Newbie Questions - Import & Organization

Options
joelspitz
joelspitz
Community Member

Hello 1Password Community,

I'm a newbie 1password user and trying to wrap my hands around everything. 1. What is the best way to organize one's passwords that include a mix of websites, credit cards, bank account and other sensitive items like tax logins, etc. Should they all be placed into the Private vault or is it best to divide it up and have separate vaults for websites, credit cards and bank accounts? 2. As I currently keep everything in an Excel spreadsheet (I know, this isn't secure, hence why I'm transferring to 1Pass), what is the best way to import this information? I have several tabs and tried saving them as CSV, but the import failed likely because my column headers don't match up with what 1pass has. How can I rename the column headers, so that they can be easily imported into 1pass?

I would GREATLY appreciate it if anyone can quickly respond to this.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance with the above matters.

Joel

1Password Version: 8.9.12
Extension Version: 2.5.1
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@joelspitz

For now, import all your items and place them into your Private vault. If you are using a Family version of 1Password and need to share items, you can move them later to the Shared vault or some other of your choosing.

Regarding your CSV, the 1password.com CSV importer can import Logins, Credit Cards, and Secure Notes. You need to set the column label and row type for each item (it's quite tedious if you have many rows of data). This is all done via the web site importer.

The CSV importer cannot import the other types (like your bank account) into the appropriate 1Password categories, so they will have to be either ignored during the import or placed into a Secure Note where you will have to create new entries with the appropriate category and copy / paste fields from the Secure Note that contains the data.

If you are importing into the Desktop app, I believe field order matters, and the import used to be limited to 1 category per CSV. I can no longer find the instructions on 1Password's site for performing this in version 8 (here is a reference for 1Password 7, but I have not tried a 1Password 8 Desktop app CSV import). 1Password is encouraging users to use the (albeit limited) 1Password.com CSV importer.

Finally, the csv converter in the converter suite will allow you to converter into more of 1Password 8's categories, but the setup will take a little more work (since you are on Windows). Everything is explained at the link and in the README.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

About organizing your passwords: you can add tags to your items to create own structure and categories. Tags can be nested, use a / within a tag name to create sub-tags. I disabled the display of the hardcoded Categories in the sidebar and activated the tag display instead, for example.

Vaults are a means to implement access control and access separation. For family accounts, shared vaults can have customized access rules for each member, so for each access profile, you can create a dedicated vault. For standalone accounts, multiple vaults might be useful if you have items you use for business work and for private and don't want to clutter search results at work with private entries and vice versa. While at work, you create and use collections to access data from your business vault(s) only, and out of work, you create and use a different collection that only contains vaults with your non-business accounts.

While travelling to unsecure locations, you could configure travel mode which vaults are to be cached on the device you carry with you and which are not stored.

If you just have a bunch of logins all for private use and only for yourself, just put everything into the "Personal" vault as start. No need to put them into separate vaults as long as you don't really have a requirement to do so.

This discussion has been closed.