Is there a way to make a vault accessible to only one Mac?

Options
dwallis2
dwallis2
Community Member

I want to set up a vault that I can access only from my iMac and not be able to see its passwords on my MacBook Pro. Is that possible? I also want to share most passwords between the two computers.

I tried using the private vault for that purpose, but I can see the password for my bank on both computers.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:private vault for one Mac only

Comments

• dwallis2
    dwallis2
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using 1Password 7.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @dwallis2

Is there a security reason behind this, or is it just to scope your view to a particular context? I ask as there are a couple of possible solutions here, but which will be most appropriate will depend on your motivation for doing so.

To have the data available but hide it (1Password 7)

Please note that 1Password 7 has been retired and is no longer receiving updates or technical support. 1Password 8 is now available and is a free upgrade for those with a 1Password membership. If you're not using a membership yet, our migration team can help. They can be reached at support+tradein@1password.com.

The 'All Vaults' option in 1Password > Preferences is device specific. You could adjust which vaults appear in All Vaults to be different on each device.

To have the data available but hide it (if you upgrade to 1Password 8)

Our vault collections feature can scope your view. For example, some folks might have a "work" collection vs a "home" collection.

To avoid having the data on the other device at all (e.g. for security reasons)

With 1Password Families you could have two different 1Password accounts within your membership, and use a different account on each computer. You can then use the built-in Shared vault, or create your own, to share between the two accounts. Note: each user needs a unique email address. If you're using a service that supports "plus addressing" you can use a secondary address like your.address+1p2@gmail.com (emails to which will be delivered to your.address@gmail.com's inbox).

I hope that helps!

Ben

• dwallis2
    dwallis2
    Community Member
    Options

You answered my question. I don't want access to my money-related accounts on my laptop at all. So, I would have to set up a separate account, which is what I suspected. I do have a family account.

With your point regarding 1Password 8, I have a follow-up question. I can use the standalone app on my Macs, right? What I don't want to do is log on to 1Password every time I restart Safari, which the 1Password for Safari app seems to require. (I'm not sure how I ended up with v. 7. I just downloaded it yesterday. I'm on the trial, but will just let it roll over to the subscription mode.)

• dwallis2
    dwallis2
    Community Member
    Options

I answered my own question, thanks. I downloaded and am using v. 8.

• Ben
    Options

Glad to hear it. 😀 For anyone else reading: the 1Password 8 for Mac app integrates with 1Password for Safari such that unlocking one will unlock the other. With this setup there is no need to unlock every time you try to use 1Password in Safari.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us. 😊

Ben

This discussion has been closed.