Use Suggested Password

iAintGonDunDoxMe
iAintGonDunDoxMe
Community Member
edited January 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

How can I control the format of this feature? When I am making a new login and click in the password box I get only shown a password like DEN8ixe!cde*dxg!gdn

However, many sites won't accept a password this long, and won't accept * as input either. I need to simplify.

I just need 1 special character, 1 number, and 1 capital letter, and roughly 10 characters long.

How can I do this?

1Password Version: Mac 8.9.13
Extension Version: 2.5.1 (Safari)
OS Version: macOS 13.1
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• iAintGonDunDoxMe
    iAintGonDunDoxMe
    Community Member

• iAintGonDunDoxMe
    iAintGonDunDoxMe
    Community Member

This is resolved. Setting can be altered within Safari's extension preferences that 1Password offers.

• I'm glad you're all sorted! From the 1Password in your browser extension window, you can choose your 'suggested password' preferences from the Password Generator. Enabling 'Use as default for suggestions' will remember these preferences when suggesting future passwords.

• trixiesirisheyes
    trixiesirisheyes
    Community Member

I'm confused. I want to turn off the suggested password feature altogether. How can I do this?

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni

Hi @trixiesirisheyes - Thanks for following up here 🙂

The 'Use Suggested Password' prompt will show automatically based on a setting in 1Password in the browser (browser extension). Here is how to disable that:

1. Right click on the 1Password icon in the browser's toolbar and select 'Settings'.
    2. Scroll down to the Autofill section.
    3. Ensure 'Show autofill menu on field focus' is toggled Off.

Let us know how you get on!

• mike3825
    mike3825
    Community Member

I'm still not understanding. I'm using 1password in Safari and here is what I get when I click on the 'autofill' field:

• Hi @mike3825,

Do you see a small 1Password icon in your browser toolbar?

It looks like you are currently in the settings for Safari. In order to follow Paul's steps you will need to right click the 1Password icon next to the address bar and choose Settings.

I hope this helps!

• mike3825
    mike3825
    Community Member

Hi Steph,

This is what I see on my address bar:

When I click on the icon to the left of the address bar I get this:

When I click on manage extension I get this:

There is also a 1password icon on the toolbar on the right. I've tried clicking on them both and it looks like neither give the results you say.

• Hey @mike3825,

My apologies it looks like you are still using 1Password 7 which would explain why the steps do not make much sense to you.

I would highly recommend upgrading to 1Password 8 and the latest version of 1Password for Safari so you can enjoy all of our new features and fixes. Here's how:

Let me know how you get on!

• mike3825
    mike3825
    Community Member

We're making progress Steph,

I don't know why I wouldn't have upgraded before, I must have missed the notice about it.

Here's what I see now:

Something else that I've never understood is why I need both 1password8 for Mac and also 1password for Safari. Why wouldn't 1password for Safari work by itself? Or why wouldn't 1password8 for Mac work on any browser?

Thanks,

Mike

• Hi Mike,

Thank you for getting back to me.

You can use 1Password for Safari independently without having the 1Password for Mac app but with both installed you can enjoy additional features when it comes to auto lock settings and organising your data.

To use 1Password in any browser you will need to install the relevant browser extension, previously 1Password 7 did come packaged with the Safari extension but now you can install it separately as you can with our other supported browsers.

I hope this clears things up, in order to follow the steps you were previously looking for you need to right click the 1Password icon in your Safari browser toolbar.

• mike3825
    mike3825
    Community Member

Hi Steph,

I think I have it working now. If I have any more problems I'll let you know. Thanks again.

• mike3825
    mike3825
    Community Member

I spoke too soon. Now the problem is that even though I've turned off the automatic locking under 'security' and also tried to set it for '8 hours' it still keeps locking every time Safari is closed and also after about 10 minutes.

• Hi @mike3825,

Can you start by right clicking on the 1Password icon and make sure 'Integrate with 1Password app' is enabled?

With this enabled you have a little more control over the auto lock settings of 1Password in your browser as it shares the settings of your 1Password app. Next give your computer a complete restart to ensure there are no pending processes preventing your browser from connecting with 1Password.

Now you should be able to follow the steps in this guide to manage the auto lock settings of 1Password in your browser: Manage auto lock in the 1Password app.

Let me know how you get on!

• mike3825
    mike3825
    Community Member

I don't see 'integrate with 1password'. Here is what I have done: I've logged into my account at 1password.com and clicked on my profile, then clicked on the 'gear' icon in the lower left-hand corner, then set the lock time to the maximum 300 minutes.

Clicking on the 1password icon in the safari toolbar still shows the auto lock time not clicked and grayed out. If I go to 'finder' and click on the '1password for safari' app this pops up:

If I click on the 'open safari preferences I get this :

There isn't an option to click on 'Always allow on every website'.

The version of 1password for Safari that is installed and running (but that 1password keeps telling me to install0 is 2.6.0.

I remember now why I never upgraded to version 8. 1password is a great program but the setup and upgrade procedures are WAY more complicated than they should be. You really need to simplify that. You also need to have a tech support phone number paying subscribers can call with problems. And what you really need is a way for you to screen share so I don't have to keep taking screenshots and waiting a day for the next troubleshooting steps.

• mike3825
    mike3825
    Community Member

It's also still locking after 10 minutes of inactivity!

• @mike3825

Check the settings here. A right-click is needed.

--

or

• mike3825
    mike3825
    Community Member

Nope

• @mike3825

When you open those setting they will look like this.

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2023

You'll need to right-click on top of the 1Password icon in the tool bar.

• mike3825
    mike3825
    Community Member

I think I've found why I'm not seeing the screens you are. I have a 1password icon on the left side of the address bar and also on the right side of the safari tool bar. I was clicking on the one on the right side of the safari tool bar. Why is there two and why are they different?

Now maybe you can help with my other problem. Since I upgraded to version 8 I can't get it to not lock after 1o minutes even though in one spot I've turned off the auto lock feature and in another spot I've set it for 300 minutes.

• Hi @mike3825,

The 1Password icon on the top right of the screen is in the Mac menu bar and is related to the 1Password app. This icon allows you to access the 1Password app, lock it, open the Quick Access menu, view Settings, or quit the app. The 1Password icon on the left of the screen in the Safari browser toolbar is the 1Password extension icon which allows you to use 1Password in your browser.

You mentioned some locking issues. Can you confirm if your Security settings for the 1Password extension are being controlled by the app or extension itself? Here's how to do that:

1. Right-click on the 1Password icon in the browser's toolbar and select "Settings".
    2. Scroll down to the Security section to view your settings. If the app is controlling the Security settings it will say "Manage security settings in the 1Password app".

I look forward to hearing from you!

• mike3825
    mike3825
    Community Member

The lightbulb has just turned on over my head. I now totally understand the difference between the 1password for Mac and 1password for safari browser apps. It's one of those things that makes perfect sense and seems so obvious now.

Anyway, when I do what you asked I do see the"Manage security settings in the 1Password app".

• mike3825
    mike3825
    Community Member

Anyone still available to help me with this?

• Hi @mike3825,

|I'm sorry for the delay, thank you for confirming what you see. The auto lock settings in your browser and shared with your 1Password app so you can set the auto lock timer within here. Here's how: How to set 1Password to lock automatically.

I hope this helps!

• mike3825
    mike3825
    Community Member

Neither one of these fix the problem. Here are pictures of my current settings and it still locks after 10 minutes.

• Thank you for getting back to me @mike3825.

In your first screenshot you have 'Lock after the computer is idle' set to 10 minutes. Can you try extending this time and let me know if it improves things?

The second screenshot is for your auto lock settings on 1Password.com, this will not have any effect on your browser extension.

Let me know if you have any questions.

• mike3825
    mike3825
    Community Member

I'll try that but the check-box isn't checked so it's not supposed to be turned on. I've now clicked the box and changed the setting to "never". I'll let you know what happens. Thanks

• @mike3825,

Let us know how you get on, the check box will only affect when the computer sleeps it won't have an affect when the computer is idle.

• mike3825
    mike3825
    Community Member

So now I'm getting confused. Are you saying that if the computer goes into screen saver mode, if that box is not checked, 1password should not lock? Because it does.

This discussion has been closed.