Extension-less autofill in Safari in macOS Ventura

Kentzo
Kentzo
Community Member

On iOS I'm using 1P in Safari without the extension: it works well for me via Authentication Services (Autofill).

Does 1P8 on macOS integrates with the corresponding system API as well and is able to fill usernames and passwords without the extension?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.1
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hi @Kentzo,

It is indeed possible to use the 1Password 8 Mac app without the extension. Quick Access and Universal Autofill are both features of the app that can help you quickly locate and fill your data, I'll include some links in case you're interested in learning more about them:

That said, the latest suite of browser extensions do integrate with the desktop app more closely than they have in the past and I would encourage you to give them a try: Get 1Password in your Browser

Let me know if you give any of them a try or if you have any questions. 🙂

• Kentzo
    Kentzo
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

I see that 1P8's "Universal Autofill" is unrelated to Apple's Autofill and uses Accessibility API (which gives unconstrained access to all UI and forbidden in my environment) and not the [Authentication Services API] which is Apple's Autofill.(https://developer.apple.com/documentation/authenticationservices/ascredentialproviderviewcontroller) (as on iOS).

Are there plans to add support for that?

FWIW although I do not use the apps below I came across similar requests while researching this problem:

KeePass: https://github.com/keepassxreboot/keepassxc/issues/6265#issuecomment-1193124325
    MacPass: https://github.com/MacPass/MacPass/issues/1178#issue-972672925

• TOMillr
    TOMillr
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

@Kentzo I'd also like to know when support for the macOS AutoFill API is finally added to 1Password.

Dashlane, for example, already supports this feature of macOS:
    https://support.dashlane.com/hc/en-us/articles/5288328982802-Turn-on-the-alternative-Autofill-solution-in-Safari

• Dave_1P
    edited January 2023

@Kentzo and @TOMillr

I'm not personally aware of any plans to support the macOS AutoFill feature, especially since we already have 1Password in the browser and now Universal Autofill available on the Mac. Supporting a third filling method might make things too confusing for users but that's only my opinion. Using Universal Autofill would be the best option.

That being said, I hear your feedback about why you can't use Universal Autofill in your environment and I've passed along your request to the product team to consider for the future. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-30142465

• ordinarybeef
    ordinarybeef
    Community Member

I'd like to give my +1 for password autofill extension on Ventura. It should be the same functionality as on iOS, so password managers should integrate with that for best OS support. 1Password was so quick to jump onto it when it got added to iOS, so it's a bit sad to see that the macos variant doesn't have any plans for support yet.

Just a random thought, but would sideload the iOS app on macOS add support for this? If the extension API is identical (it might, it might not be, I'm not sure), the iOS app may already integrate with it

• @ordinarybeef

Thank you for the feedback, I've passed it along to the product team.

Just a random thought, but would sideload the iOS app on macOS add support for this? If the extension API is identical (it might, it might not be, I'm not sure), the iOS app may already integrate with it

We don't support running the iOS version of 1Password on macOS. Using 1Password 8 for Mac with Universal Autofill will give you the best experience on the Mac since it was designed for the Mac. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-30425588

• bhanafee
    bhanafee
    Community Member

Either I'm confused about what 1Password is saying here, or 1Password is confused about the ask.

The integration on my phone and on my iPad is what I want on my Mac:

Surely 1Password doesn't think that hacking around with Accessibility settings is better than that, right? If that's your go-forward approach, I'm re-evaluating password managers when my current subscription expires.

• @bhanafee

We don't currently support the native AutoFill feature, you can fill logins using either 1Password in the browser or Universal Autofill:

That being said, I've passed along your feedback to the team. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-32141212

• bhanafee
    bhanafee
    Community Member

Thank you for passing along the feedback. It's particularly aggravating because I have some Passkey usage (login.gov) so can't easily turn off native AutoFill. The result is dueling auto-"help" on many sites.

• You're welcome @bhanafee, we appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback.

• seanzxx
    seanzxx
    Community Member

Please do pass this feedback to the team.
    I also would love to see this feature in 1Password.
    According to 1password blog, 1password had plan to add support for macOS AutoFill.
    https://blog.1password.com/autofill-on-big-sur/

I just tried the Dashlane which has support for the native Autofill.
    It is so great.
    I don't need the app running at the background.
    It just pops up when I need a password like it should be on iOS.

It definitely brings the 1Password to the next level.

This discussion has been closed.