Transfer "master" account of a 1Password family from one family member to another

eeljazz
eeljazz
Community Member

Hi

I'm in a family account that I helped set up for my family. My mother is the "account master", meaning she pays for the family subscription and also gets new emails when a member leaves or joins (and has to confirm/deny such changes). Though this obviously doesn't happen often, it would be far more appropriate for me to be this "master account" as I'm the only IT professional in the family. Is it possible to transfer this "role" from mom to me?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

The role you're searching is called family organizer. If you want to make your account family organizer, any other family organizer like your mother needs to open the member list of your family account, open your entry where you see vault access and registered devices, then change your role from family member to family organizer.

I didn't do this before, but if you want to change the role of your mother from organizer to member, you probably cannot do this from the account of your mother but login to your own now promoted account and change the role of your mother to member. But you can also keep her as organizer. It's not a bad idea to have 2 organizers, because only organizers can recover inaccessible accounts, for example if you forgot your password or secret key.

• Hello @eeljazz! πŸ‘‹

As Tertius3 said, you can have your mother make you a second family organizer for your 1Password Families membership: About family organizers in 1Password Families

Let me know if you have any questions. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• eeljazz
    eeljazz
    Community Member

Found it! Many thanks, Tertus3. I was expecting to be able to make this change from the "Actions" button when selecting the checkbox next to a family member's name... instead, apparently, you need to click a name and make the change on the screen that opens. But hey, I solved my issue so I won't complain.

Thanks again!

• @eeljazz

Great! Let us know if you have any other questions in the future. πŸ™‚

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.