Feature Request - Country Access Restriction

Options
eldritch
eldritch
Community Member
edited January 2023 in Lounge

Please allow us to specify which countries are allowed access to our accounts. This is particularly useful for those of us that don't travel much. It seems awfully silly to even allow access from countries at all that we'll never visit.

Or am I suppose to assume that all countries are restricted outside of the country I created the account in which is why you have "Travel Mode"?

Please clarify.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi there @eldritch

Travel Mode is something you turn on and off yourself. While it's turned on, only vaults which are marked Safe For Travel will be available in the 1Password apps. This is so that if you are compelled to unlock 1Password at a border, only those Safe For Travel vaults will be shown.

Use Travel Mode to remove vaults from your devices when you travel

Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help. :)

— Grey

• eldritch
    eldritch
    Community Member
    Options

There might have been a misunderstanding. I'm not traveling. I simply want to prevent all countries that are outside of the USA from accessing any of my vaults as again I'm NOT traveling and so there's no reason for those countries to have access to my vaults.

If you could please provide detailed instructions with screenshots that would be helpful.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Isn’t country (geolocation) restriction a useless feature?

Criminals who want to attack your vault only need a VPN to fake their location?

• @eldritch

I tend to agree with @XIII, a feature that restricts access to your account based on country can be circumvented quite easily by an attacker just using a VPN service to make it look like they're in that country as well. It seems like one of those features that tries to make it look like a service is offering additional security when in reality the security benefit is slim or non-existent.

I simply want to prevent all countries that are outside of the USA from accessing any of my vaults as again I'm NOT traveling and so there's no reason for those countries to have access to my vaults.

None of those countries have access to your vaults. Only you have access to your vaults because only you know the secrets necessary to authenticate with your account and then decrypt your data: your account password and Secret Key. There's no way for anyone but you to access your accounts. You can read more about our security here: About the 1Password security model

-Dave

• eldritch
    eldritch
    Community Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

By that logic we should all just leave our cars unlocked and leave our doors open at home because if someone wants to rob us or break in it's just a matter of bringing a sledgehammer. Sure technically there's always a way to circumvent all security. You could also block access from all known bad actor IP's as well which is a simple known database that includes things like VPN IP banks.

This the most expensive solution out there for password management so hopefully this can be resolved without spending more money.

• @eldritch

Thank you for the feedback. While I can't make any promises, I've filed a feature request on your behalf with our product team so that they can look into this for the future for personal accounts. We do currently offer a feature that does block public VPNs and TOR, in addition to restricting access to certain countries, for our business accounts but not individual or family accounts: Create firewall rules in 1Password Business

-Dave

ref: PB-32712308

• eldritch
    eldritch
    Community Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

That's what I was afraid of, they want even more money for the business version to do that lol. Well thanks Dave, I appreciate you sending this request along that's awesome. I'd love to not have to pay more money for those features.

• Thank you again for the feedback. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.