1Password for Mac 8.9.11 (80911019): Please make all windows/dialogue windows modular.

Terylon
Terylon
Community Member

Dear 1P-Team, it would be nice if every dialogue box would be a modular window (like the preferences window). On a Mac, the close buttons are always on the left top corner of a window - take a look at the finder windows for example. Thank you!

1Password Version: 8.9.11
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Modular Windows

Comments

• Hi @Terylon,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. If you're open to sharing, could I ask exactly where in the 1Password 8 app you're not seeing a separate window? Feel free to attach a screenshot if it's easier, just be careful to obscure any personal information. Looking forward to your reply!

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

I agree with @Terylon that 1PW should at least respect the most basic UI principles of macOS or any other OS it supports.

Here are some (modal) windows with an 'X' top right...

User/account dropdown

• Create Collection
    • Manage Accounts
    • Set Up Another Device

New Item

3 dots menu within an item

• Move
    • Duplicate
    • View History

Modal dialogues on macOS have abort/cancel/yes/no buttons but no windows chrome/close controls at the top.

• Terylon
    Terylon
    Community Member

Thank you @viswiz !

• Appreciate the examples and clarification, @Terylon + @viswiz!

I've logged this feedback along with your examples for our product team's consideration. Thanks again and let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

ref: PB-29827568

• ctry
    ctry
    Community Member

+1. One of the key things to making an app feel native and Mac-y is the use of multiple document windows and the ability to freely switch between them as you work. Some menus in 1P do this but many take over the whole application making it hard to multitask e.g. when looking at multiple items

• Hi @ctry,

Appreciate the additional insight. If you're open to sharing, it would help to know more about your use case for multiple windows. It's currently possible to open individual 1Password items in their own windows, and that data will update automatically if changes are made in the main app:

If you'd benefit from similar functionality with other windows in the app, it would help to know which ones. 🙂

• ctry
    ctry
    Community Member

@andrew.l_1P you can view items in separate windows, but creating or modifying an item takes over the main window. Often I'll be editing an item, realize that I want to look at another item for reference (especially important when importing from another password manager, since I'm doing a lot of cleaning up and consolidating to make things fit 1password's categories) and there's no way to view another item without exiting the edit window I'm in. If the edit pane were a real window, I could just ⌘` back to the main window and keep browsing. An example I like is the built-in macOS Mail app - composing a new message opens a floating window, allowing you to switch back to the main list to do something else without having to stop and save a draft.

Another place this has been an issue is when I go to edit something from the extension. Regardless of what I was doing in the main app, clicking edit on an item in the Safari extension takes over the app and loses whatever previous context there was. If the edit pane was a separate detached window, this wouldn't be an issue since it could pop up a new edit window without interfering with the main window.

• Thanks so much for sharing your use case in such detail, @ctry! It seems the most common use case here is one where we might be able to edit an item in a separate window. There's an open feature request for just that so I'll add your feedback there. I've also recorded an additional note for modular windows more broadly across the app.

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks again for taking the time to share your insight, I appreciate it!

ref: IDEA-I-610
    ref: PB-30156421

This discussion has been closed.