Why does 1Password require "Read/write files on removable storage devices" in order to work?

floriern
floriern
Community Member

Dear 1Password Community Team,
first things first: great stable app (except for my little problem below) and thanks a bunch for supporting Linux!

TLDR;
1password does not start anymore after a while.
Resolved by granting permission "Read/write files on removable storage devices" in snap store.

Ubuntu: 22.04.1 LTS
Gnome: 42.5 (X11)
snap: 2.57.6

Problem:
After some time (~month?) 1Password does not start anymore.
No empty window, no error message, nothing.
Tried both via Application Menu and CLI (on cli it just returns without error message)
The first two times this happened I just reinstalled 1Password.
This time I looked at the logs and found that for both Startup (1pw is in startup applications) and manual launch AppArmor is logging a "denied" warning for "rmdir" on an external drive for the profile "snap.1password.1password".
Google suggested this could be due to custom userdir settings, but removing the affected drive did not change the described behavior at all.
I have then changed the permission "Read/write files on removable storage devices" from false to true in the in the snap store for 1Password and 1Password started up normal again.

There was an Ubuntu system update yesterday. Not sure if correlation or causation.

I have (at least not knowingly) added any object to my tresure that would somehow related to this drive.
My PC is setup for Dualboot with Ubuntu and Windows, the affected drive is not the installation drive for neither OS's.
1Password on my Windows instance does not have any such issue ever.

Willing to provide further details.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks,

Florian

1Password Version: 8.9.10
Extension Version: n.a.
OS Version: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:external devices

Comments

This discussion has been closed.