Clicking on Settings in the Safari extension results in an error

elyscape
elyscape
Community Member

When tapping on "Settings" in the Safari extension, a new tab is opened in Safari and an error is displayed, reading:

Safari cannot open the page because the address is invalid.

I did some digging and this happens because the extension attempts to navigate to onepassword8://settings. 1Password 7 doesn't register an handler for the onepassword8 URI scheme, instead registering for onepassword and onepassword7. It's unclear why the 1Password 7 extension is using the URI scheme for 1Password 8, but it should be a simple fix.

1Password Version: 7.9.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 15.5

Comments

• elyscape
    elyscape
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

As an additional data point, manually navigating to onepassword7://settings opens 1Password 7 to the Safari extension settings page, but onepassword://settings just opens the app.

• Hello @elyscape! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that you've run into an error message when opening Settings from inside of 1Password for Safari. I can confirm that our developers are aware of the issue and plan to release a fix in the future. While I'm not able to provide any sort of forecast as to if or when we'll be able to resolve this issue, I can tell you that we're aware that it's something in need of fixing.

Thank you for reporting the bug! 😊

ref: dev/core/core#15548

• bvoorhees
    bvoorhees
    Community Member
    edited July 2022

Hi.

I wish to report the same problem but also give a sense of customer impact, which I find to be not so great.

This has to do with default settings. The private vault is the default vault in 1Password for all iOS products. I don’t use that vault. I usually set the vault for saving passwords to a different vault (that I share with my spouse).

Since I cannot access the safari extension settings, I am forced to toggle the vault every single time I save a new login.

I actually really otherwise love the safari extension for iOS, so to have to manually toggle the vault every time I use it to save a new login creates a bit of friction in the UX, and it adds up in annoyance over time.

Hope this helps!

• wquartner
    wquartner
    Community Member

Has this been solved yet? I’m having the same issue

• @bvoorhees,

Thanks for sharing more details and the kind words, specific use cases give us context to better advocate for improvements so I appreciate you taking the time to explain your situation. I've added you to our internal bug report for the issue. In the meantime, have you tried @elyscape's workaround: manually entering onepassword7://settings into the address bar? Perhaps it can relieve some of the UX friction in the meantime. I appreciate your patience!

@wquartner,

Thanks for sharing your update on this thread, I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this bug. I've also added you to our internal tracker, and though I don't have a timeline to share, I'm looking forward to seeing this fixed. 👍🏻

• I see this does still happen when trying to edit. I've flagged that instance for our developers to take another pass at. 👍️

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#15548

• AdamD
    AdamD
    Community Member

Hi, is this any closer to being fixed? None of the following works for me:

onepassword7://settings
    onepassword8://settings
    onepassword://settings

I’ve just deleted and reinstalled iPassword 8 in case that fixes it, but nope.

This is beyond inconvenient for me, because I use different vaults and I have no way of setting a default or excluding vaults on my iPhone or iPad. Because all my accounts from all my vaults show in an unsorted and unlabelled list, I don’t know which password to choose without a load of extra taps/clicks.

• 2arrs2ells
    2arrs2ells
    Community Member

Hi - jumping in to confirm that this remains an active issue, and none of the workarounds posted in this thread are working for me.

Deeply frustrating to have no way of editing the extension settings.

This discussion has been closed.