Purchased a new MacBook. Unable to migrate over 1Password 6.8.9 over as it asks for a "Secret Key".

My previous MacBook was older and would allow me to do OS updates. I've got a new one and trying to migrate 1Password over so I can update, but it asks for a "Secret Key", which I'm unable to locate. Please help me to identify this key as it is only showing a 'read only' version. I've been using 1Password from the very beginning. Thank you.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Purchased a new MacBook. Unable to migrate over 1Password 6.8.9 over as it asks for a "Secret Key".

Comments

• Hello @Scuba64! 👋

I'm sorry that you're having trouble using 1Password on your new Mac. Can you tell me a little more about how you were using 1Password on the old Mac? Did you purchase a standalone license for a specific version of 1Password, like 1Password 6? Or were you using a 1Password membership with a monthly/yearly subscription?

If it's the latter then please try the steps in this article to find your Secret Key: Find your Secret Key or Setup Code

And if you don't remember how you were using 1Password, or the steps in the article didn't work, then let me know and we can go from there. 🙂

-Dave

• Scuba64
    Scuba64
    Community Member

I am a grandfather user of Password 1 before the subscription services. So it's on. my iPhone then installed on my old MacBook Air (early 2014) and sync fine with those devices. I now have an new MacBook Pro (2021) and it needs a secret key to access the app

• @Scuba64

Thank you for the reply (and for using 1Password for such a long time!). You would only have a Secret Key if you have a 1Password membership. It sounds like you were using an older licensed version which doesn't have a Secret Key.

I recommend sending an email to support+forum@1Password.com so that our support team can look into this further and advise you on how best to proceed. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your message and make sure it's gotten to the right place. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.