Windows Hello fingerprint not available

Options
Marcuse7
Marcuse7
Community Member
edited July 2022 in Windows

I use Windows Hello with a fingerprint sensor to logon to Windows 10 and have enabled Windows Hello in 1Password 8 (it worked with 1Password 7). Unfortunately the fingerprint sensor no longer works in 1Password after switching to version 8, the "Making sure it's you" dialog is never display. I cannot use TPM on Windows.

1Password Version: 8.7.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 19044.1826, 64 bit
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @Marcuse7, thanks for your message. I'm sorry to hear of the troubles you've encountered with Windows Hello fingerprint since you've updated to 1Password 8.

1Password hands the duty of unlocking with Windows Hello over to Windows Security. If you cannot use the TPM on Windows, you will be required to unlock 1Password 8 with your account password for the first time after you boot, reboot, or had completely exited the desktop app. Then, with all subsequent unlocks, you should be able to unlock with Windows Hello.

Can you confirm that after unlocking with your account password, then locking 1Password with Ctrl + Shift + L, does the next unlock prompt you with Windows Hello? If so, does your the option to unlock with your fingerprint appear under More choices in the Windows Security prompt?

If you are still having troubles, you can try removing and setting up those Windows Hello options from scratch in Windows itself under Sign-in options.

I hope this helps, but if you have additional troubles, please let us know and we'll be happy to help look into this further.

• Marcuse7
    Marcuse7
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @ag_mike_d, thank you for your kind reply.
    In 1Password 8 the lock menu item is inactive (the keyboard setting for locking is active, though).
    When I lock Windows 10 and un-lock it, this also locks 1Password 8. I can then indeed unlock 1Password 8 with Windows Hello and fingerprint sensor.
    So it works, just differently from what I had expected. Thank you very much!

• Marcuse7
    Marcuse7
    Community Member
    Options

I cannot unlock with fingerprint sensor when 1Password 8 is locked due to inactivity, though.

• Good morning @Marcuse7, you're most welcome! I'm happy to hear you've got things sorted out.

I cannot unlock with fingerprint sensor when 1Password 8 is locked due to inactivity, though.

I've created a sample screenshot below of 1Password 8 locking due to inactivity. At that point, are you seeing the Unlock with Windows Hello button to the right of the account password field? Clicking this button should prompt you with Windows Hello. Does this work for you?

• Marcuse7
    Marcuse7
    Community Member
    Options

Good afternoon @ag_mike_d , sorry for the late reply!
    I see the Windows Hello button and it works as expected! I did not see that, sorry (again). Please consider including it on page https://support.1password.com/windows-hello/, section WIndows Hello.
    The only difference to 1Password 7 seems to be that the fingerprint window does not come up automatically any more (although setting "Show Windows Hello prompt automatically" is activated). Using Ctrl+N to invoke Windows Hello works fine, please consider including this information in dialog Help | Keyboard Shortcuts and/or page https://support.1password.com/keyboard-shortcuts/.

• Hi @Marcuse7, thanks for getting back to me with this feedback. I'm happy to hear things are working as expected with Windows Hello.

With regard to the fingerprint option not appearing automatically, this sounds like Windows Hello is not giving priority to this option. I would suggest trying to remove and re-add your fingerprint to Windows Hello through Windows Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options.

It seems in this case Ctrl + N is a function of Windows Hello and specific to Windows itself. Once the app is unlocked, Ctrl + N serves the function of creating a new item within 1Password.

I hope this is helpful, but please let us know if you have any other questions. Have a great day!

• Mikka
    Mikka
    Community Member
    Options

Hi! I have a same problem after updating 1pass for Windows 10 and last months I cannot unlock 1Pass by fingerprints - only by PIN, while I login to Windows each time by fingerprints.

• Hello @Mikka,

I'm sorry for the recent troubles you experienced with the Windows Hello only providing the option of the PIN.

The 1Password 8 for Windows desktop app asks Windows to authenticate you through Windows Hello using a Pin, fingerprint or face scan. When Windows Hello Fingerprint is setup and working as mentioned, I would expect the Windows Security prompt to provide More choices so you can select the fingerprint instead of PIN, which it does not appear to be doing so in your screenshot and seems to be an issue with Windows Hello itself.

Could you try to remove and re-add both your PIN and fingerprint through Windows Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options, reboot your device and try 1Password again. Please let us know if this helps.

• Mikka
    Mikka
    Community Member
    Options

ag_mike_d thank you for the advise. I have removed fingerprints from Windows Hello then restarted Windows, then added fingerprints again. And now Windows Hello for 1Pass suggests log in by fingerprints. And also I see More choices link

• Hello @Mikka,

I'm glad @ag_mike_d's suggestion has solved your issue.

As always, don't hesitate to contact us if you ever have any other questions - we'll be here to help.

Jermaine

This discussion has been closed.