Why has the 1Password app icon on my Mac turned all blue and how can I get the regular icon back?

ChrisJenkins
ChrisJenkins
Community Member

Just before Christmas I installed a 1Password8 update (beta channel) on my MacBook Pro running Ventura. After the update I noticed that the App icon in /Applications and the Dock was now all blue. At first I assumed it was a deliberate change related to the festive season until I noticed that another Mac running the exact same version still had the normal icon.

I just updated to a newer beta version and the icon is still all blue. Why is this please and how can I get it to revert to the normal 1Password icon?

1Password Version: 8.10.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.1
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member

@ChrisJenkins The blue icon indicates that you are running the Beta. If you want the regular icon you will need to revert back to the Production release channel.

• ChrisJenkins
    ChrisJenkins
    Community Member

Wonder why they made that change. Seems unnecessary. Ah well, I guess it is back to the production channel for me then.

• Hi @ChrisJenkins

In November/December, we updated the icon of the beta version of 1Password to better distinguish it from the production version with the usual icon. We also updated the icon slightly around this time which is why we introduced this updated icon for the beta version of 1Password. @OAW is correct in saying that reverting back to the production release will bring back the regular icon.

• ChrisJenkins
    ChrisJenkins
    Community Member

So I can have the (nice) regular icon and the production release, or the (horrid) beta icon and the beta release but not the nice icon with the beta release. I pretty much always run the beta release (so I can report issues more rapidly) but I really hate the all blue icon. Guess I will just revert to production then.

• Dave_1P
    edited January 2023

@ChrisJenkins

Thank you for the feedback. Switching to the production version would indeed return the non-beta version icon to the app.

Alternatively, macOS allows you to set a custom icon for your installed apps:

1. Open your Applications folder.
    2. Right-click on the 1Password app.
    3. Click Get Info.
    4. Drag the icon that you'd like to see on top of the existing icon. You might need to enter your Mac admin password.
    5. Right-click on the 1Password icon in the menubar and click Quit.
    6. Re-open 1Password.

The downside is that the custom icon will likely be undone with each update to the beta so switching to the production version is still the best option if you'd really like the non-beta icon. I've passed along a request on your behalf to the product team to include a way to change the icon from inside of the app in the future.

-Dave

ref: PB-30497686

• Andrew88759
    Andrew88759
    Community Member

Hi there,
    My icon changes between Beta and Production versions: sometimes it is regular sometimes blue.
    I do not jump between release channels.
    My Release Channel is currently set to Production but yet have the beta icon.
    On the about page it states I am on the BETA channel.
    What is occurring and how do I fix?
    Thanks in advance.
    Andrew

1Password for Mac 8.10.0
    81000012, on BETA channel (from about page)

Yet the Advanced Settings page shows

• ChrisJenkins
    ChrisJenkins
    Community Member

I found that if I am running a beta release and switch to the production channel it still picks up beta updates. Not sure why that would be... Maybe a bug?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2023

Switching update channels will not downgrade you to a previous version. You would stay on and continue to get updates on the previously selected channel until a new release is available from the newly selected channel. This is because we sometimes make changes to the local database structure that are not backwards compatible. If such a change had happened in the channel you were on, and we automatically downgraded you to the newly selected channel, you may not be able to access your data.

Ben

• ChrisJenkins
    ChrisJenkins
    Community Member

This is somewhat problematic. I switched the channel in the app to Production but as noted it still downloads (and then applies) beta updates. Even when set to manual update check it doesn't;t just tell you there I an update, it downloads and applies it so once you check you are committed to take the update (kind of unhelpful). How can I safely revert from Beta to Production without risking any incompatibilities?

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2023

@ChrisJenkins

1. 🛑 Make sure you have your Emergency Kit, your account password and all of your data is available on 1Password.com.
    2. Quit 1Password and all browsers for good measure. Right-click 1Password in the menu bar (If it's there) and click Quit.
    3. Open Finder, and click the Go menu > Go to Folder...
      In the box that appears, copy and paste the following exactly:

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/Library/Application Support/1Password/

4. Press Return.

5. You'll see a folder called Data – right-click on the folder and select Compress "Data".

6. Drag the original Data folder to the Trash. - This helps to ensure you are not on an incompatible database version.
    7. In Finder again double-click Update, double-click Downloads and empty it of any downloaded copies. Ensures you don't get accidentally updated
    8. Drag 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash. - Replacing the app with the desired version.
    9. Download a new copy of 1Password from here. Gets you the production release.
    10. Run the installer and complete any remaining steps of the setup process.
    11. You should now be on the production build.
  • ChrisJenkins
    ChrisJenkins
    Community Member

@ag_tommy Thanks! That did the trick.

• @ChrisJenkins

I'm happy that Tommy was able to help. 🙂

-Dave

• Andrew88759
    Andrew88759
    Community Member
    edited February 2023

@Ben So therefore what you are saying is there could be a delay from switching from Beta Channel back to Production channel until it is deemed safe to switch back?
    I have noticed my 1Password switch back to the Production channel with the update to 1Password for Mac 8.10.0 (81000055). My icon also changed back. Yay!!

• Hey @Andrew88759

Correct; the switch wouldn't happen immediately. Changing the channel setting will never take you from a newer version to an older version.

I have noticed my 1Password switch back to the Production channel with the update to 1Password for Mac 8.10.0 (81000055). My icon also changed back. Yay!!

👍️

Ben

This discussion has been closed.