Importing LastPass Families to 1P Families

rochrunner
rochrunner
Community Member

I haven't started with 1Password yet and want to have a bit more understanding of a couple things before taking the plunge. My wife and I are longtime LastPass users, have our own Windows PCs, and have our own LastPass logins with shared folders for our various joint accounts, shopping sites, etc. Reading the procedures for importing our LastPass data into 1Password, I can see that each of us will have to export from LP and import to 1P, but how would the shared accounts get into the Family Shared vault? Any help appreciated!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2023

@rochrunner

Each of you will get your own Private vault, and a Shared vault will be automatically available. You are able to move items that you wish to be shared into the Shared vault, whereby all family members have read/write access.

When you import into 1Password 8, a new vault is created automatically to contain the just-imported records. Move these records to the appropriate vault according to your needs. Both you and your wife will do this. Then you can delete the now-empty vault created just for the import.

• rochrunner
    rochrunner
    Community Member

@MrC , Thanks -- that actually clarifies it for me very well. I have a huge number of logins in LastPass (for example, I had to create a new one to use this forum!) and hope that importing makes things easier (plus a chance to clean up some of the obsolete and otherwise bogus records that I'm sure are in there).

• @rochrunner

I wanted to jump in to say that we have a guide on importing your items from LastPass here: Move your data from LastPass to 1Password

If you run into any issues then let us know and we'll be happy to help further. We also have a dedicated concierge team to help new users get started who can be reached at support@1Password.com

Welcome to 1Password! 😊

-Dave

• rochrunner
    rochrunner
    Community Member

@Dave_1P Thanks. I had read that but was wondering how to import some of my LastPass records into my personal vault and others (from the LastPass shared folders) into the vault that my wife and I will share. However, I think I have that figured out pretty well now. The instructions on that page are a bit sketchy, plus what's in the video does match the written instructions (which appear to be more up to date according to how LastPass works for me).

• @rochrunner

I'm happy to hear that you were able to figure things out.

I've taken a look and our documentation team is already working on updating that page and the embedded video. I'm sorry that the steps were outdated, we'll get it fixed as soon as possible. Thank you for flagging this. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/web/support.1password.com#3647
    ref: dev/web/support.1password.com#3665

• spiegelmbc
    spiegelmbc
    Community Member

I have a similar question. I have a trial family plan with 1Password. I have a family plan with Last Pass. I have imported all my Last Pass shared items into a Shared Folder on 1Pass. When I add my wife to my 1password Family Plan will I get duplicates if I import all her Last Pass items (via a CSV file) which include the same shared items?

Mark

• @spiegelmbc

Welcome to 1Password! I'm sorry to hear that you're seeing duplicates after migrating from Lastpass. I recommend sending an email to support+forum@1Password.com so that our dedicated migration team can take a look. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your message and make sure it's gotten to the right place. 🙂

-Dave

• spiegelmbc
    spiegelmbc
    Community Member

I have a similar question. I have a trial family plan with 1Password. I have a family plan with Last Pass. I have imported all my Last Pass shared items into a Shared Folder on 1Pass. When I add my wife to my 1password Family Plan will I get duplicates if I import all her Last Pass items 9via a CSV file) which include the same shared items?

Mark

• spiegelmbc
    spiegelmbc
    Community Member

Dave,

Thanks for your reply. I am not seeing duplicates. I wanted to know how to import my wife's shared items to avoid duplicates.

Mark

• @spiegelmbc

I'm sorry for misunderstanding. If you've already imported the shared items into your Private vault then when your wife imports her items she can turn off “Import items in shared folders” as explained in step 7 here: Move your data from LastPass to 1Password

Then you can move any items that you'd like to share with your wife from your Private vault into a shared vault: Share passwords with your family

-Dave

• mjones72
    mjones72
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

For anyone reading this later, the basic documentation doesn't mention how LastPass exports shared folders/items and what that does when you import them (https://support.1password.com/import-lastpass/). If you just blindly, as I did, export each person and then import the resultant file you WILL end up with dupes of all your shared passwords. 1Password does not have a dupe finder.

There is an advanced page with more technical details about how to use the CLI, etc. to import -- https://github.com/1Password/solutions/tree/main/migration -- that has a better explanation about what will happen when each person does this. That should be in the core documentation in my opinion.

This discussion has been closed.