Please allow PIN unlock in 1P8 Android

Comments

• JRWest
    JRWest
    Community Member

Yeah, this is a PIA.

New user switching from LastPass.

Fingerprints seem very flaky and insecure. Too easy to trick the sensors. Also : When my fingerprint ends up getting stolen, do I need to take a blow torch to my hands to get a new fingerprint? No thanks.
    Also, the TSA/Police can force you to put your finger on a reader w/o a warrant. They can't (currently) force you to enter your pin/password w/o a warrant.

So my current choice is to have a really insecure master password, or spend all day re-entering a secure one? I thought 1Password was supposed to make my life easier. It seems to be doing the opposite.

I think I'm going to postpone my switch until there is a workaround for this.

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

+1 for PIN Unlock to be reinstated and possibly fully integrated with the device security (if biometrics are PIN should be able to be also). This is also a major issue for many iOS (iPhone & iPad) users, see: PIN Lock Option Removed in V8 and in particular my latest post there today (and this Android thread has a lot of excellent impact cases where the PIN removal has been a significant detriment).

• Thanks for weighing in here @Blunderbuss. I can definitely understand your interest in a PIN unlock option and have shared your comments with the team. While I can't make any promises about our development, you can keep an eye on our release notes for any changes, All the latest releases from the 1Password Team

ref: dev/core/core#18328

• dmj111
    dmj111
    Community Member

+1 for PIN unlock.

Also, I'd like a an option shorter than 2-weeks for allowing the fingerprint/PIN to unlock the app.

• sumio
    sumio
    Community Member

+1 for PIN unlock.

My wife always unlocks the screen with a PIN because fingerprint authentication doesn't work for her.
    I am very disappointed to know that the Android app does not have a PIN unlock feature.

I was thinking of starting using 1Password Families this time, but I would wait until the PIN unlock feature is installed.

• MarkLenz
    MarkLenz
    Community Member

Add me to the list of users wanting a PIN unlock, for all the same reasons mentioned. Entering the master password every time is a real pain. I understand the need to balance convenience and security, but convenience is really being given a back seat here.

• fbrownnc
    fbrownnc
    Community Member

+1 Indeed, goes without saying I miss my PIN. On the bright side, I'm increasing my finger strength from typing my password so many times ;-)

• rochrunner
    rochrunner
    Community Member

Just switched from LastPass and agree with previous posts about a PIN unlock option. On my Pixel 6a the fingerprint reader works great for unlocking but my Samsung tablet has no biometric option, and after my LP experience I've gone to a more complex password.

• GolferWHH
    GolferWHH
    Community Member

I also have Pixel phones (PIN unlock), and a Samsung Tablet with no biometric option and two Windows PC's with "Hello" Pin established.. I"m still in a trial period, coming from LastPass, and find PIN unlock on Windows (Hello) is good, but am required to re-enter Password in the App at what seems random situations. I'm unable to figure out why, but add I'm flipping between devices with 1PW installed.

It would be real nice to have a PIN unlock capability, even it it requires a minimum number of characters. I will add that once you get comfortable with how 1PW works in the Windows and Android environment i'm comfortable that the product matches usability of LP; and I'm satisfied the underlying security is better(?).

Again, my vote for PIN unlock, a 20 plus word/symbol/number master password on frequent logons when the devices are being used in an environment with good physically security is a tad frustrating.

• aag1944
    aag1944
    Community Member

I also vote for pin unlock. Biometric does not work with my fingerprint (for 1Password or anything else on my Android Pixel 5.) As it is 1password is almost useless; 1P 7 was great. Per 1P recommendations my unlock password is 14 characters. Typing them on a keyboard is not a problem and furthermore, on MacOS, 1P stays unlocked all day. Carrying around a keyboard for my phone is not an option. Perhaps using the pattern unlock would be a good alternative if developers are too stuck on no pin option.

• vossrobert123
    vossrobert123
    Community Member

So, I have been a 1P user ever since LP got rid of their free tier (wish I had switched sooner). I know it has been said numerous times here but I will add mine too because hopefully there will be enough demand for the feature for them to implement the PIN again.

I have a similar reason for wanting the feature as another user...I have a physical condition that prevents me from using the fingerprint scanner as well as holding the phone at the correct angle for facial recognition to work. In order to use my phone (I have the S22 Ultra) I use the s pen in my mouth most of the time, or I will use my nose/lip. As you can imagine typing can be a literal pain nevermind being slow (glide typing helps for things like this, but not passwords). I think that a balance can be achieved to where it is not quite so difficult to fill passwords which apart from allowing me to be more secure, also speeds up my workflow but is now becoming an obstacle rather than a shortcut.

• richschu
    richschu
    Community Member

Please, please, please re-implement this feature. I cannot tell you how frustrating it is to have to re-enter my full password each time I want to unlock! To be fair, this is not entirely 1Password's fault; the fingerprint scanner on the Pixel 6a is an absolute dumpster fire of a disaster. It is trash. Garbage. POS. To the point where I can't use it all on my phone, and therefore I can't use it to unlock 1Password.

Please let us use PINs again! 🙏

• Hi everyone! Thanks for adding your +1s and sharing this excellent feedback. I have passed this along to the team and hopefully we'll have some updates to share in the not-so-distant future. In the mean time, please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

• vishal206
    vishal206
    Community Member

Yes please!! Pin unlock is desperately needed!

• Thanks for chiming in, @vishal206!

ref: PB-30755606

• Thanks for sharing that @MerryBit! That is correct, PIN unlock will be coming in the not-so-distant future to the mobile apps!

Thanks again for everyone's input on this.

• jaylathoward
    jaylathoward
    Community Member
    edited March 2023

Hey there, I completely understand your frustration with not being able to use the fingerprint scanner or facial recognition due to your physical condition. It's important for software to be accessible to all users, and I hope 1Password takes note of the demand for the PIN to unlock feature.

• Thanks for your input! With the excellent and detailed feedback received here and in other channels we did revisit the PIN unlock feature. Check out the blog post MerryBit posted above for more details.

• robert1p
    robert1p
    Community Member

"Soon, you’ll have the ability to use your device PIN code or pattern to unlock 1Password."

Too bad it will be the device PIN. My preference would have been to support a unique 1Password PIN that is different from the device PIN.

• Thanks for sharing your thoughts @robert1p. This is the implementation of PIN unlock we're introducing at the moment but that doesn't close the door for new options or implementations in the future. I've passed along your comments to the team.

• me2023
    me2023
    Community Member

+1 I don't want to use biometrics, and can't get the app to let me use a PIN, and I've typed my master password every few minutes for 3 days now and I'm slowly losing the will to live. I'm even considering going back to LastPass at this rate (not really but maybe). Please help.

• Hey @me2023, as detailed in a blog post from earlier in the year, PIN unlock will be coming soon!

• AlmoEnd
    AlmoEnd
    Community Member

+1 on @arbitraryreadwrite post. I'm sure it's easier to hijack a 4-digit pin than a 14-character pass phrase, although no difference when a keylogger is installed on your device. And I really don't like the thought that a photo of me can be used to circumvent biometrics on "certain" Android devices with cheaper cameras. So my vote is against the use of PIN unlock (there must have been a reason 1P dropped it from 7 to 8).

As far as

• "And how many are on Android 11 or higher, meaning the latter could be implemented using Keystore's AUTH_DEVICE_CREDENTIAL, delivering some real security?"

I would expect future revs of 1P 8 to be better aware of Android version, since Android support on 8 for version < 9 was dropped, and take advantage of any inbuilt security / authentication mechanisms that didn't exist a year ago when 8 was initially rolled out. Sounds simple, I know, unless you happen to be a developer...

• Thanks for weighing in and sharing this feedback @AlmoEnd!

Based on the insightful input from conversations like this thread, we have revisited PIN unlock options with the 1Password mobile apps. There have been some particularly compelling points raised around accessibility and in other areas. Messaging to help highlight potential risks of PIN unlock will be included and there are limitations to how this feature can be used compared to biometric or password unlock.

To your second point, we're always working to keep the 1Password apps up to date with any OS changes and to make use of new options that become available to help ensure their security. The team here is also intent on iterating and optimizing on features like PIN unlock to find a balance between security and convenience for 1Password users. Thanks again!

• Matty279
    Matty279
    Community Member

Has there been any further progress on adding support for unlocking with a PIN with 1Password 8 for Android? Having to regularly unlock with a password really degrades the user experience. I have recently moved from 1Password 8 for iPhone which supports unlocking with a PIN and the user experience is much smoother. I would rather use unlocking with a PIN than biometrics though I can't see that unlocking using biometrics is supported either with 1Password 8 for Android. Another option is to allow permanent unlocking of 1Password and let the user rely on the phone's PIN for data protection though the ability to always be able to unlock 1Password with a PIN is the preferred methodology.

• Hi @Matty279, thanks for following up with us.

I can confirm there has been work going on behind the scenes to bring additional unlock options to 1Password for Android. While it's not available quite yet we'd certainly like to include additional unlock options with 1Password for Android as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience!

I can't see that unlocking using biometrics is supported either with 1Password 8 for Android.

Biometric unlock is available with 1Password for Android on devices that have a fingerprint scanner or Class 3 unlock security for Face unlock. You can find steps to enable Biometric unlock in our guide: Use your fingerprint, face, or iris to unlock 1Password on your Android device.

Let us know if you have any questions or if there's anything we can help with!

• Attertux
    Attertux
    Community Member

+1, switched from Lastpass and still need it to unlock 1Password... Pointless... What exactly is the "not-so-distant future" from January 6th?

• Hi @Attertux, thanks for following up with us.

I understand how important this feature is for many. My apologies for the delay. We typically cannot provide firm dates on releases as there are a number of factors that go into when a feature or change will be available. I hope to share something a little more concrete soon!

Let us know if we can help with anything and thanks for your patience.

• new_creation
    new_creation
    Community Member

I came to request this feature, I'm glad to hear there are additional unlock options in development. Thanks for listening to the community!

This discussion has been closed.