Why does it seem like I have to retype the keyboard shortcut twice

Options
MikeTheCanuck
MikeTheCanuck
Community Member

I grew up on 1Password's pre-v8 experience where I hit [Cmd]-\ once, I unlock the password vault, and the matching creds were automatically filled into the browser fields. Super-speedy responsiveness, no waiting wondering whether I mistyped, always fills in for sites I've visited before.

My experience since upgrading to v8 (desktop + browser extensions) is
1. hit [Cmd]-\
2. wait a few seconds for unlock prompt (now with TouchID, which is nice) and unlock the vault
3. wait
4. finally decide that 1Password isn't going to fill the creds for me
5. hit [Cmd]-\ again
6. wait a few more seconds, wondering if it's going to fill my creds this time

Generally after step 6 I'm finally into the authenticated site (barring PEBCAK issues).

So really I guess I have two asks:
1. Can we improve 1Password 8's experience so that I only have to hit [Cmd]-\ once - bringing back the pre-v8 experience?
2. Can we speed up the 1Password vault's responsiveness, so that I'm not waiting seconds and wondering if 1Password crashed/locked up/didnt get my request?

Still love the potential of the product to stay my favoured password manager, but getting frustrated at feeling like I traded "simplicity" and "responsiveness" for "a common codebase that made things better for the vendor".

1Password Version: 8.9.11
Extension Version: 2.5.1
OS Version: macOS 13.0.1
Browser:_ Brave, Firefox, Chrome

Comments

• @MikeTheCanuck

A little bit on the odd side of things here, but you described pre-1Password 8. By chance, did you restore a backup onto another Mac (M1)? I've seen some delays like this where something like Migration Assistant accidentally restored an Intel version of 1Password 8 onto an M1 Mac. Could that apply to you? If so, let me know, and I can get you the instructions for replacing the desktop app.

The other possibility is it's not this, and we need to dig deeper. In that case, I'd like to get you over to my colleagues in email support.

I would also recommend updating to 13.1 when possible. Additionally, please update 1Password 8 for Mac to see if that alleviates the trouble. 8.9.13 is the latest version. I also show that the latest extension, 1Password in the browser is version 2.5.2. You may want to see if updates are available for your browser extension. If nothing else, we'll have ruled out these possibilities if we need to get you over to email support and possibly saved you a couple of emails.

• With all of the potential changes above it might also be prudent to give the Mac a restart too.
  • MikeTheCanuck
    MikeTheCanuck
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Tommy! Abusive customer as I apparently am, I typed this report again a week later in this thread, and finally responded with some encouraging signs of better behaviours since:
    https://1password.community/discussion/136856/why-does-it-feel-like-i-have-to-retype-the-keyboard-shortcut-twice#latest

At least today, with macOS 13.2.1, 1P8.10.5, extension 2.7.0 and current version of Brave, this is better than it was. Probably nothing more to see here, but figured I'd do you the minor courtesy of responding [better late than never].

• @MikeTheCanuck

Please update 1Password in the browser when you can. The most current version is 2.9.0 unless that was a typo above. That may give you a better chance at locating the issues you've been encountering. No worries, answer when you can. We appreciate you taking the time to do that. We're glad to have you with us.

This discussion has been closed.