the item > + Add more > One-time Password and clicking the Scan QR Code button as depicted below:

With regard to my earlier comments about trying this with 1Password for iOS, you can follow the same steps above while editing the item in the app on your iPhone. Tapping the Scan QR Code button will open the device's camera so you can try scanning the QR from Backblaze.com on your PC.

Please let us know if you see any improvements after trying these alternate methods. Thanks!

• Darcorn
    Darcorn
    Community Member

Just tried scanning the QR code with my phone and surprise surprise! Worked like a charm. I'm a little ashamed that I haven't thought of that before. Thank you so much @ag_mike_d :) I've noticed that Watchtower offers to scan the QR code for Instagram but when I try to display it the site says that it can only be done from inside the app. Not a problem though. Just wanted to report it.

• Great news, @Darcorn! I'm happy to hear that helped!

Regarding Instagram, it sounds like you are referring to the Watchtower banner notifying you that 2fa is available. The Scan QR Code button on the banner works similarly to the button while editing an item and adding an OTP. You would need to have the QR code visible on account's webpage for the 1Password app to recognize and scan the code.

I just stepped through the process on my personal device, removed and re-added 2fa. I received the same message. It's the Instagram account noting they will only allow the addition of this feature through their app. When setting up 2fa through the app, it offers a code that you can copy/paste into the 1Password item's added OTP field. When you save the item, the 6-digit appears so you can copy/paste to the Instagram app to verify. I hope this helps!

• Darcorn
    Darcorn
    Community Member

I failed. Did all the steps you've shown me, the codes are shown and change every 30 seconds but when I try to copy one of them the app tells me to write the code from Apple passwords since I am logging in through an unrecognized device and will be locked out of some settings for a few days. I'm stumped

• Hello @Darcorn,

Sorry for the delay. It sounds as though the troubles you are encountering are with the Instagram account itself, which we are unable to support. Once you are able to try again, I'd suggest following the steps in our guide, Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication.

If you have further troubles with 1Password 8 for iOS (or Windows) adding the one-time password option to your items, please reach out via email to our Memberships team for additional support with this feature: support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here to help us find your email. Thanks!

• Darcorn
    Darcorn
    Community Member

Thank you for your help as always @ag_mike_d ! As for Instagram, I've been mulling over closing the account there anyway because I don't even use it that often anymore. The problem with its 2FA was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak :) As one of many refugees from Lastpass I was a bit anxious to switch password managers but you guys showed me that it's not that hard after all. Now all I have to remember is my main password and keeping the secret key safe :)

• Good morning @Darcorn,

You're most welcome! If you change your mind and decide to pursue adding 2fa using 1Password as the authenticator, and have any further troubles from our end, just let the Memberships team know so they can help guide you through: support+forum@1password.com

There's always a learning curve when trying new things. I'm glad to hear that you've not had too many difficulties.

Now all I have to remember is my main password and keeping the secret key safe :)

I you haven't already secured that information, you can follow this guide, Get to know your Emergency Kit.

Have a great day!

This discussion has been closed.