Export iOS Vault to CSV

Options
csriyer
csriyer
Community Member

With recent events of hacks happening on a daily basis, I wish to export my data from 1Password iOS app into a plain CSV file or any readable format and keep it safe in a local machine (no cloud backups). How can I get data exported out my iOS app? I do not want to subscribe monthly to get this simple task done. I am seeing this as a one-time activity and going back to old school!!

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 15
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Export Vault from iOS App

Comments

• Hello @csriyer! 👋

I don't recommend exporting your passwords since that will remove them from the secure and encrypted environment of 1Password. Any exported copy of your passwords will be in plain text and so will be readable by anyone who views it.

With recent events of hacks happening on a daily basis, I wish to export my data from 1Password iOS app into a plain CSV file or any readable format and keep it safe in a local machine (no cloud backups).

The security of your passwords and personal data is something that we worry about a lot as well. You might be interested to hear that 1Password is designed so that your passwords remain secret and protected even if our servers are hacked!

The difference between the services whose data breeches you may have read about in the news and 1Password is the end-to-end encryption that 1Password uses. Other services either store their information in the cloud unencrypted or encrypted using a key that they control. With 1Password all of your information is stored encrypted using your own private keys that are derived from two secrets that only you know: your 1Password account password and your Secret Key.

This means that no one but you can decrypt your information. Even if 1Password was hacked the hackers would only find encrypted gibberish that means nothing without your 1Password account password and Secret Key.

All that being said, you can certainly export your data if you wish. The iOS app doesn't include the export feature but you can use one of the desktop apps to export your items: How to export data from 1Password.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.