Can I search/sort by password age?

gjatkinson
gjatkinson
Community Member
edited January 2023 in Windows

With 100s of passwords (~700 last I checked), I like to update passwords for a dozen or so sites each weekend so that within a full year I have all new passwords and have to start over. (It also forces me to re-review security settings, value of the account, etc.) Is it possible to search &/or sort by password age?

Search might be something like "password_age > 1 year". Though a sort feature would work (or an excel export somehow) or JSON output for the whole vault that I can code against (though would prefer not to code a solution.)

1Password Version: 8.9.10
Extension Version: 2.5.1
OS Version: Windows 11 Pro 22H2 build 22621.963
Browser:_ Firefox 108.0.1
Referrer: forum-search:search by password history

Comments

• Hello @gjatkinson,

Thanks for your message. It is not possible to search or sort by password age. However, we're looking into some possible options in Watchtower to warn of expiring passwords. My thought here is, when or if a feature like this becomes available, you'd be able to start setting expiration dates in a cycle on items so Watchtower will warn they're ready to be changed - does this sound like an option that would interest you? I'd be happy to pass your thoughts along to the team.

ref: IDEA-I-156

I'll submit your suggestion about an advanced sort option for password age. In the meantime, could you also let us know how you currently handle locating those items you'd like to change?

Looking forward to your reply.

ref: 29732012

• gjatkinson
    gjatkinson
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

Thanks. That option does sound feasible. Ideally a few extras would make it super useful like turning it on/off globally or per vault, setting a default time frame like 1 year out globally or per vault, allowing individual entries that override the default (so maybe finance-based passwords are expiring every 3 months versus everything else 1 year, or my work password every 30 days), and having the expiration reset automatically per password change.

Right now I do not have a good method in 1Password as I am new to the tool. But the other password managers I've used also don't have a good method. Historically I've maintain a small python script with sqlite DB that I import a vault export into. If the entry name does not exist, it gets added along with a default last password changed date, and a default expiration date in days, otherwise it is ignored and skipped. Only those 3 columns are in that database. Then a small script just shows me the expired entries (if change date + expiration days < today type of filter), lets me reset the changed date to today, and will let me change the default days. Fairly easy but manual and external to the password manager (that I am/was currently using, not 1Password) and has the risk of the vault exports I need to do just to get the entry name also seems to export the passwords.

(I assume I could have done all that in a spreadsheet easier now that I've typed this all out. HA!)

thanks again for the quick response and submitting the idea!

• ag_mike_d
    edited January 2023

Hello again @gjatkinson and thanks @Mycenius for pointing to that thread!

In cases where a regular password changes are not required, Grey's post highlights the advantages of using fantastic (and unique) generated passwords for each account, so there is no need to rotate them.

With regard to your additional feedback and thoughts about those feature requests, I've included those details for the team.

Have a great day, but do let us know if we can be of further assistance.

• brianadkins
    brianadkins
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

you can sort by password age in v7 of the Mac desktop app .... that feature was removed in v8

really wish you'd add the feature back because it is immensely useful to me

• Hello @brianadkins,

Thanks for passing your feedback along and letting us know how useful this feature is to you. I've included your details in the request we have open with the product team.

ref: 29732012

• sford
    sford
    Community Member

I would agree with this request "sort by password age".
    Even acknowledging the discussion in the linked thread, it is still a warm fuzzy feature.
    Thanks

• Hi @sford, thanks for letting us know that you're interested in this feature as well! I've passed your feedback along to our Product team 😄

ref: 30418443

• mplante
    mplante
    Community Member

Sort by password age would be useful to me as well.
    I've just recently migrated 900+ credentials over from LastPass following their breach. I love your product.
    thank you.

• Hi @mplante,

Thanks so much for your request and kind words. We're happy to hear how much you loving 1Password! I've sent this feedback along with your request to see a sort by password age feature in the 1Password 8, the Product team.

If you have any other suggestions, just let us know!

ref: 30809887

• lincolnloglady
    lincolnloglady
    Community Member

I vote for this feature too! It makes sense to periodically change old passwords. Thank you!

• pohlcat01
    pohlcat01
    Community Member

On the Windows version of the app you can sort by last modified. I dont change a lot on my items so it's working for me to use that.
    I imported from lp on 12/28 and can use last modified, scroll to the bottom, highlight an item, see created and modified date and know if I changed it.
    Might not be exactly what you are looking for... but if you are like me and dont modify items that much, it will prob work.

• Hello @lincolnloglady,

Thanks for your message and weighing in on this thread. I've passed your +1 along to the team.

In the meantime, do the other suggestions mentioned here help?

Thanks to @pohlcat01 for the suggestions of sorting by last modified. This can also be useful to narrow down these types of searches. See these details below as to how to sort items:

Please let us know if you have any further suggestions.

ref: 31039238

• BenN123
    BenN123
    Community Member

It seems the sorting functionality is specific to the desktop client? I have never installed it, in fact, I just found out there was a desktop client. Why is the sorting functionality not available in the browser extension version?

• Hello @BenN123,

Thanks for the follow up here. I'd recommend giving the 1Password 8 a try if you'd to have use of this type of functionally.

In the meantime, I can understand for customers not using the apps where this added functionality in 1Password in the browser could be useful. I've passed your feedback along to the Product team!

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

ref: 31167731

This discussion has been closed.