Don't create a empty .1password folder under Home directory

xkww3n
xkww3n
Community Member

1Password Linux has already meet the XDG Base Directory specification to store its files under $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/1Password. But when I open 1Password Linux client, it creates a empty .1password folder in my Home directory. Could you please fix this?

1Password Version: 8.9.10
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Arch Linux
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @xkww3n, thanks for reaching out to us. I apologize for our delayed response here. The ~/.1password directory is used for the 1Password SSH agent. It's not possible to prevent 1Password from creating this folder.

With that said, we do have an internal request to prevent 1Password from creating this folder when SSH is disabled. I'll add your voice there to further highlight user interest.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Ali

IDEA-I-1964

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

+1. the XDG base directory specification is a wonderful thing and conforming to it would be really nice.

• Hey @alexmshepherd , thanks for reaching out, your feedback is greatly appreciated!

While I don't have any updates to share, I've added your voice to the internal request we have raised for this.

Franky

• RogueScholar
    RogueScholar
    Community Member

I don't mean to pester you, @FrankyO1P, but if you wouldn't mind adding me to the tally of users who've requested this change, I'd sure appreciate it. I'm a big proponent of getting the clutter out of the $HOME directory, to the point that if you searched my username and "XDG Base Directory Specification" there'd probably be enough results from past instances of my advocacy to fill several pages. 😁

I know Rome wasn't built in a day and this is probably low-priority, but as the behavior is present on both Windows and Linux, I couldn't see this being mentioned without taking a moment to voice my full-throated support. Thanks, as always.

• Hi @RogueScholar,

Thank you for your feedback! I'm happy to add a +1 vote on your behalf, and have now done so. Thanks for letting us know that this is valuable for you.

Franky

This discussion has been closed.