Passwords are not showing up on Android for Linked Apps with website credentials

powpow12
powpow12
Community Member
edited January 2023 in Android

I've been trying out 1password for my family and really enjoying it over other password managers like Lastpass. However, on Android I seem to be having issues with some apps when using credentials that were originally for the website version. For example, my captialone account works fine in browser but when I open up in app, 1P doesn't display my credentials. I have to manually open the 1P app and search for the account, copy and paste the password over. Could this be a permission issue? Is there a "health check" functionality that would check everything is good? Capitalone and thinkorswim are two apps that don't prompt me with credentials even though they are linked.

Let me know if there is more information I can provide and Happy new year!

1Password Version: 8.9.10
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: S22+ Android 13
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:android app

Comments

• Hi @powpow12, thanks for writing in. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying 1Password Families!

I suspect there may be two factors at play here. First off, linking to Android apps works a little differently than linking to a website or to apps on another platform (iOS for example). If you have previously used your Capital One login on their website or with the Android app via another password manager, the item likely does not have an Android app link.

To add the app link to an existing item, you can tap the "Open 1Password" prompt, search for and select your item then tap "Fill & Update Login".

With the Capital One app, 1Password should prompt you to Autofill from the username field (either with your linked item or with "Open 1Password") but I noticed the same prompt does not appear after tapping the password field. If you use the "remember me" feature in the app it may appear that 1Password cannot fill in this app. To help with this, you can set Autofill prompts to below fields:
    1. Open and unlock 1Password for Android.
    2. Tap the account or collection icon.
    3. Tap Settings > Autofill.
    4. Tap Display Autofill prompts > Below the fields they relate to.

Now when you tap the username or password field in the Capital One app do you see a prompt from 1Password?

In testing Think or Swim I found a similar issue which was resolved with the steps above. I did find after some restarts of the Think or Swim app I needed to "force" Autofill. To do so you can long press the field then tap Autofill (or ⋮ > Autofill) in the context menu that appears.

Let us know how that goes for you!

• fbrownnc
    fbrownnc
    Community Member

I'm having a similar issue with the Starbucks app. Autofill seems to work with other apps, but when I try opening from the android app, the username/password are not populated. I've tried long pressing the password field in the app and do not get the "Open 1Password" or prompt to autofill. What exactly does the Linked app option do? ad can this be manually created?

• jchamp
    jchamp
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue. If I choose to open 1password from the prompt above the keyboard while in an app (for example Chase mobile), my chase credential doesn't show up when searching using the 1password prompt. However, if I launch the 1password app manually (not via the keyboard prompt), I can then search for the chase account and it shows up. Not sure why it would appear one way any not the other.

• Hi @fbrownnc, thanks for following up. I did some testing with the Starbucks app and found that I could not fill either field with 1Password. When attempting to prompt Autofill I saw the "Contents can't be Autofilled" toast which often means a change in the filling service or to the app may be required to get that working. I've reported this to the team so we can take a look.

When an app link is added to the item, it can be suggested when you go to fill if Show filling suggestions is on. It works similarly to having a URL saved in the website field of an item so that the item is suggested when you visit that domain in your browser. App links cannot be added manually, only by creating or updating an item through the "Open 1Password" menu. Even if they could be added manually, if 1Password was not prompting to fill previously, adding the link wouldn't change that.

Hi @jchamp, thanks for your question.

The search function in the "Open 1Password" menu searches by title where as the search function in the Search tab can look for titles, usernames and more. Would you happen to be searching by username or another field that doesn't match the items title?

• jchamp
    jchamp
    Community Member

@ag_timothy that was the exact problem. The name of the 2nd account didn't mention "Chase". I've corrected it. Thanks!

• Thanks for the update @jchamp! I'm glad to hear you got that working.

• Mullaghroe
    Mullaghroe
    Community Member

This seems close but not identical to my problem. I'm running 1Password 8 on Android 13 on a Pixel 6a. When I register for a new account or service I am never prompted to save a 1Password login. The same when I try to log back in to an app. I've got all the Autofill settings that you require including having 1Password selected as my Autofill service in phone settings. Can you help please?

• Hi @Mullaghroe, thanks for letting us know about this issue on your device.

If prompts are currently set above the keyboard, try setting them below fields and let me know if that improves the behavior:
    1. Open and unlock 1Password for Android.
    2. Tap the account or collection icon.
    3. Tap Settings > Autofill.
    4. Tap Display Autofill prompts > Below the fields they relate to.

If prompts are still not appearing, you can share a few apps or websites where you've seen this and I would be happy to take a look. For websites, please include the browser as well.

• xboom01
    xboom01
    Community Member

I was having the same issue with the US Bank app on my android phone. Switching the Autofill setting to show Below the fields they relate to almost works. When I hold on the account name it pops up a box that says Autofill now and will put in the password but not the user ID which may not sound like a problem except I have so many user ID's that I have to go back to 1password and find the user ID. At least I'm only copying the user ID and not the password.

• ag_audrey
    edited March 2023

Hey @xboom01, I tested the US Bank app and see the same behaviour. I've reported this to our development team.

In the meantime, you can use split screen mode to drag and drop your credentials into the US Bank app.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with!

ref: dev/core/core#16229

• xboom01
    xboom01
    Community Member

I don't like the split screen mode, to me it's more of a pain than just a normal copy and paste. Since I switched to show Below the fields it will occasionally fill in the username and password other times it will only fill in one of the fields.

• Hi @xboom01, thanks for following up with us.

I can understand your preference to copy and paste instead of using split screen mode. With US bank, you could also try these steps instead of switching between apps:
    1. Open the US bank app and long press a sign in field.
    2. Tap "Open 1Password".
    3. Tap ⋮ next to your US bank item.
    4. Tap the username field.
    5. Tap back then tap your US bank item to fill the password.
    6. Paste your username from the clipboard.

• xboom01
    xboom01
    Community Member

Lucky for me it's one of the usernames I can remember. The password field seems to always populate.

• Thanks @xboom01. I agree with you there, both fields would of course be ideal but if it's only one it's much easier to work around a missing username.

This discussion has been closed.