Did the requirements for the GitHub CLI plugin change recently? (field has to be named "token" now?)

XIII
XIII
Community Member
edited January 2023 in CLI

I have successfully used the GitHub CLI plugin before, but now it stopped working. 1Password is forcing me to rename/move my token.

I have multiple tokens in GitHub for different reasons and capture them all in a section "Tokens" with a name that reflects the purpose, but now 1Password forces me to rename the CLI token (which I named "GitHub CLI") to the non-descriptive name "token" in the "root" of my GitHub item.

This is user hostile. Can you please improve this?

(Let me choose the name and the location of the token; no restrictions)

Comments

• Hi @XIII:

Great question. The short version is it helps ensure good secret hygiene. Each token should exist in its own unique item, rather than multiple tokens stored in a single item.

Jack

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

Can you please explain why?

• Hey @XIII , we decided to exclude the custom fields correspondences from the the stable release mainly because we did not want to encourage diverging plugin item structures, which would have introduced an extra layer of complexity. The structure that is now enforced for each plugin ensures that at most one credential set exists per item.

Additionally, because the way these correspondences were initially implemented for the beta builds, they brought many other problems, mostly related to the inability to sync with changes brought to the referenced item. We may decide to bring this option back, once we come up with a user-friendly solution. We'll make sure to keep you posted on that. :)

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Best,
    Horia

This discussion has been closed.