edited January 2023 in Lounge

are "rich icons" stored unencrypted. ... what is the risk for that

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @1passquest! 👋

We have an article answering that question here: About rich icons and your privacy

Specifically:

Icons you add to your items in 1Password are encrypted with the rest of your data. However, the rich icons that are automatically downloaded are not encrypted.

Let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

-Dave

• 1passquest
    1passquest
    Community Member

thanks for sending that article. i dont understand what a rich icon versus an icon is. what is benefit of keeping rich icons turned on?

• 1passquest
    1passquest
    Community Member

i googled rich icon, and it was confusing to me

• Hi @1passquest

"Rich Icons" are icons provided by 1Password for websites based on the URL you enter into your Login items. For example, if you save a Login item for google.com, 1Password will retrieve and display an appropriate icon for that site, if enabled. Alternatively you can add custom icons to your items yourself.

Rich icons are not encrypted. Custom icons are.

Ben

• 1passquest
    1passquest
    Community Member

how is a "rich" icon different from a regular icon.

• 1passquest
    1passquest
    Community Member

now that i am understanding this rich icon thing more, why not just allow me to download ALL the rich icons into one file (not sure how big that would be) or why not download them from the actual website i am going to which knows i am there anyways)

• @1passquest

I believe that our rich icons server holds high quality icons for hundreds of thousands of websites, the size of the database would be inconvenient to store locally on your device. You'd also be storing a lot of icons for websites that you'll never use which would be a waste of space.

why not download them from the actual website i am going to which knows i am there anyways

There's no universal standard that websites follow to include an logo that 1Password can use as an icon. In many cases we have to look for and make sure that the images that are added to the rich icons database are high quality enough to be included.

-Dave

• 1passquest
    1passquest
    Community Member

thx

• @1passquest

It's my pleasure. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.