How to search password in archive in 1Password 8 on macOS?

Options
gasses_bird
gasses_bird
Community Member

The search functionality seems can only search passwords outside Archive. Is there a way to search passwords in the archive in 1Password 8 on macOS?

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• andclarke
    andclarke
    Community Member
    Options

I need this too.

• ag_tommy
    Options

Thanks all. I've got you penciled in for being excited to see a feature such as this. Hopefully, the team can come through with it.

• mickeymouse1
    mickeymouse1
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not sure if this is a similar issue, but I from 1Pass 7 to 1Pass 8, we lost the ability to search for a password by a fragment of the Password title. For example if I the title of my entry is 1Password.com, I no longer see that entry when I type "Password" into the search field.

• Hi @mickeymouse1:

Thanks for your feedback on this! As it currently stands, search uses word boundaries like spaces, or capitalization to find words. In a situation like yours, using Edit > Find might be able to find what you're looking for. Let me know if that works for you!

Jack

• jlndavis
    jlndavis
    Community Member
    Options

@Jack.P_1P ,

I can confirm @mickeymouse1 's issue and my experience was that using the Edit > Find functionality didn't work the first time I tried it, but then did. A bit strange.

Regarding @gasses_bird 's original issue, I would like to put in a vote for this too. Before 1Password added the Archive function, there was a work-around where you could create a vault called Archive and hide the Archive vault from the All Vaults view. This would allow you to move any item to the Archive vault, then, when you're viewing a website none of the items in the archive would be suggested. But in the 1password interface, the Archive could be searched like any other Vault.

Now that 1password has added the Archive function, all of my archived items have been resurrected and show up when I visit the website that it applies to. There is no longer an option to hide a vault from "all vaults" so the only choice is to archive all of the items in the Archive vault, but then they are unsearchable. There is at least one other thread on this forum and a couple of reddit threads about this issue. Please fix.

• Hey @jlndavis:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I've added your feedback to an internal discussion we have tracking this.

Jack

ref: IDEA-I-929

• DKroot
    DKroot
    Community Member
    edited July 2022
    Options

I was looking for a way to search in Archive as well. This discussion gave me the answer: Edit > Find works when you're in Archive! I never used Edit > Find before: I always use Search. I think that I'll start using Edit > Find now: it's a useful way to filter a long list (for example, of tagged items, etc.). Can I make a couple of suggestions for developers? If I were you, I would:

• Add some button in UI for it. (I'll have to remember the keyboard shortcut for now).
    • Rename it to Filter or Toggle Filter
  • Thanks DKroot. Hopefully, this is indeed something we can improve on.

• 1Jeff
    1Jeff
    Community Member
    Options

I would also like to add my +1 for this. I don't really mind that "Archive Search" isn't part of the "Main Search", in fact I kind of like that separation, since I don't want my archived entries showing up every time I search for "password". But it would be nice if this was differentiation more intuitive in the interface.

• andrew.l_1P
    edited August 2022
    Options

I agree, @1Jeff, I don't think I'd want my archived items showing in the default search but I can appreciate that that doesn't necessitate not being able to search the archive it all. I've added a vote on your behalf. 👍🏻

• DKroot
    DKroot
    Community Member
    Options

I also like that archived items don't appear in the main Search. It makes total sense.

• Ben
    Options

👍🏻😁

Ben

• calebcuster
    calebcuster
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, this is a real problem. When a project is no longer active I archive all the logins since I don't need them showing up on a regular basis. But when that client comes around again I need to bring them all back. I have 2700 items in my archive and there's no way to search through them. Sort, filter, sort again, try to remember when it was created, sort again... that's crazy. I think it would be better to go back to 1P 7 where the search was more robust until this is fixed.

• calebcuster
    calebcuster
    Community Member
    Options

So it's super easy to go back to 1P 7 and the search is awesome again. Click on Archive, search within archive... ah... useable! It actually reminds me of a lot of missing features in 8. I don't think 8 is really forward progress but a stripped down version which isn't really as useful for me.

• AlexLogvynovskiy
    AlexLogvynovskiy
    Community Member
    Options

It would be great to get the search within Archive back again, please.

• Hi @AlexLogvynovskiy,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know this is important to you, I've added your feedback to our internal tracker. 👍🏻

I've done the same for you, @calebcuster. In the meantime, the example you mentioned might be an opportunity to explore collections: Use collections to create custom groups of vaults

If you try it out, let me know how it goes! Likewise if either of you have any questions. 🙂

• scottbuscemi
    scottbuscemi
    Community Member
    Options

Adding my +1 here - please add the search back to the archives. It's impossible to know if I accidentally archived a login because it's hard to find logins there.

• You've been added, @scottbuscemi, appreciate you letting us know this is important to you! 👍🏻

• mrnebbi
    mrnebbi
    Community Member
    Options

Andrew, we also need the ability to use search within the Archive. Perhaps an advanced search or toggle to include archives?

• @mrnebbi

Thank you for the feedback! I've passed it along to the product team. 🙂

-Dave

• 3rdparty
    3rdparty
    Community Member
    Options

hi - adding a +1 to searching within Archives - being able to toggle or advanced-search to include/exclude from results would be super helpful. My main use case now for archiving is logins I still want a record of but don't want popping up within browser autofill options.

• codeknight
    codeknight
    Community Member
    Options

+1. I have hundreds of items in the archive. Not being able to search them is a massive pain

• Hi @3rdparty and @codeknight,

Thanks for your feedback on this topic. I agree that a toggle to include archived entries is a good idea and have added votes on behalf of both of you to our internal tracker on the topic. 🙂

• murky
    murky
    Community Member
    Options

I registered just to post my feedback. I like the archived functionality and want to use it for old credit cards (i have around 30 of these so far as a serial churner).

The lack of a search functionality makes it very difficult to use the archive for use cases like this. It would be great if a search functionality is added for the archive, because as is, it's not very useful.

• @murky

Thank you for the feedback, I've passed it along to the product team. 🙂

-Dave

• hnnnng
    hnnnng
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

I also have to express the necessity of this topic as well. I'm constantly archiving logins from websites that - at least temporarily - are no longer relevant and should not be suggested to me on a regular basis.
    But if that changes, it's currently impossible to find the right login among the mass of archived logins.

No matter if it's some kind of buried search, a toggle or whatever: Somehow the archive has to be searchable.

And of course, this should be possible on all platforms.

• @hnnnng

Thank you for adding your voice to the discussion as well. I'm noted your request. 🙂

-Dave

• robotlemon
    robotlemon
    Community Member
    Options

i would guess the easy way to do this is to implement search modifiers common in many email programs. such as (in the search bar) SomeLogin in:archives or SomeLogin in:PersonalVault

• Hi @robotlemon,

Happy to share we do have an open feature request to bring search pills to 1Password 8. I can't make any promises but I certainly see the benefits and would welcome the addition myself! I'll add your voice to our internal tracker on the topic, let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

ref: IDEA-I-1480

This discussion has been closed.