Password genrator does not appear in Password 8 Mac. It is not in the circle next to the search bar

Options
margom
margom
Community Member

I recently upgraded to 1Password 8 on my browser to match Password 8 app, as they were no longer syncing properly. So far, I hate the new browser version. Password generator has disappeared. I followed the instructions posted in December to another member, and the circle next to the search bar does not offer Password Generator. I have 5 "help" options. I also tried the "+ New Item" button, which also does not offer Password Generator. How do I locate the password generator or, alternatively, how do I go back to 1Password7 on both my browser and my iPhone. Thank you.

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: 2.5.1
OS Version: Mac 12.6.1
Browser:_ Firefox
Referrer: forum-search:password generator

Comments

• Hi @margom 👋🏻

You can find the Password Generator in 1Password for your browser by clicking the "hamburger" menu icon, as shown in this screenshot:

• margom
    margom
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Kester, Thank you for responding. Unfortunately, I do not have a "hamburger icon" - only the search menu, then a help circle, then the "new item". I hope that my attempt to attach a screenshot worked.

• margom
    margom
    Community Member
    Options

P.S. If I widen the page, the "hamburger" still does not appear. I did try that.

• margom
    margom
    Community Member
    Options

Also, the version I am running is Password for Mac 8.9.12. I am running in on Firefox 108.0.2. My Mac (2019) is running Monterey 12.6.1

• ctry
    ctry
    Community Member
    Options

The hamburger button is in the extension dropdown, but as far as I can tell there's no way to access the generator from the actual desktop app, which seems like a weird omission.

• kjdiehl
    kjdiehl
    Community Member
    Options

The password generator IS available in the Mac desktop software, but rather buried. If you click New Item, Login, select Password field, Create a New Password, THEN the generator appears. You can also get to it by opening an item, click Edit, select Password field, and Create a New Password. The generator appears here too.

• margom
    margom
    Community Member
    Options

Hi kjdiehl, THANK YOU!!! That worked. A royal pain in the butt - why did they bury it? I use Password Generator all the time. I am seriously regretting updating -- 1Password8 has added nothing I need and removed things I used. This is true of both the desktop version and iPhone app. It would be nice if the iPhone app also had a Password Generator (unless it is also buried somewhere).

• ctry
    ctry
    Community Member
    Options

There does not seem to be a standalone generator pane, but similarly you can get to the generator by creating a new item, then selecting the password field and tapping the “Create a New Password” prompt above the keyboard.

• margom
    margom
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you.

• Glad you've got things sorted, @margom! If you're open to sharing more about your use case for a password generator, I'd be happy to pass that feedback along to the right folks internally. The current workflow is that a password generator is available when creating a new item, so I'm interested to know if there are times you need one outside of item creation.

And thank you folks for jumping in with the additional information, all very appreciated. 💙

This discussion has been closed.